Cigar Talk

SixPackSunday

how about we start off with what your setup is? do you have a humi? or do you just pick em up from the lounge and smoke em fresh? what are your preferences?

heres my break down

small cohiba burl humi: fuente fuenta cubans. romeo/julieta #9's
medium glass top cohiba humi: gurhka grand reserves, fuente fuente curly heads, punch's, macanudo gold labels, misc.

large 200ct cohiba humi: this is where i keep the good stuff! cohiba siglio cubans, cohiba churchill cubans, h upmans, macanudo anniversaries, romeo julieta gold labes, opus x double coronas, cao associates, and maybe a couple i'm forgetting....

i'm about to put in a post christmas order for some long overdue opus x forbiddens, as well as a sampler of the new 'nub' cigars to try out.

as you can tell.. i'm a huge cohiba fan. i prefer mild for the most part, but dark has its place in my stash.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SixPackSunday @ Dec 15 2008, 04:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
how about we start off with what your setup is? do you have a humi? or do you just pick em up from the lounge and smoke em fresh? what are your preferences?

heres my break down

small cohiba burl humi: fuente fuenta cubans. romeo/julieta #9's
medium glass top cohiba humi: gurhka grand reserves, fuente fuente curly heads, punch's, macanudo gold labels, misc.

large 200ct cohiba humi: this is where i keep the good stuff! cohiba siglio cubans, cohiba churchill cubans, h upmans, macanudo anniversaries, romeo julieta gold labes, opus x double coronas, cao associates, and maybe a couple i'm forgetting....

i'm about to put in a post christmas order for some long overdue opus x forbiddens, as well as a sampler of the new 'nub' cigars to try out.

as you can tell.. i'm a huge cohiba fan. i prefer mild for the most part, but dark has its place in my stash.

I'm not entirely sure you are speaking English ... I enjoy a cigar fresh from the tobacco store ever now and then. I don't really know much ... okay strike that, I don't really know anything about cigar brands or "humis". I usually pick what looks good. If I am undecided, I can always lean on the cheap Black n' Milds, wine flavored. Yep I am cheap when it comes to my cigars. I think the most I have ever spent on one cigar is like 7 bucks. There is this one cigar that I particularly enjoy ... I'm not sure what brand, I recognize it by look. All I know is that it is "Acid" flavored ... yum! My friends and I call it the french whore (not sure I can say that word here) named after the distinct aroma it produces. Not to say that I have had any experience with what a french prostitute smells like or anything.

its cool dank... humi is short for humidor. or what you store cigars in to keep them at the proper humidity... also i'm guessing the cigar you like isnt 'acid flavored' but the 'acid brand' its a really popular brand for low end flavored cigars. they do have some really solid stuff though... their kuba kuba was the best selling cigar in america for a few yeras running

I see, I'll have to find out what it's called. It is a really nice flavor, and doesn't stink up the place like some other cigars - well if you don't mind the smell of discount perfume. I can't stand the smell of stale smoke, that's basically why I quit smoking cigs. I couldn't stand how bad they stunk me up.

Now is a humidor any specific climate controlled device or can it just be some old box?

its normally a cedar wood box thats controlled a humidity.... you can buy em from 20 bucks to 20grand.

are you talking about the more pricey ashton cabinets? if so i had one a year or so back at a wedding.... good smoke... but def better smokes for the price imo

I have a cabinet style cigar that I got for a steal

I have a few varieties of cigars I don't have a preference yet I buy randoms mostly any suggestions

I have a house blend from a local shop that is great and I have a box of Toranos 1969 exodus as well as a few randoms in my humidor I like to age my cigars for at least a month prior to smoking

Hey guys,
I've never really been a big cigar smoker, and I've been wanting to try them, more for the expirence than anything else. what are some good "entry level" cigars that I could try.

also, is a humidor necessary? I found some on ebay but was wondering if i needed one before i just up and bought one.

any and all help would be awesome, thanks

You can use a tupperware container for a humidor if you're cheap/lazy/just don't want to buy one. My best advice no matter what you put your cigars in is to use Heartfelt beads to control your humidity. You can find them here. I have no connections/affiliation whatsoever to this vendor. I have used them before, but only once to buy a bunch of these beads. I prefer the 65% to the 70%. They are the most simple/foolproof way to maintain humidity. Add a tube of beads to anything airtight and you have a humidor.

Anyhow, as far as entry level cigars... The Montecristo White is a nice mild smoke I remember liking (it's been awhile since I had my humidors stocked). I like all the Sancho Panza's, and they're not terribly expensive either. Hmmmm... Honestly I could name a lot of cigars I enjoyed but not a lot of details about them... I'll see if I can dig up my smoking notebook and I'll get more into it.

My setup is a 25ct for my living room and what I think is a 150ct that I have never really filled. When I was living in the US I smoked much more. Tobacco taxes are insane in Canada. I remember buying an Arturo Fuente Opus X XXX Belicoso for like $14 in Virginia. The same cigar here (if they have any stock) costs over $50 each, and I've got to drive over 2 hrs to get there.

I'd like to start getting a stash built up again. Right now my big humi is dry, and my little one has but one lonely Romeo y Julieta No2 sitting in it. Even though they cost a bunch, it's nice not to have an embargo to worry about... choices are always good.

Ok well... no editing. Sorry for double post. I found a few notes I took, but not my big notebook.

One that I enjoyed quite a bit and foun to be on the mild side of medium was the Shakespeare Vintage Maduro. I don't recall what size I had but it was very good. I wrote down that I smoke it down to the point where I couldn't hold it anymore.

Nothing else in there that would be safe for a new smoker (unless you want to get dizzy, turn green and fall down) but if you are interested in an ass-kicker La Flor Dominicana makes something called "The Chisel" which is a maduro and so good it's not even funny. It's got a flat cap, making it look strikingly similar to a chisel (no kidding)! It's delicious, but my notes said it made me a little dizzy, and at the time I was smoking 2+ cigars a day. now that I think about it if you are a hookah smoker you might already have a bit of nicotine tolerance built up...

Just got my first humidor in on Saturday, and I am seasoning it now.

My memorable smokes so far:
Arturo Fuente Chateau
Rocky Patel Connecticut
Hoyo De Monterey 1066 Dark Knight

For an entry-level cigar, go for the Chateau (has a nice, spicy note) or the RP Connecticut (mild all the way through, but an amazing smoke nonetheless). Some will recommend Macanudo for a good, mild cigar, but they tend to be on the more expensive side.

I am still pretty new to cigars, also, so if anyone has any recommendations I am all ears.

for the historians:

http://www.hookahforum.com/?showtopic=11708
http://www.hookahforum.com/?showtopic=15803
http://www.hookahforum.com/?showtopic=5500
http://www.hookahforum.com/?showtopic=8471

As for Acids. I dont care how well marketed or how popular they are. A sweetened wrapper cigar is right up there with rum crooks and swisher sweets.. If you are gonna call yourself a real cigar smoker, then smoke real cigars. smile.gif

The darl Knight is a damn fine smoke, as are the CAO double Maduros, 2mx or soemthing like that? Never had a bad smoke from CAO. La gloria Cubanas used to be awsome when they had the paper bundled ones from Miami. Now that those are gone don't bother, even with the R series. For another relitivly reasonably priced smoke, try soemthing from Camacho. Real cuban Cohibas. The black turd ones are the best. A nice opus X now and then to show off. For general smoking, El Rey Del Mundo are highly rated, relitivly unknown Cigars. Their Maduro Robusto is a great cigar. Kinda spicey and goes great with a single malt scotch or a stout.

Oh my humidor is an antique white glass lined job.

Ugh, I told the lady at my smoke shop one time that I was looking for a good mild cigar. Apparently that translated to, "Hey, I'm a little bitch and I want a cigar that tastes like candy! Don't worry about taking me seriously." She ended up selling me a flavored CAO cigar (Moontrance, I think it was). It smelled pretty good, but the wrapper was so sweet that I literally almost threw up, and this was before I even lit it. I got through about three puffs before I threw it out.

I smoke cigars pretty regularly but I don't know too much all the brands out there. My favorite cigar is a Graycliff Chateau Grand. I love those babies! THe end is unwrapped and the smoke you get from that portion is better than sex. No joke.

But when I don't feel like dropping 24+ dollars on a cigar, I go for padrons. Not sure of what series it is but I like to try different cigars from them every time I go to my cigar shop. Cohibas are always nice whenever I pick them up. I generally ask the people at my cigar shop to tell me their favorite of the week and pick it up. I've been going to that shop since I was 18 and they've gotten to know me. smile.gif They always make great recommendations.

As far as the Acid cigars go...no thanks. If I want my lips to feel like they're coated in sugar, I'll drink some sugar water. I have only tried the Kuba Kuba and I hated it. Clearly some people like them if they keep getting sold, though. More power to the people that enjoy those. smile.gif

nice to see everybody chiming in!

i agree that i NEVER buy acids for the simple reason i dont like flavored cigars. the closest i get is gurkhas grand reverses that are infused with king loius 14th cognac. well i guess they arent 'infused' or 'dipped' but some secret process... but a great smoke.

entry level cigars? you cant go wrong with anything from fuente or romeo/juliete imo and they have cigars for $3 or less. just make sure you stay away from dark cigars. their kinda like tang/nak only with a much worse bite. look for the golden brown and light colored cigars to start with.

mush i think you mean the mx2's? great smoke for a darker cigar. i buy the metal tin 5 pack of minis of those for short smokes often

Quick question:

I have my humidor seasoning (getting accustomed to humidity) at the moment, and it is fluctuating from 69-71% RH. I know that the sweet spot is 70%, so I don't think a 1% deviation can be all that bad. Should I wait a little longer before storing cigars in it, or is it good to go?

rock it out. your good to go man... if my humi only deviated 1% i would be in love... but without a more expensive setup... yoru goign to average up to 5% deviation

• 1 month later...
For a first time smoker I would pick up a sampler made up of Mild smokes to get yourself accustomed to cigars, headin for the best of the best isn't the way to go and the sampler I'll list below would be a great start for you with some great brands that will give you a wide range of milder smokes to try.

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/prodDis...IDD24&cat=6