Recieved My Mya Vortex...something Is Wrong

As stated in the title I just recieved my MYA Vortex in the mail. My hookah before this 1 was a horrible cheap $60 2 hose no brand name hookah. So I was assuming it would be a HUGE difference. Well I think im doing something wrong or the MYA Vortex isnt as good as my crap other hookah. So got couple questions.

1-On the hose adapters there are screws and little ball bearings. The ball bearings go on the bottom and then you put the screw on place so it doesnt fall out correct?

2-There are 3 holes I can screw my hose adapters into and 1 hose that has a little ball with it sticking out with 3 holes inside. I was told not to put my hose adapters in that because that is sort of like a. Sorry forgot.

3-The bowl in this is alot deeper than my other bowl. My other bowl is shallower and wider and this bowl is deeper and not as wide. I pack my bowls with alot more shisha in this bowl because I can but it burns and the sessions last half as long. And it gets harsh VERY fast in this new bowl.

4-The hose on my other crap hookah is skinny and this hose is alittle bit more wide. My other hose I could draw for a long time but this hose I can only draw for a small amount of time because its wider. But it doesnt have as much smoke as my old hookah either.

I just dont get it. I had the shisha/sessions last WAY longer in my old hookah and had my clouds alot bigger. Im putting the same amount of water in both. Filling the base up until 3/4" - 1" of the stem is submerged in water. Please if you owned the MYA Vortex or know what could be wrong adive/help would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks

If you like your other bowl better, use that bowl. The hose is wider, so you're getting more airflow in less time. It's supposed to be like that.

I don't understand what you're saying about the hose adapters. Pictures might help. I think you're saying there's a purge valve and 2 hose adapters...

The MYA will smoke much better than your old hookah once you learn how to use it correctly. Please post pictures so we can help you.

keep playing around with what your doing. even though i dont understand half of what your trying to describe! lol

i dont own a mya (yet) but i know what its like to go from a generic hookah to a brand name one. and it is different. but just keep playing with everything till you get it how you like it.

QUOTE (Zinite @ Jan 3 2009, 12:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you like your other bowl better, use that bowl. The hose is wider, so you're getting more airflow in less time. It's supposed to be like that.

I don't understand what you're saying about the hose adapters. Pictures might help. I think you're saying there's a purge valve and 2 hose adapters...

The MYA will smoke much better than your old hookah once you learn how to use it correctly. Please post pictures so we can help you.

Yes I have 3 places to add hose adapters and the other hole is were the purge valve. I understand the hose is wider and the airflows much faster but it doesnt get as big clouds as my old hookah.

You'll get teh clouds in time, play with the water level a bit and it should work itself out. Other variables include the packing of the bowl, coals, bowl size, etc. Make sure the hookah is airtight too, if your not using all the hoses then put the plugs in, instead of the hose adapters.

Yah I leave the plug in 1 hole because im always using 2 hoses(1 for me and 1 for my friend) and the other hole has the purge valve thing. I used the same shisha the same coals the same amount of coals the same heat management and pretty much same packing. But why does this shisha burn SOOO much faster and get harsher WAY faster.

QUOTE (digitalbass @ Jan 3 2009, 02:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yah I leave the plug in 1 hole because im always using 2 hoses(1 for me and 1 for my friend) and the other hole has the purge valve thing. I used the same shisha the same coals the same amount of coals the same heat management and pretty much same packing. But why does this shisha burn SOOO much faster and get harsher WAY faster.

Try using your old bowl. Sounds like you just don't like the MYA bowl. I didn't either. The MYA bowls are OK, but your original is what you're use to. Try that, and maybe add a bit more water.

QUOTE (digitalbass @ Jan 3 2009, 01:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Because you're using a different bowl and haven't gotten used to it yet. Your clouds aren't as big because you haven't mastered your new set up yet.

Since you have two hose ports, make sure that if you're only smoking out of one hose you plug the other port. The hookah should have come with plugs (if not, you can get them anywhere, they're just rubber stoppers).

QUOTE (Zinite @ Jan 3 2009, 01:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Because you're using a different bowl and haven't gotten used to it yet. Your clouds aren't as big because you haven't mastered your new set up yet.

Since you have two hose ports, make sure that if you're only smoking out of one hose you plug the other port. The hookah should have come with plugs (if not, you can get them anywhere, they're just rubber stoppers).

So what should I be playing around with? The water level and what else? Also the ports that arent being used by either a hose adapter with a hose being used or the purge valve is plugged.

QUOTE (digitalbass @ Jan 3 2009, 01:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So what should I be playing around with? The water level and what else? Also the ports that arent being used by either a hose adapter with a hose being used or the purge valve is plugged.

So you don't have any open hose ports? That would cause air to be drawn in instead of smoke.

Water level won't matter much as long as you're keeping it around 1" above the downstem.

Try using your old bowl on the Vortex and see if you can get it to smoke okay. It just sounds like you're using a new bowl and not packing it correctly.

I have a Mya Vortex, and it's a fantastic hookah. It'll take a little time to master, but it's not too hard. Great flavor and HUGE "F off!" clouds are easily obtainable once you dial things in.

Try the water level about 1/2" below the bottom line where the design starts on the vase. I've found the stem only needs to be submerged about 1/2" in water to smoke well. Any more and I feel I get slightly less smoke.

As for your auto-seal hose ports, and purge valve, I'd only have enough hose ports on the hookah that you are planning on using. Be sure to use the small screw port stoppers to plug ports you're not going to be using. I usually have the purge port screwed in, 2 of the screw in port stoppers, and one hose port.

Before you smoke your next bowl, assemble everything, and then put your hand on top of your bowl to cover it entirely, and suck through your hose. You should have a vacuum tight lock against your hand more or less. If you hear a fair amount of air leaking from somewhere, identify it and report back here so we can assist further.

A lot of people don't like the Mya bowls, so use your other if you're more familiar with it already. You'll likely eventually move on to phunnel bowls like most everyone else on this board. Don't worry about it quite yet, just master the Vortex as you have it now, then you can introduce a phunnel and mastering that later on.

Last note, it sounds like you might be burning your shisha, as you're unfamiliar with the Mya bowl. It's always best to start with less heat, and work your way up as needed, by adding another coal (or even 1/2's). Getting good flavor and smoke volume is mainly heat management, which takes some time to learn on every bowl / hookah.

Good luck... don't get discouraged too fast... it really does take some time to learn well.

QUOTE (rigor @ Jan 3 2009, 01:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a Mya Vortex, and it's a fantastic hookah. It'll take a little time to master, but it's not too hard. Great flavor and HUGE "F off!" clouds are easily obtainable once you dial things in.

Try the water level about 1/2" below the bottom line where the design starts on the vase. I've found the stem only needs to be submerged about 1/2" in water to smoke well. Any more and I feel I get slightly less smoke.

As for your auto-seal hose ports, and purge valve, I'd only have enough hose ports on the hookah that you are planning on using. Be sure to use the small screw port stoppers to plug ports you're not going to be using. I usually have the purge port screwed in, 2 of the screw in port stoppers, and one hose port.

Before you smoke your next bowl, assemble everything, and then put your hand on top of your bowl to cover it entirely, and suck through your hose. You should have a vacuum tight lock against your hand more or less. If you hear a fair amount of air leaking from somewhere, identify it and report back here so we can assist further.

A lot of people don't like the Mya bowls, so use your other if you're more familiar with it already. You'll likely eventually move on to phunnel bowls like most everyone else on this board. Don't worry about it quite yet, just master the Vortex as you have it now, then you can introduce a phunnel and mastering that later on.

Last note, it sounds like you might be burning your shisha, as you're unfamiliar with the Mya bowl. It's always best to start with less heat, and work your way up as needed, by adding another coal (or even 1/2's). Getting good flavor and smoke volume is mainly heat management, which takes some time to learn on every bowl / hookah.

Good luck... don't get discouraged too fast... it really does take some time to learn well.

^^^^^^^^^^^
what he said.

QUOTE (Zinite @ Jan 3 2009, 01:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (digitalbass @ Jan 3 2009, 01:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So you don't have any open hose ports? That would cause air to be drawn in instead of smoke.

Water level won't matter much as long as you're keeping it around 1" above the downstem.

Try using your old bowl on the Vortex and see if you can get it to smoke okay. It just sounds like you're using a new bowl and not packing it correctly.

No. I use 2 of the ports for hoses, I seal up 1 port with the screw in seal thing and my last port is for my purge valve.

QUOTE (digitalbass @ Jan 3 2009, 01:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No. I use 2 of the ports for hoses, I seal up 1 port with the screw in seal thing and my last port is for my purge valve.

Are the ports autosealing? As in, do the hose ports have a ball bearing in them? If they aren't you need to place your thumb over the opposite hose when you're smoking. If you don't do this, you'll just be sucking in the air from the other hose.

QUOTE (rigor @ Jan 3 2009, 01:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ill try that 1/2" below were the design start and see hows that works. And as for having no open ports I dont. I use 2 hoses and plug 1 port and the other port is my purge valve. Ill try that air tight seal thing. Possibly there is a leak somewere that is why it isnt giving off good clouds. Yah I wanted to get a phunnel bowl sometime later but right now im trying to get the standards down before i upgrade and get more complicated. I tried using 2 coals like my old bowl but it would burn so damn fast and get harsh so fast it wasnt funny. I tried using 1 coal broken in half and it wouldnt even heat up the shisha to fill up the base. Then I tried 1 1/2 coals in 3 pieces all broken in half and that seemed so far to be the best. Would it be the bowl thats causing the shisha to taste not as good as my other hookah?

Thanks for all your guys help.

QUOTE (Zinite @ Jan 3 2009, 01:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (digitalbass @ Jan 3 2009, 01:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are the ports autosealing? As in, do the hose ports have a ball bearing in them? If they aren't you need to place your thumb over the opposite hose when you're smoking. If you don't do this, you'll just be sucking in the air from the other hose.

Yes both of the hose adapters have the ball bearings in them. But 1 of my hose adapters which I dont use has no ball bearing or small screw to keep the ball bearing in place. Is there a reason why 2 of he hose adapters have them and 1 doesnt?

the one without is for solo smoking so you can blow back into the hookah and purge... try using the non auto seal hose adapter it should be a lot better then the auto seal deals... at least as far as draw goes...

QUOTE (kvtaco17 @ Jan 3 2009, 01:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the one without is for solo smoking so you can blow back into the hookah and purge... try using the non auto seal hose adapter it should be a lot better then the auto seal deals... at least as far as draw goes...

If I use 1 w/out the auto seal and some1 using the auto seal 1 wont it be even worse like that?

QUOTE (digitalbass @ Jan 3 2009, 05:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If I use 1 w/out the auto seal and some1 using the auto seal 1 wont it be even worse like that?

The person without autoseal will have a better pull, but they need to plug the hose when they're not hitting the hookah

QUOTE (digitalbass @ Jan 3 2009, 02:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you're smoking with multiple people, use the auto seals. He's saying that if you're going to be smoking by yourself, use the one without the auto seal so that you can still use the purge valve.

Digitalbass,

Please read the rules.

We have a zero tolerance policy towards the use of any reference to any illegal substance. Period.

Your account has been suspended for 7 days in line with current policy.

Best Regards,

JD

QUOTE (digitalbass @ Jan 3 2009, 12:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Totally fine. Use your hose port adapter w/o the bearing if you're going to be the only person smoking. That port has a slightly bigger diameter, as mentioned by others. However, it is a very minor difference - practically no difference to be honest.

As said, the port w/o the bearing will allow you to blow back into the hookah and out through the purge port, to clear "stale" smoke, if you stop smoking for a few minutes. This can be kind of handy when smoking solo, but if you are managing your heat correctly, you won't need to do that anyway, for the most part.

If 2 or more people are smoking, use an auto-seal port for each person smoking. You can have up to 4. The purge port becomes not useable when using the auto-seals, as you can't blow back through those anyway, due to the bearing blocking it.

Hope this clears it up for you.

QUOTE (rigor @ Jan 3 2009, 02:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Half an inch below the design is optimum? Can I ask which Vortex design you have because the one I have is different to the ones on the pictures on the various stores:

http://www.hookah-shisha.com/store/pc/cata...3-Smoke---L.jpg

Mine has a square shaped design on the side, doesnt look as good as that one above, damn you H-S! sad.gif.