Lots Of Smoke, Not Much Flavor

Hey All,

I just got my first hookah (a Mya QT) a few weeks ago, and so far, I've been getting plenty of smooth smoke, but not much flavor from it.

I've tried a number of different shishas, like AF peach and watermelon, which many reviews on the forum say have borderline too much flavor, as well as Romman strawberry and vanilla, but I still I don't get much from it. I definitely get SOME flavor, but nothing I would describe as being strong, like I've gotten at hookah bars. Basically it's just flavorless smoke with a very, very slight hint of whatever flavor the shisha is.

I've also tried both the Mya bowl that came with the hookah and a Phunnel.

Does anyone have any ideas about what I'm doing wrong?

Don't know... I've had this problem for almost a year now. Tried everything to no avail. Weird thing is, whenever I smoke with friends they always mention how flavourful the smoke is. Guess it's just my taste buds being fried.

Oh and I don't taste anything at the hookah bars anymore either.

QUOTE (erufiku @ Dec 31 2008, 05:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't know... I've had this problem for almost a year now. Tried everything to no avail. Weird thing is, whenever I smoke with friends they always mention how flavourful the smoke is. Guess it's just my taste buds being fried.

Oh and I don't taste anything at the hookah bars anymore either.

It does sound like a heat issue.

Erufiku, have you considered taking a little break? I'm sure your system will appriciate it if you can no longer taste your smoke. huh.gif

QUOTE (prozak64 @ Dec 31 2008, 02:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey All,

I just got my first hookah (a Mya QT) a few weeks ago, and so far, I've been getting plenty of smooth smoke, but not much flavor from it.

I've tried a number of different shishas, like AF peach and watermelon, which many reviews on the forum say have borderline too much flavor, as well as Romman strawberry and vanilla, but I still I don't get much from it. I definitely get SOME flavor, but nothing I would describe as being strong, like I've gotten at hookah bars. Basically it's just flavorless smoke with a very, very slight hint of whatever flavor the shisha is.

I've also tried both the Mya bowl that came with the hookah and a Phunnel.

Does anyone have any ideas about what I'm doing wrong?

What kind of coals are you using and how much of them? Is your hookah clean?

QUOTE (MadBubbler @ Dec 31 2008, 02:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Erufiku, have you considered taking a little break? I'm sure your system will appriciate it if you can no longer taste your smoke. huh.gif

Yeah... during the summer I took a long break. I smoked maybe one bowl every two-three weeks. After 3 months I just decided to keep on smoking regardless of the lack of flavor.

I think I'm gonna take a month long break in January. My abstinence month ohmy.gif

QUOTE (SimplexCoda @ Dec 31 2008, 02:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it sounds like too much heat on not quite enough tobacco. But it might also be your pallet, People here rave about AF. I dont get much flavor from it. But how much heat are you givin it and how are you packing and all.

On the Mya bowl I've been using 2 Golden Quicklights, and on the Phunnel I used 3 Coco naras. I started out trying to use as little heat as possible (like 1.5 quicklights or 2 coco naras), but I wasn't able to get a decent amount of smoke, so I added more. This makes me think it's not a matter of overheating, but you guys would know better than I do.

It could be a packing issue. I usually just sprinkle the shisha in until it reaches just below the brim. I'll try packing it down a little bit to add more shisha next time.