Hookahs Affect On Singing Voice + Body

So I was wondering what affect, if any, hookah has on one's vocal chords, both during a smoke, but more interested in after, and how it has lasting affects if any. Also on things such as muscle tone.
Anyone? I have seen some changes but I want to make sure they are not placebos or anytihng...

QUOTE (neffertiti @ Nov 4 2008, 01:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know that both long and short term cigarette smoking are terrible on your voice and throat, and I'd assume that hookah smoke would do similar things, but take much, much longer to effect you because of the water-filtration.

water wiltration my arse..you really think its in the water long enough to make a real difference?

Its going to adversely effect your lungs and vocal chords. Period. huh.gif

my friend does vocals for a local metal/hardcore band which means he does very low vocals and he says that since hes been smokeing hookah it has expanded his lung capacity and he hold his vocals longer than he ever could....but thats him to me honestly idk...all i have noticed is my lung capacity has expanded

QUOTE (Nikon1323 @ Nov 4 2008, 08:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
my friend does vocals for a local metal/hardcore band which means he does very low vocals and he says that since hes been smokeing hookah it has expanded his lung capacity and he hold his vocals longer than he ever could....but thats him to me honestly idk...all i have noticed is my lung capacity has expanded

personally I don't think that the hookah has much of an effect on lung capacity. what might have happened it is you and your friend taking giants hits which would stretch out your lungs.

QUOTE (blastoffbrett @ Nov 4 2008, 07:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

personally I don't think that the hookah has much of an effect on lung capacity. what might have happened it is you and your friend taking giants hits which would stretch out your lungs.

Wouldn't a stretched-out lung mean that it has a higher, I don't know, lung capacity? tongue.gif

QUOTE (Hojo @ Nov 4 2008, 08:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (blastoffbrett @ Nov 4 2008, 07:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wouldn't a stretched-out lung mean that it has a higher, I don't know, lung capacity? tongue.gif

yes, maybe i read your post wrong but i took it as you saying the hookah smoke made your lung capacity larger not necessarily taking monster hits.

Hrm, wouldn't know from experience... I sound like a mix between a drunken bum and a car wreck when I sing, smoke or no. However, it seems to depend on the person... some singers smoke, others get all stuffed up and whiney if they're around candles or incense. It's my firm belief that the latter should just suck it up and grow a pair, but who knows... maybe their lungs honestly can't take it?

lol thanks hojo....but yea like i said its only him...i dont sing so i have no idea...all i have seen is when i smoked hookah alot i would get far more bigger hits then friends thats about all i can say bout my own experience

If you want a comparison between singing while smoking and singing while non-smoking, listen to early Godsmack, like the first 2 albums. Listen to Sully Erna's voice between their self-titled 1st album and their newer album "IV" and see if you can pick out a difference. Sully had stopped smoking and he said that it improved his vocals and ability to get more range in his singing. Edited by Bulldog_916

From experience, I don't smoke up to a day before I sing, I'm in a band and my guys can notice when I've been smoking so things go back to normal after r a day, not to say that I don't smoke how tho smile.gif lol

I do a little singing, no real adverse affects yet.

To some smoking is bad for their vocal chords. People are different but it was no biggy for Layne Staley. He could SING his ASS off while still smoking.

Hey, if you want a rasper voice, go for it. I'd switch to cigs though.

-QM Edited by QuiltedMaple