What Am I Doing Wrong With Tangiers

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many hours did you acclimate for?

You aren't packing it tightly enough... to begin, you should put just a little bit into your bowl, and pack super-dee-duper tightly on the bottoms and the sides. Just a wee bit, mind you, like a milimeter of it. Then pack the rest in basically the way you did it, just slightly tighter. Your foil wrapping is fine.

You also need to poke less, but bigger holes, and make sure you push your piercing implement right down to the bottom, penetrating the thin, dense layer you packed.

You're using the right amount of coals, but you should move them around fairly frequently to keep as much shisha activated at once as possible, to maximize your smoke density and flavour. Using a wind cover frequently is also a good idea.

All things considered you don't seem to be having too much difficulty - is it just this flavour you're having problems with, or all Tangiers in general?

If all else fails, you could always switch to Lucid which is much less finicky to get smoking perfectly. Cheers.

yo man. shisha is like cooking, you have to feel it. you have to get dirty.

loose hte fork and show the shisha some humanly love. embrace it, understand it, and it will love you back.

when you poke holes,make sure you are not sticking hte toothpick so hard into the bowl, this packs down the shisha more. Edited by cb1021

HA! I was so concerned when you stopped packing with your hands. I was like "you CAN NOT be packing only that much into the bowl, omg noobie boobie." Then you started packing more and I was like "WHEW!" at least I was wrong. I couldnt help but laugh at the light-headed part. Looked like you were in the clouds.

I'll make you a vid and throw it up.

Glad it worked for ya.

QUOTE (Bulldog_916 @ Nov 9 2008, 02:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
HA! I was so concerned when you stopped packing with your hands. I was like "you CAN NOT be packing only that much into the bowl, omg noobie boobie." Then you started packing more and I was like "WHEW!" at least I was wrong. I couldnt help but laugh at the light-headed part. Looked like you were in the clouds.

I'll make you a vid and throw it up.

Glad it worked for ya.

Yea that bowl floored me. After I stopped recording I went and laid on the couch for over an hour. Then I lit the bowl up again and it was smoking really good for like 35-40 minutes and then the smoke started to get harsher.

QUOTE (indian_villager @ Nov 9 2008, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bulldog were you packing by candle light? I could barely see. But thanks for the vid!

Nah, the kitchen was well-lit. My brother's camcorder doesnt pick up light very well. I keep telling him to buy another one, but he doesnt have the cash. Oh well.

Dude you packed that stuff in there hard core, I've never seen anyone pack it down as hard (2nd vid) but glad you got it working!

Question for Bulldog though. Why the hole in the center? I've seen some people do this before and I think I've even done it when I used a fork to poke holes with tangiers. But IMO you get less smoke and more chances of having "smoke flavor" come down the shaft.

I tried putting the hole in the centre once or twice for experimental purposes, and you get noticeably worse smoke in both thickness and flavour (mostly the former).

What it does, is open up an airway that bypasses the shisha entirely and dilutes your thick, yummy Tangiers smoke with regular air.

And kudos to everyone stepping up with videos!

QUOTE (liquidglass @ Nov 9 2008, 08:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dude you packed that stuff in there hard core, I've never seen anyone pack it down as hard (2nd vid) but glad you got it working!

Question for Bulldog though. Why the hole in the center? I've seen some people do this before and I think I've even done it when I used a fork to poke holes with tangiers. But IMO you get less smoke and more chances of having "smoke flavor" come down the shaft.

I put a hole in the center, I get thick, flavorful wonderful smoke. How you dont put a hole in the center and dont suck the foil down into the hole is mysterious to me. I dunno, to each his own. My method worked for Voski and works for me. If it doesnt work for you, then it doesnt work for you I suppose.

QUOTE (Bulldog_916 @ Nov 10 2008, 03:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (liquidglass @ Nov 9 2008, 08:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I put a hole in the center, I get thick, flavorful wonderful smoke. How you dont put a hole in the center and dont suck the foil down into the hole is mysterious to me. I dunno, to each his own. My method worked for Voski and works for me. If it doesnt work for you, then it doesnt work for you I suppose.

Fair enough I agree to each his own, but I'm always up for learning. When I pack tangiers I use Snoopy's method then I press down with my palm then I actually outline the middle hole with my thumb. Then I use a skewer or a toothpick and poke everywhere but the center, never had it pull down on me at all.

IMO unless the hole is higher than the sides of the puhnnel you should be fine and it looks from the vid like you pulled the foil tight enough so it wouldn't sag. But hey as long as you're getting awesome tangiers clouds and tasty flavor then that's I care about.