Bad Side Effects From Hookah

Okay, so I went to a hookah bar last night and about 15 minutes in, the smoke from all four hookahs on the table was harsh (even though the water was ice cold) and I started to feel really lightheaded. That was fine because I know how to get rid of it when it happens from hookah (go outside, sit down, close your eyes and count to 15), but this time it was definitely different. I started getting really sweaty (to the point where my t-shirt was getting wet) and I felt like I was running a fever for a little while. My eyes hurt too, so I took a long break (45 minutes) and the sweatiness and all went away except for the harshness of the smoke after about two hits so I just sat back and decide to kick it until everyone was ready to leave the hookah bar. Then, this morning, I woke up to a bit of a nose-bleed which I first thought was from bringing the hookah smoke out from my nose but I know it can't be because I've done that before with nothing like this happening. What gives? Has this happened to anyone else before?

I know about carbon monoxide poisoning and how it can happen from smoking hookah, but I doubt all the effects were caused by carbon monoxide poisoning.

I've had this happen before, minus the bloody nose. The bloody nose could be from dry air + the smoke aggravating it...

As for the rest...
Did you eat, did you stay well hydrated? These are #1 causes to you're problem...hookah on an empty stomach and not enough fluids...always gets me.

Also, if the smoke was harsh, they had put too much heat on it. It would have been burning the shisha and giving you an overload of nicotine.

hope you find this helpful

I had this the first time I smoked.
It was at a hookah bar too, shisha got burned and no one knew how to manage the heat... I thankfuly gave the Hookah another try :]

ya.when its harsh KICK THEM COALS OFF. hookah bars (not all) try to burn your bowls out fast so you will buy a refill. sick and fever could be from poor ventilation. is your hookah bar small or large, indoors outdoors? bloody nose i have no idea never had that. that sickness could also come from unclean hookahs with poorly packed bowls of stuff that philip morris wouldnt even call tobacco.

find out what brand shisha they were using. If its unwashed like nakhla or tangiers then that could explain why you got so light headed and such. I've gotten so light headed from nakhla that i didn't move for 3 hours (hotboxed my bathroom and smoked four bowl of nakhla mandarin with a few friends)

QUOTE (QuiltedMaple @ Nov 1 2008, 05:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sounds like too much CO and a dirty atmosphere.

-QM

I agree. I had this happen to me twice at a hookah bar that used to be in Seattle called Diwan where I passed out after smoking. Now, I usually didn't drink anything and dinner was a few hours before I went and smoked but the air was always very heavy and the front door (usually open) was a ways away. This never happened to be at Ziana the other hookah bar which was more open and/or had big windows open all the time and in the case of this happening to me I dont think it was the shisha because they used AF / Havana which I was using at home at the time and I was always fine at home to.
Edited by crashrebootrepeat

Wow, thanks for all the replies guys.

I'll take this from the first post to the most recent at the time I hit the reply button.

r1v3t, from what I remember I was full and I bought two bottles of water the way I normally do when I go there. Dry air might be a problem because it was a bit cold last night.

Rayneuki and inino: I'll be sure to keep an eye on the coals and the shisha.

QuiltedMaple and crash: When I get lightheaded I know already that it's CO which is why I go outside for some fresh air. Getting all the other side effects really scared the living hell out of me, but I'm going back next weekend. biggrin.gif

drabin: I'll definitely find out next weekend. I'll request a larger hookah too to get less CO.

voski: GLUE?! haha

Don't know which coals they use, but if they're QLs that might be the cause of the problems. Some hookah bars employ staff who don't know too much about hookah, so they light a QL *on the bowl*. The chemical stuff gets into the shisha, plus the baccy is overheated which would explain most of your symptoms. I don't go to hookah bars much but last time I was there I asked them to let me do the coal lighting by myself (I think all hookah bars in Montreal use QLs)

erufiku: That's the one thing I did ask and their response was "charcoal". I was tempted to say "Well, no sh*t sherlock." They have some sort of grill in the back that's on a screened in patio area where they heat up the coal. Next time I'll ask the guys working out there because they'll probably know more.

probably some issue with the coals or burning shisha i think

as to the nose bleed that weird but it is getting cooler and drier out so that could be it, if it doesnt go away and/or you keep getting those issues of light headedness really easily talk to your doc though

-matt

glue or some type of plastic that doesn't belong is possible. I had this is one of my hookahs and when I smoked it my heart was racing and I wouldn't stop sweating.

I did not read the part where you said it was a hookah bar. They might be using lighter fluid to light their coals. If that's the case it will fuck you up big time. I would advise you to investigate and if you find out they are using lighter fluid don't go back there anymore.

Any prolonged use of QL = Migraine. It's Carbon Monoxide poisoning, or something along those lines. Carbon Monoxide poisoning involves being light-headed, having a headache, cold sweats, shortness of breath, dizziness at middle stages. QL coals have a binding chemical I believe, but i think the worst is the Ignition powder.

QUOTE (Hippo_Master @ Nov 2 2008, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Any prolonged use of QL = Migraine. It's Carbon Monoxide poisoning, or something along those lines. Carbon Monoxide poisoning involves being light-headed, having a headache, cold sweats, shortness of breath, dizziness at middle stages. QL coals have a binding chemical I believe, but i think the worst is the Ignition powder.

ive smoked for 2-4 hours many times on ql's before i got my rig and never got a headache

i still think ql's are bad just dont hit my to hard in any negative way

-matt

QUOTE (voski @ Nov 2 2008, 08:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
glue or some type of plastic that doesn't belong is possible. I had this is one of my hookahs and when I smoked it my heart was racing and I wouldn't stop sweating.

I did not read the part where you said it was a hookah bar. They might be using lighter fluid to light their coals. If that's the case it will fuck you up big time. I would advise you to investigate and if you find out they are using lighter fluid don't go back there anymore.

Def check for the lighter fluid. buddy did it once and got really sick off the first three pulls to the point where we had to take him home. he complained about being dizzy, felt the urge to vomit, was sweating bullets, and got the shivers. Also it was tangiers in the bowl (so i dont really think the tobacco had anything to do with it).

If tangiers was in the bowl and he is really used to smoking washed brands like AF than it could be nicotine over dose. I think that your symptoms was probably the bad ventilation and a combination of Co poisoning and Nicotine overdose. As far as the lighter fluid comment that stuff really has no effect if they are using lighter fluid to light natural coals because I have done that many many times and the lighter fluid is gone by the time the naturals are fully lit. IF they are using lighter fluid to light quick lights than they are not smart at all and stay away for sure.

they had too much heat on the hookah, the tobacco was burning and not good, as far as the effects go. co2 poisoning plus other things. and the nose bleed, you should invest in a humidifier. cause there is no way hookah is involved in that.

I had the same thing happen to me, I live in colorado and we have really low humidity almost year round, I didnt eat, nothing to drink. Sitting on my computer, smoking a bowl of AF peach not thinking about how hard and constantly I was hitting it, about 20 mins of that and I thought I was about to die, got soaking wet with sweat, got up stumbled around from how bad of a buzz I got, thought I was starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Got up stairs jumped in a really cold shower to bring my body temp down and I got a bloody nose (weither this was related to the hookah or not I dont know). 10 mins later I was fine. No food+no liquid+to much smoke in a short period+really dry air=recipe for disaster