Home-made Shisha

Cerritus

Got an herbalist friend who uses legal herbs to get different smoking effects. Would it matter if you substituted the tobacco for Damiana or Skullcap? Furthermore, how's smoking without the glycerine?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='HookaH Hodge' timestamp='1304824962' post='508672']
Got an herbalist friend who uses legal herbs to get different smoking effects. Would it matter if you substituted the tobacco for Damiana or Skullcap? Furthermore, how's smoking without the glycerine?
[/quote]

I just started messing around with making my own shisha. I used some mugwort and white sage without any flavoring and it was very nice. Wasn't harsh even though we got it black to a crisp. I also made some traditional shisha by washing some pipe tobacco and then soaking it in a bit of water with vanilla and cinnamon extract for a couple days then letting it air dry for another day, and adding the glycerin and molasses.

[quote name='Starwind' timestamp='1304972617' post='508835']
[quote name='HookaH Hodge' timestamp='1304824962' post='508672']
[/quote]

I just started messing around with making my own shisha. I used some mugwort and white sage without any flavoring and it was very nice. Wasn't harsh even though we got it black to a crisp. I also made some traditional shisha by washing some pipe tobacco and then soaking it in a bit of water with vanilla and cinnamon extract for a couple days then letting it air dry for another day, and adding the glycerin and molasses.
[/quote]

I know bout the process of making tobacco shisha. Was curious is substituting the tobacco for things like Mugwort and Sage? And how much of a difference is it in general if I don't use glycerine at all?

so ive been waiting for a shipment to come..and it doesnt seem like it will come. So i decided to make my own with this [img]http://www.sopariwala.com/images/isfahan-tobacco.jpg[/img]
and this is what it came out like. I did not have anything for flavoring so i just a bit extra honey to make it sweeter. Didn't exactly make it any sweeter but smokes good using tang small phunnel and 3 pieces of coal.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
[quote name='miguel_gomez' timestamp='1306621948' post='510955']
OK. Now you guys got me curious. How about cigarette rolling tobacco? I'm thinking of getting a big pack of Drum tobacco and using that for my base, mixed with black tea leaves.
[/quote]

ya its fine just wash it.

I saw a video on this and the guy said he boiled his tobacco. based on all this I don't think it would hurt, it might even be faster than soaking? (like get the watter up to a boil and dunk the leaves in there in like a colander for like a min. or so)

that boiling and cooking recipe sounds a little to involved for me. I was intrigued by the the tobacco leaf in wine, im so down for a try.

trying to put together a cook book if I do I'll post it.

ok so I got some glisrn.and a few thing to try for flavor and some American Spirit natural tobacco (the red bag.) I tut it in a bot and brought it to a boil then, cuz I didn't have any paper towels, I put it on a cooking sheet in the oven on low for a bit till it dried (in retrospect not as dry as it could/should have been) I mix 10 different flavor combos first one was a base/Honey with about a 3/4 match to the amount of tobacco and a matching amount of Glsrn. and it was pretty good ( good flavor (just basic) / good smoke) but didn't last long. none of the mixtures really did nearly as well. Most of them were either too dry or way too wet. I used Pomeranian preserves bit it made it way too dense/wet. But my base was good so that's a good jumping off point. I just need to figure out why it burs so fast, it went good for a wile but burned fast. one question what purpose washing or rinsing serve?

so iv been looking around online for different recipes and really no help form the all knowing internet but I did come across an interesting concept, herbal shisha. apparently its a whole thing, I'v never had any but some site said you can take your [i]successful [/i]shisha recipes and swap out the tobacco for tea leas (and/or gound sugarcane? like i said not very helpful.)
so I guess the point of the post is A) has any one here smoked herbal shisha and B ) has any one tried to make it or would like to take a stab at it and review it?

Yes, I have had herbal shisha, and yes, I have made herbal shisha. If you are smoking for flavour and not buzz, herbal can be great. You obviously are not going to get a buzz at all (except maybe from oxygen deprivation if they smoke enough of it), but the flavour can be quite good. The store bought herbal uses sugarcane (There are 2 exceptions to my knowledge, one is tea-based and the other is shiazo steam stones). Personally for making my own, I used tea.

For more of the info on the stuff I made, check this thread [url="http://www.hookahforum.com/topic/42415-chamomiletobacco-shisha-whoa/"]http://www.hookahforum.com/topic/42415-chamomiletobacco-shisha-whoa/[/url]

The stuff I made turned out pretty well. I have been meaning to try making different types, I just need the time to do so, and I need some hard candy flavouring to try out, but different teas/flavours I have lined up are: Berry, Tangerine/orange, and Mint/Peppermint. The one I tried before was honey-vanilla/pineapple/coconut,l which turned out great.

Very cool thread. I had wondered about pipe tobacco (BF is thinking of switching to pipe from cigs) and so what basically would be needed would be some "gooey sweet" (molasses, honey, agave nectar, etc) to make it work. I am looking forward to hearing how the different teas/candy extracts would work.

Glycerine can be found in a lot of gourmet shops too. It's used to make those fruit pastries really glisten. You can also find it in some home brew places, it gives wine a richer mouthfeel. Some healthfood/herbalist shops also carry it.

This sounds like a fun project. I have a lot of food safe essential oils (from my aromatherapy days) that would probably work (if you are using essential oils, a DROP or two will be fine. it's extremely concentrated. don't store in plastic, some can eat right through it). I was also thinking a mulling spice blend might be fun mixed with a vanilla blend for the fall.

[quote name='angekfire' timestamp='1314674883' post='521856']
Yes, I have had herbal shisha, and yes, I have made herbal shisha. If you are smoking for flavour and not buzz, herbal can be great. You obviously are not going to get a buzz at all (except maybe from oxygen deprivation if they smoke enough of it), but the flavour can be quite good. The store bought herbal uses sugarcane (There are 2 exceptions to my knowledge, one is tea-based and the other is shiazo steam stones). Personally for making my own, I used tea.

For more of the info on the stuff I made, check this thread [url="http://www.hookahforum.com/topic/42415-chamomiletobacco-shisha-whoa/"]http://www.hookahfor...co-shisha-whoa/[/url]

The stuff I made turned out pretty well. I have been meaning to try making different types, I just need the time to do so, and I need some hard candy flavouring to try out, but different teas/flavours I have lined up are: Berry, Tangerine/orange, and Mint/Peppermint. The one I tried before was honey-vanilla/pineapple/coconut,l which turned out great.
[/quote]
that recipe seems simple enough for a humble man like me, ill defiantly give it a try. especially since my GF works at a coffee shop and can get tea for freeeeeee :D
will let you know how it gos. I'll try to take measurements but no promises (I am a man and an American. doing things precise doesn't come natural to me)

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Wow! Thanks for the tip! I wont add the glycerin even if the smoke isnt as thick whatever...

My plan is that the "spices" will be this smoking herb ive been mixing... The smoking herb itself gives a very mellow nice buzz.. and tastes good.. i also plan on other tasty spices as well :P

Can anyone tell me if its cheaper this way? If it is id sooo be only doing this from now on

Wow! Thanks for the tip! I wont add the glycerin even if the smoke isnt as thick whatever...

Im gunna use my awesome smoking herb as the base instead of tobacco however...

Can anyone tell me if its cheaper this way? If it is id sooo be only doing this from now on

• 2 weeks later...
I've been experimenting with making my own shisha lately (I'm new-ish to the hookah, been smoking for a few months, but I like to make my own things when I can). So far my recipe has been 3 tablespoons tobacco, 2 tablespoons of flavoring (I'm using extracts), 2 1/2 tablespoons glycerin, 2 1/2 tablespoons honey. I've gotten great results so far, I've found that letting it sit for at least an hour before smoking it helps, if not overnight to let it soak.

I always use an organic tobacco with no additives and wash it to (boil in a pot of water for about 5 minutes, drain and rinse until the water coming through is pretty much clear). After its dry I'll add in the other ingredients. From this basic formula though I've always had to add more based off of the first smoke, sometimes its a bit rough and needs a bit more honey, sometimes the clouds aren't that thick, more glycerin, etc.

Only two flavors I've done so far have been orange and lemon, and comparing them to fantasia's line of products (its the only thing readily available in stores here, plus I like it for a few of its bold flavors) it has been even better than them. smokes a lot smoother from the washed tobacco, and tastes a lot better.

• 6 months later...
Hello everyone, I am a first time hookah owner and am pretty confident that 200 grams of shisha could last me an entire month as I don't plan on smoking my hookah everyday, but more of an indulgence type of thing. I have a really stupid question. I understand the concept of the base ingredients and mixing the tobacco, honey (or molassis) and glycerin and plan on using fruit extracts versus fruit or jams. But I was wondering, would soaking the tobacco in fruit or mixed fruit juices (much like washing the tobacco) add to the flavor?
The place where I get my pipe tobacco for rolling my own cigarettes is of decent enough quality and doesn't have a harsh flavor to it. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

[quote name='mkuehling' timestamp='1345952186' post='555101']
Hello everyone, I am a first time hookah owner and am pretty confident that 200 grams of shisha could last me an entire month as I don't plan on smoking my hookah everyday, but more of an indulgence type of thing. I have a really stupid question. I understand the concept of the base ingredients and mixing the tobacco, honey (or molassis) and glycerin and plan on using fruit extracts versus fruit or jams. But I was wondering, would soaking the tobacco in fruit or mixed fruit juices (much like washing the tobacco) add to the flavor?
The place where I get my pipe tobacco for rolling my own cigarettes is of decent enough quality and doesn't have a harsh flavor to it. Thank you for taking the time to read this.
[/quote]

dont know if spam......either way, in theory yes it could work. the soaking or "washing" of the tobacco would impart a flavor onto it if you did soak it in something other than water, but fyi it could bring down the nicotine levels as it would seep out to create a balance. dont know if thats an issue for you but just putting my two cents in.

Emir- Bringing down the nicotine levels isn't really an issue with me, as I smoke plenty of cigarettes for that purpose, I was mostly curious if it were possible as I don't know if I can get my hands on fruit extracts, so fruit juices would be my next best option. Otherwise Vanilla would be my only option. Thank you for your reply Emir.

no problem but also, you would have to be careful with juices. pick ones that dont have any additives if you have to go down that road, because smoking the preservatives that some companys use doesnt seem like a wise idea

I just now realized your name is headhunter, and emir must be like a little title or something. I'm so used to names being where that thing is and not where they are in this forum. My bad. Yeah I know of a few good fruit juices dont use preservatives at walmart. Means I have to pay more for them because they are listed as "organic" bah! But I don't think I have to go the juice route, as I'm not 100 percent sure but pretty sure I can get mcCormick fruit extracts at walmart, and if not there then maybe my local grocery store.