Smoking In A Non-smoking Apartment...

So I've been doing an apartment hunt as of late, seeing as I move in January. Really, I can't seem to find many smoker-friendly apartments, nor do I think I want one as I assume (perhaps incorrectly), that the place will just smell like sh#$%y cigarette smoke.

My question is, to those of you that smoke your hookahs indoors pretty consistently, how long does the smell stay around your living space? I have absolutely no objection to my room smelling of raspberries (hell, even the place I STORE my shisha smells great every time I walk by), but I don't want anyone else to enjoy the fruitiness when I'm gone. biggrin.gif.

I don't want to get jacked and lose a deposit over hookah for sure. If/when I do move, I'll probably stick to smoking outside in the freezing cold just because I'm paranoid about getting in trouble or something stupid like that (or, you know, burning the crap out of my carpet). smile.gif. But I was curious to see if anyone had any stories or advice on this one. Thanks! Edited by natgnat

I would say it will be cleared out within 6-8 hours depending on the ventilation and air circulation in a room. I smoke all the time over at a friends house whenever her parents are out of town and her parents normally dont let us smoke inside. We can smoke 4-5 phunnels the day before they arrive home and it's cleared out by the next morning before her rents get home.

You should be more worried about coal damage and less of the smell. The smell goes away pretty quickly if there is air flow in the apartment... but coals dropping on laminate or carpet is a different story!!

I actually got back into hookah because my apartment is non smoking. I was pretty into cigars an pipe tobacco but those smells never go away an seem to go through walls.I've never heard any heat from neighbors an I'm just ridiculously careful with coals. You should be fine. Landlords usually give 24 hour notice before entering anyways, so the smell will be long gone by then.

QUOTE (MrMoodz @ Nov 5 2008, 09:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You should be more worried about coal damage and less of the smell. The smell goes away pretty quickly if there is air flow in the apartment... but coals dropping on laminate or carpet is a different story!!

Ain't that the truth, coals will do way way way more damage then the smell ever will in an apartment. Although in my apartment in college we never smoked anywhere but the bathroom due to a roommate that hated the smoke and my bathroom was the only one with a window where we could sneak away and smoke without them knowing.

Thanks for the replies! Yeah, the coals would be a whole other story... haven't dropped any to-date (knock on wood), but will probably have to swtich off of quicklights. Not that that's a bad thing at all. I've actually never used natural coals... hmm.

Besides, I don't smoke daily, so hopefully that will help me gauge how the smell comes and goes.

If you're smoking with the window cracked open, the smell should be gone within an hour or two. My last apartment was non-smoking, when the landlord came by he only commented on how nice it smelt smile.gif The place I live in now is strictly non-smoking, but I still smoke inside almost every day... Remember the landlord can't come in without your permission unless he gives you a 24hr notice. Other than that don't piss off your neighbours (so they don't rat) and you should be a-ok.

QUOTE (fineout @ Nov 5 2008, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ive smoked in my dorm room before and just leave my window open with a fan pointing outwards, you could never tell.

ahh the good old dorm room days. ive done that too. didnt use a fan but we sealed the smoke detector with a trash bag, we did get caught though. dumb RA walked by and saw the whole thing. got some community service and had to watch a video of a concert burning down.

didnt learn anything.

I smoke in my apartment at least once a day and you can't even tell. The only thing that happens is that the apartment smells like hookah-smoke for about an hour and then the smell goes away completely.

Hell, even with my afternoon sessions that usually have the windows closed, the smoke only lasts for 2 hours at the most.

As far as the carpet goes, yeah...don't drop them and don't let hookah-noobs grab the coals. I move those damn coals all the time, my roommate grabs them once and it explodes and sends shards everywhere--fun to clean up.