Shiny Side Up Or Down

so me an ryno were talkin with our roommates...didnt know if it made a difference if when you put the foil screen on do you have the shiny side up or down? does it make a difference either way cause we havent noticed...but we also dont pay attention to what side is up when we pack a bowl anyway...just thought id ask

-arp

me I really dont pay attention at this point since I cant tell the difference sometimes lol. I sometimes pay attention to which side is the shiny side but it doesnt seem to matter since I double foil and that seems to make a better difference on keeping the heat in the bowl. I think its just personal preference.

Shiny side down, especially if you're smoking during the day.

What if the sun reflected off the foil and a passing by falcon decided it was mealtime? Actually, if for once the reason my hookah supplies were in need of replacing was because of something as epic as a bird of prey thief...I'd be pretty happy.

Anyway, shiny side down, for tradition if nothing else. (:

arpo! you and ryno of all people!

the answer is shiny side USE THE FLIPPING SEARCH FUNCTION!

actually one side is shiny simply because that is the side that goes across the rollers during manufacturing, its not shiny for any reason such as heat trapping or anything, it wont make a difference.

never noticed a difference. I probably do shiny side down a lot, but i don't really think about it. I manage my heat with coals and windcovers.

• 2 weeks later...
ok just got the definitive answer from my Manufacturing Processes book.
"Aluminum Foil for example, is pack rolled in two layers, so only the top and bottom outer layers have been in contact with the rolls. Note that, one side of the aluminum foil is matte, while the other side is shiny. The foil to foil side has a matte and satiny finish, but the foil to roll side is shiny and bright because it has been in contact under high contact stresses with the polished rolls during rolling."-pg 355 Manufacturing Engineering and Technology, 5th edition. Serope Kalpajian and Steven R schmid.

I knew someone in culinary school and someone asked about baking with foil shiny side down or up. The instructor said it makes no difference. I do shiny side down out of habit.

I used to make sure i did shiny side down (thought it kept the heat in) but then I realized that it didnt make much of a difference and I stopped caring.
I just checked my hookah and the shiny side is down, guess its habit...

• 1 year later...