Called Al Fakher About Their Use Of Food Coloring

QUOTE (mattarios2 @ Dec 23 2008, 04:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Right? That's what I'm sayin, at least someone is sane and normal here.

I'll contact him, I'm sure he will see this thread anywhoo.

Thats pretty much why I havent posted in this thread.... I have noticed that AF Watermelon for me has gone down in quality each time I have gotten it. It hasnt gotten to the point where its unsmokable, but it is close..

I am curious to see what dyes they use after reading up on some of those links you posted

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Matt, I am excited to hear what they say.

JFTR...I have never been an AF Fan, I like their mint but everything else seems way to candyish. And it's the only dyed red tobacco that consistantly gives me headaches.

Still going to try their chocolate. I love chocolate flavors. Gonna pass on the new Guava.

Yeah I kinda feel bad...I didn't mean to make things all crazy!

I love this board because everyone is so nice...and so I apologize.

Sorry Mattarios! I actually think what you are doing is what we should all do...keep our favorite products in check, it can only be to all of our benefit! So I support your efforts and i'm sorry if I offended or made sad.

Viva la shisha!

QUOTE (AKammenzind @ Dec 24 2008, 12:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Man, this thread is so full of h8. Hehehe, interested to hear what AF has to say though.

You should see what happens when I mention Romman...it makes this look like childs play.

i think romman is pretty good, had a few of their flavors, they always smell funny but I like the taste of that brand more or less. I really am not that fussy, and this thread was never made to turn into a drama teen show, it is just what people made of it.

QUOTE (shalowlow @ Dec 24 2008, 03:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah I kinda feel bad...I didn't mean to make things all crazy!

I love this board because everyone is so nice...and so I apologize.

Sorry Mattarios! I actually think what you are doing is what we should all do...keep our favorite products in check, it can only be to all of our benefit! So I support your efforts and i'm sorry if I offended or made sad.

Viva la shisha!

It's cool man it's cool. In my eyes i'm just tryin to find out what the deal is with food coloring, and everyone else is assuming I am trying to hate on AF, that is what is going on, and basically, people need to stop assuming, YA HEAR ME?!?!

I only picked AF because A.) They use alot of damn food coloring, B.) Many people use it so it would pertain to alot more people than say people who smoke fusion or romman for instance and C.) I knew they would respond because they have responded to my comments and questions in the past when I had asked them things.

So no biggy just never thought I would have to explain every little thing for every reason why I called a certain brand to ask about something to do with their shisha.

And from previous posts about me saying bad things ... I only shat on their watermelon, mint, and grape because those were the ones I had issues with, sometimes hit or miss with grape, after it sat out a while it was much better, but the watermelon and mint that I got were hopeless.

lol, another apology, and another acceptance.

just figured i'd post this here rather than make another post, but has anyone noticed AF's ingredients says "Natural Flavor" while other brands even including nakhla just says "Flavor" does this mean af is real flavoring and not artificial flavoring or is this some type of ya know "oh natural doesn't necessarily mean natural"

anyone have info on this? possibly mr. tangiers or ...?

I must say this: I just love love love AF

Neither the coloring nor the fine cut bother me. What does bother me is a mushy cut sleep.gif

However, I never met the "golden days" of al fakher, as the first time I smoked AF was a 50g package of AF mint, already red dyed and fine cut. This was instantly my all time favorite flavor, and it remains that way till now. I mix almost everything with af mint tongue.gif

I do appreciate the objective of this thread however and I trullt think that you should keep tring to get that information, and the debate is also quite interesting.

PS: I am smoking af mint right now and it is just delicious wink.gif

QUOTE (mattarios2 @ Dec 24 2008, 08:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
just figured i'd post this here rather than make another post, but has anyone noticed AF's ingredients says "Natural Flavor" while other brands even including nakhla just says "Flavor" does this mean af is real flavoring and not artificial flavoring or is this some type of ya know "oh natural doesn't necessarily mean natural"

anyone have info on this? possibly mr. tangiers or ...?

Natural is not necessarily better for you then artificial flavoring

hokay... so i didnt feel like reading through 3 pages of what seems to be mostly hating... but i do want to chime in on a point from page 1.

for those of you who say that making smoke the 'least harmful' is useless because we should just stop smoking simply isnt true.

I only smoke hand rolled natural leaf cigars with no additves and i dont inhale. why you ask? because the last 5 studies done on cigars show that that type does not cause cancer. the cancer causing agent in most things we smoke is not the tobacco itself, but all of the horrid additves...

granted the cigars i smoke cost a little more because of this.... but its a small price to pay for my piece of mind.... plus its an excuse to buy better cigars smile.gif

so yea... i generally feel hookah to be within my safety range of things i smoke.... but if the dye they use is found to be dangerous... well then bye bye to one of the trinity for me (tang, af, nak)

QUOTE (SixPackSunday @ Dec 25 2008, 04:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hokay... so i didnt feel like reading through 3 pages of what seems to be mostly hating... but i do want to chime in on a point from page 1.

for those of you who say that making smoke the 'least harmful' is useless because we should just stop smoking simply isnt true.

I only smoke hand rolled natural leaf cigars with no additves and i dont inhale. why you ask? because the last 5 studies done on cigars show that that type does not cause cancer. the cancer causing agent in most things we smoke is not the tobacco itself, but all of the horrid additves...

granted the cigars i smoke cost a little more because of this.... but its a small price to pay for my piece of mind.... plus its an excuse to buy better cigars smile.gif

so yea... i generally feel hookah to be within my safety range of things i smoke.... but if the dye they use is found to be dangerous... well then bye bye to one of the trinity for me (tang, af, nak)

i agree that if it is dangerous then ya bye bye, but jumping to conclusions (irony im watching office space right now and remembered the jump to conclusions matte) is not something im about, but i also dont want to do the whole ignore it and say its fine like the gov did with agent orange (ya totally separate thing but using it as an example in the sense of ingoing an issue, not meant to start anything)

-matt

QUOTE (Stuie @ Dec 24 2008, 03:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (AKammenzind @ Dec 24 2008, 12:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Man, this thread is so full of h8. Hehehe, interested to hear what AF has to say though.

You should see what happens when I mention Romman...it makes this look like childs play.

Stuie, through all the shisha I've been trying lately, romman definitely isn't that bad, and some were pretty damn good. Just at the wrong price point I think.. All the samples I had were far better quality then AF, that's for sure. Shoot, even though I wasn't too fond of that Ivory Coast I sent you (I would've liked it to be more pineapple over the grapefruit), that was still one of the most flavorful shisha's I've ever put through my hookah.. Anyone looking for a sour grapefruit, they need to look no further than that..

Anyone looking for rancid fruit, go get some AF.. (hides from the rocks being thrown)

I just gotta say, I cant hate on AF too much. I've had some pretty good experiences with it despite the reputation it's gaining. I do think they need to ditch the food coloring. There's just no real reason for it. Tangiers sells like hotcakes and it isnt colored at all. The cut of AF makes me mad as well. I want a more rough cut so that it doesnt fall through the holes in an egyptian bowl. I dont mind packing it in a phunnel every once in a while, but it just uses too much shisha. I'd rather have it in an Egyptian. Maybe if you find some info out on the type of dye they use, you can get other shisha manufacturers to give up their info as well. I'd like to know that I'm leaving as small of a window as possible for cancer, even though the window is still gonna be there, as it is with everyone.

QUOTE (Bulldog_916 @ Dec 25 2008, 08:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just gotta say, I cant hate on AF too much. I've had some pretty good experiences with it despite the reputation it's gaining. I do think they need to ditch the food coloring. There's just no real reason for it. Tangiers sells like hotcakes and it isnt colored at all. The cut of AF makes me mad as well. I want a more rough cut so that it doesnt fall through the holes in an egyptian bowl. I dont mind packing it in a phunnel every once in a while, but it just uses too much shisha. I'd rather have it in an Egyptian. Maybe if you find some info out on the type of dye they use, you can get other shisha manufacturers to give up their info as well. I'd like to know that I'm leaving as small of a window as possible for cancer, even though the window is still gonna be there, as it is with everyone.

I agree 100%... and not to mention if they ditched all that color, it may be alot less messy in an Egyptian head

QUOTE (mustang_steve @ Dec 24 2008, 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To this date, I haven't met an AF flavor I didn't like. And I think the new finer cut is great since it makes packing a bowl evenly and consistently so much easier, without any noticable difference in smokeability.

try their pinapple hahahaha

I'm member #754. I say: Chillax.

Artificial and natural flavoring are subtypes of synthetic flavorings. Artificial and natural refer to the original source of the individual chemical components.

Artificial colors are pointless. I'm not looking at it when I'm smoking it. Of course, I'm sure you could guess my opinion before I said shit. They are separate and different factors when smoking (or smoking a hookah). Heart disease and lung cancer are likely to be caused by different things in cigarette smoke. If you could eliminate one risk factor...wouldn't you? I would. Artificial coloring is a big question mark with no benefit on the other side.

• 2 months later...