Cerritus

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (samx @ Feb 6 2009, 12:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have A question It May seem Stupid to some
But Can U Also Use Cigarette Tobacco
Like Cutting the Cigarette open And using that tobacco cause a friend of mine quit smoking and he gave me like 7 cig packs??

You'd probably get more of a nicotine buzz and there would be more chemicals, closer to smoking cigarettes as opposed to a pipe.

Cig tobacco will taste terrible, but it can me smoked this way.

Also, I tried fruit preserves for the first time and it works in a fun way. For the first about 20 min. it'll taste like the fruit, they the sugar in it will caramelize and you get an amazing flavor of smores.

Ok, after a bit more experimentation here's a more detailed guide for a few flavors.

They all start the same: Take your dry tobacco (I use a good quality pipe tobacco, but anything will probably work) and wrap it in a paper towel. Fill your sink a few inches with hot water, enough to go over the wrapped up tobacco, and let the tobacco sit in it until the water looks like a weak tea. Drain the sink and run the wrapped tobacco under cold water for a bit. Then let it sit while you mix the flavoring.

Flavoring:

For Smores: 1 part glycerin, 2 parts honey, one part fruit preserves (I used blackberry, I think any will work, we're going for the sugar in the fruits here), and a little bit of ground cinnamon.

For Blackberry: 1 part glycerin, 1 part honey, 2 parts blackberry preserves, and about half a part blackberry juice.

For Cinnamon: 1 part glycerin, half a part ground cinnamon, 2 parts honey.

For Clove: 1 part glycerin, half a part ground clove, 2 parts honey.

For Honey Barbecue: 1 part glycerin, 1 part honey, 2 parts barbecue sauce.

Putting it all together: Take the tobacco we made to start with and add the flavoring until you get the wetness you're used to with whatever shisha you normally smoke. Let it sit for a while to soak in the flavor and add more flavoring if it gets drier.

Pack it like any other shisha, but it normally takes a bit more heat to smoke well.

• 2 weeks later...
I've tried it with rolling cigarette tobacco. Unwashed (I like the buzz, thought it was a good idea). Well, for a bit it was nice, though it didn't have almost any flavor at all (it was supposed to be apple). It was strong - like really strong. Like in I couldn't feel my fingertips after 5 minutes. After some 10 minutes it started to get harsh, and it was downhill from there. Not a nice experience overall.

And it doesn't become harsh after a while? And what about the buzz? I mean, I smoke practically only Nakhla, and that's supposed to be one of the shishas that give a bigger buzz, but that thing was just massive :x

• 1 month later...
this may be old may be a repost but i didn't see it. most of the shisha you're getting in the states is made with flavorings, however using whole fruits is very easy and very tasty, i learned a bit while deployed, whatever tobacco u can get works, wash it, it does help, then dry it a little, ad you're honey or molasses which ever they both work. now take you're fruit equal or more than u have tobacco, oranges and such include the skin much of the base oils are in the skin of the fruit mix all this stuff together,i.e. a bunch of fruit tobacco and ur sweetener simmer this concoction then cook it then simmer some more than bake some more when it smells like the fruit and is thick like semi hardened concrete ur pretty good, now let it cool add glycerin until it is wet like your store brand shisha, or u can go real old school as i've seen in a few of these countries and soak a whole tobacco leaf in wine and smoke it still wet, this is also good, i cant really give measurements as i've never measured play and experiment you know the basics

QUOTE (K1024 @ Apr 5 2009, 01:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you can buy eskandarani apple or bahranini apple.

I wish I could reach through the screen and slap you for suggesting someone buy shisha, in a thread about making shisha that's in the friggin DIY section. And Bahraini apple is a very anise-heavy flavor, opposite end of the spectrum from eskandari.

QUOTE (AKammenzind @ Apr 6 2009, 09:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (K1024 @ Apr 5 2009, 01:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you can buy eskandarani apple or bahranini apple.

I wish I could reach through the screen and slap you for suggesting someone buy shisha, in a thread about making shisha that's in the friggin DIY section. And Bahraini apple is a very anise-heavy flavor, opposite end of the spectrum from eskandari.

oh didnt know about the baraini...oops...

also he said that he wanted an apple without anise, and i gave him a suggestion...making your own shisha is frustrating, and i hate that most apple flavors are mostly anise, so when someone says they hate anise but want an apple flavor im going to point that out...

QUOTE (K1024 @ Apr 8 2009, 12:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (AKammenzind @ Apr 7 2009, 06:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The banhammer is coming.

i dont understand!!! but im going to assume a post was deleted..

Yup, some pre-teen lookin shite made a post about NHT. Haha, does noone read the rules? Edited by AKammenzind

I just posted this on the other home-made shisha thread, but ill post it here too..

I tried creating shisha tonight following the apple recipe, i used bugle turkish rolling tobacco, which had a nice mild flavor to it, and smoked ok when rolled by itself.

the apple was chopped, put into a food processor, and then dried on the stovetop. This was then mixed with the tobacco, which had a somewhat damp consistency, at least it all stuck together when pressed. To this I added a small amount of glycerine and mild molasses. The mix looked legit, but when we smoked it, there was no smoke.

Tried removing the apple, so it was just tobacco with a little molasses and glycerine, this produced no smoke at all

Then went back to the original recipe, with the apples, and tried using even less molasses and glycerine, this time we got no smoke at all.

How is it that we can't get any smoke? What are we doing wrong.

QUOTE (dilatedmind @ Apr 8 2009, 10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just posted this on the other home-made shisha thread, but ill post it here too..

I tried creating shisha tonight following the apple recipe, i used bugle turkish rolling tobacco, which had a nice mild flavor to it, and smoked ok when rolled by itself.

the apple was chopped, put into a food processor, and then dried on the stovetop. This was then mixed with the tobacco, which had a somewhat damp consistency, at least it all stuck together when pressed. To this I added a small amount of glycerine and mild molasses. The mix looked legit, but when we smoked it, there was no smoke.

Tried removing the apple, so it was just tobacco with a little molasses and glycerine, this produced no smoke at all

Then went back to the original recipe, with the apples, and tried using even less molasses and glycerine, this time we got no smoke at all.

How is it that we can't get any smoke? What are we doing wrong.

often with homeade recipes you end up with to much molasses/glycerine. try either drying it in the stove or using a bit more heat...

• 4 weeks later...
ok tried the ammounts of honey in proportion to ammount of tobacco n used a dab of glyc. worked rather well i noticed using diffrent honeys did wonders and if your feeling like a need for a substitute try agave nectar. my next time im going to add cinnamon oil vs ground. but the stuff im using is black cavendish, clove honey, clove, cinnamon, fresh orange zest

• 3 weeks later...
been playing for a bit but just can't get it to smoke well. I got some uncut dried tobacco from a shop. soaked in warm water for a few minutes. drained, squeezed, and patted with a towel. threw it in the microwave for a bit and then the oven to dry more. added a bit of molasses, ample amounts of glycerine, and even more honey. looks like any shisha you'd buy, but just doesn't produce smoke and is pretty harsh from the get go, and then becomes too harsh to smoke. I got agave to try next, but figure it won't help much if I can't get honey to work. What should I be adding more of? I tried an individual bowl with a ton of glycerine mixed in even. More honey?