Weight Loss

Stuie

Quick update - The last month hasn't been the best due to alot of stress and family stuff at home but I'm pretty proud that I not only maintained the 20 lbs lost but lost another 5 on top of that in the midst of some pretty horrible times.

Started back into my full routine this week and feel much better than I have in the last few weeks because of it.

Thank you Spring for allowing me some freaking variety in my cardio!

thanks for all the good advice people, it's motivating, and congrats on the awesome change Contristo!

Here's my .02$...

Veggies:
Zucchini: it contains vitamins that naturally raise your metabolism.
Broccoli: its a cleaner carb than a dinner roll
Yams: its a cleaner carb than a dinner roll
Asparagus: its a good dieretic and perfumes you're bathroom to boot

Breads:
Steamed White or Brown Rice

Meat:
Keep a good balance between red meat and poultry. Don't do any Atkins type crap for more than three days.

Dairy:
Keep intake to a minimum. I loss a couple pounds just not putting half and half in my coffee for a couple of weeks...

Vitamins:

Take a good multivitamin after you work out. Watch the sugar thats in one of these....

If you can, get more weight lifting in. The more muscle mass you build, the more fat your body can burn on its own without alot of strenuous activity.

I am a fairly skinny guy, not because I work out or watch every single meal but mostly what I eat 80% of the time
I almost follow the Brazilian diet which excludes breakfast in place of 2 meals a day (although I usually have some sort of protein from peanuts to protein shapes to keep me tied over) and have a light lunch of fruit
I'd say I would have a fairly healthy dinner 4-5 times a week
but I do admit I do not have a sweet tooth and am not tempted to snack very often, which is what I find is the difference between me and some people
I have also read that eating right for your blood type is a fairly decent way to lose weight (though I have read conflicting reviews, but which diet hasnt?)
may the force be with you my friend

QUOTE (ZWAN @ Apr 4 2009, 02:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am a fairly skinny guy, not because I work out or watch every single meal but mostly what I eat 80% of the time
I almost follow the Brazilian diet which excludes breakfast in place of 2 meals a day (although I usually have some sort of protein from peanuts to protein shapes to keep me tied over) and have a light lunch of fruit
I'd say I would have a fairly healthy dinner 4-5 times a week
but I do admit I do not have a sweet tooth and am not tempted to snack very often, which is what I find is the difference between me and some people
I have also read that eating right for your blood type is a fairly decent way to lose weight (though I have read conflicting reviews, but which diet hasnt?)
may the force be with you my friend

How is that the Brazilian diet? Being Brazilian, breakfast is most important meal of the day. And then a light lunch, snack, and dinner.
Im just confused...

Just eat less, whatever it takes to do that. If you have a wife cooking for you try to keep it to just meals.

I was in the same boat, 5'10, 350lbs... down to about 285/290. For me it was entirely cutting out soda (though I upped beer considerably lol) and snacks. If I really get hungry (or bored since lets face it bored eating happens) I make it part of a meal- a corndog or something and then the meal is just smaller.

I am a poor college student, have mostly lost weight because I am too POOR to buy snack foods lol. As a poor college student I don't eat healthy at all, and was able to lose weight this way. P.S. I have tried everything from slim fast to atkins to weight watchers to running. I have done slight exercise via badminton and tennis for PE- but that is only 3 hours a week. Good luck!

here's the gist of it:

less calories than your body takes to maintain it's weight level = weight loss.

Now, that's dandy, but the problem is where that weight loss will come from....muscle mass....muscle is easier for the body to break down than fat is.

That's why exercise is important. Cardio to keep the heart up to shape (it's a msucle as well), and weight training to keep the rest up.

Hell, even screwing around with dumbells while on the crapper will be better than nothing. Just work on those muscles.

The most aggressive weight loss I had was when I was working physical labor, and instituted a 2000calorie diet....I lost a pound every workday. Given, I was throwing 100lb boxes around all day (around 500-600 boxes)...I not only lost that weight, but gained muscle. That was the amazing part to me....and trust me, it feels amazing to look at your arms in the mirror, and see muscle definition you haven't seen in years.

...that reminds me, i need to do my dumbell reps (no, not on the crapper, LOL...that was just a joke). Edited by mustang_steve

• 2 weeks later...
So I bought a bicycle yesterday! Since I graduated, I haven't been very active (no job yet) and I'm putting on weight again. I lost 25 pounds last December due to pneumonia but it's all back again now (225 lbs). The worst part about it is just the lack of energy, the heartburn, and the snoring. Sometimes, I'll be just falling asleep and snore and wake myself up. I hate it.

I've been borrowing a bike last week but now I have my own. So I'm riding it everyday and boy does my ass hurt but other than that, I feel great.... And it'll be good for my knees since they are horrible, dislocated both of em...one when I was 13 and the other last year. So building up the legs muscles will help stabilize those poor fuckers.

My goal is to get back down to under 200 lbs. And I am going to watch what I eat again since the last few months have been like vacation/splurge.

NO MORE I TELL YOU! Less food, bicycle everyday, and walk the dogs everyday...that is the plan smile.gif

• 4 weeks later...
QUOTE (Stuie @ Oct 14 2008, 08:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Okay I am 5'10" 350lbs. I don't look it... ask Canon or Kathryn. Problem is...that ain't healthy.

I need some help or ideas on trying to lose weight. I work 40-50 hours a week. Fix computers at night, and build websites on the weekends to pay off this surgery I just hadand my wife's a few months ago. Needless to say I don't have a ton of extra time.

I have tried:
Atkins, Metabolic, Weight Watchers, Fast 5, South Beach, and others I know I forgot.

I work out with Kettlebells when I remember and have the energy.

I eat out once a week and cook at home the rest. Down to 1 Dr Pepper a day.

Anyone have ideas please let me know and no i can't afford big programs to loose weight.

Stuie, this is what you need to do to have a defined starting point, nutrition wise:

FOR ONE WEEK, WRITE DOWN EVERYTHING YOU EAT

dont miss a thing, after that we can talk and analyze.

Also, you need to list what your background is: athletics, health history [including gentic dispositions], any medications, your lifestyle.

Start here, because i know i can definitely help you, its what i do for a living--personal training.

also PM me if you have any other questions.. id be glad to help Edited by beachkidcb

• 2 weeks later...
i'm 350lbs and 6'2"

i've always been big. i have also tried a shit ton on diets with no luck.

i eat 4-6 small meals a day and never drink soda EVER! and never seem to drop below 350lbs.

i've been 350lbs for 10yrs and always trying to improve my health ie. gym, healthy eating, staying active...

i guess i'm ment to be a big ole southern corn eatin redneck... lolz

good luck with your health...

QUOTE (beachkidcb @ May 19 2009, 10:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Okay I am 5'10" 350lbs. I don't look it... ask Canon or Kathryn. Problem is...that ain't healthy.

I need some help or ideas on trying to lose weight. I work 40-50 hours a week. Fix computers at night, and build websites on the weekends to pay off this surgery I just hadand my wife's a few months ago. Needless to say I don't have a ton of extra time.

I have tried:
Atkins, Metabolic, Weight Watchers, Fast 5, South Beach, and others I know I forgot.

Anyone have ideas please let me know and no i can't afford big programs to loose weight.

Stuie, this is what you need to do to have a defined starting point, nutrition wise:

FOR ONE WEEK, WRITE DOWN EVERYTHING YOU EAT

dont miss a thing, after that we can talk and analyze.

Also, you need to list what your background is: athletics, health history [including gentic dispositions], any medications, your lifestyle.

Start here, because i know i can definitely help you, its what i do for a living--personal training.

also PM me if you have any other questions.. id be glad to help

That was a post 8 months ago.

QUOTE (Hellaslow @ May 29 2009, 02:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i'm 350lbs and 6'2"

i've always been big. i have also tried a shit ton on diets with no luck.

i eat 4-6 small meals a day and never drink soda EVER! and never seem to drop below 350lbs.

i've been 350lbs for 10yrs and always trying to improve my health ie. gym, healthy eating, staying active...

i guess i'm ment to be a big ole southern corn eatin redneck... lolz

good luck with your health...

Have you ever talked to a doc about certain medical issues (hypothyroidism)?...I was also reading there's a bacteria that activates weight gain...

bacterias and viruses

Stuie, drink lemon-water, get some fresh lemons and when you drink water, squeeze a slice of lemon into it and drop it in there. You can drink a gallon a day and your body won't hold the water, I quit sodas and lost 5 lbs, started lemon water and lost another 5+. In my experience though, you will HAVE to exercise and reduce calorie intake, I lost over 30lbs about a year ago with 30mins a day 3 or 4 days a week, just in the garage. Dumbells, and a treadmill was all I had, and one of those ab-lounge chairs but I don't know how helpful that thing was to be honest. Anyways, good luck man, I got started and then I was feeling so good when I lost weight and it kept me motivated. I gained some back recently cause of personal life issues and a job loss but I'm getting back to working out so I'm hoping it comes back off, and I have much less to lose this go round!

-Z

*edit* Also, I have hypothyroid, so I have to take pills for that, but its the lowest dose and to be honest I just had to give it hard work, diet alone won't work, you've GOT to do some exercise with it to build muscle, muscle burns the fat. Edited by Zyram

I have tried:

The trick to losing weight is simple... eat less and move more doing that alone you should see some progress... I tried all the diets as well but nothing is better than simply eating healthy and doing as much cardio as you can safely do. I lost around 60lbs just running as much as i could and simply cutting things out such as ALL fast food ALL junk food and ALL sweatend beverages. eat more fish in place a red meat switch from white to wheat or better yet whole grain bread. eat lots of vegetables baby carrots are a godsend, whenever you wanna snack just eat some baby carrots. I ate a lot of tuna, howeer, watch how much you eat because of the murcury poisoning, 3 or 4 times a week at most when it comes to tuna.

The most importand thing to remember is that losing weight is NOT a choice its HUNDREDS of choices everyday just make one at a time... If you can do this IT WILL work

• 5 months later...
So I am resurrecting this thread because I just read Jack's in the General Section. Since I started a year ago, I have changed jobs, had a kid and spent a couple months on Prozac for depression. So I am back to square one.

But just recently I had to go to a Chiropractor for my back. Thought I had a slipped disk, but it was just pressure on the disc from when I slept that caused the pain. And being robbed a few weeks ago, and having to visit my judgmental narcissistic mother-in-law (if she brings up my weight....) in two time in the next 2 months... let's just say I have had it! That's it. I am fed up. This will mostly likely slow my tobacco reviews down... but they haven't been consistent lately... damn depression. When I get depressed i stick to like 4 tobaccos.

So I am reviewing this thread, more and making changes. I thought of something while skimming this thread.

The goal is a lifestyle change, not a lose weight plan. You can’t lose the weight and return to your old ways it will just become a cycle, not a path. - Stuie

You can quote me on that.

When I was born I had an infection and had my thyroid and parathyroid removed. I have 0 natural metabolism and even physical excersice is about 2/3s less effective than it would be for a normal person. I know how hard it is to lose weight more so than almost everyone else in the world. I have been overweight my entire life because I couldn't take medication til I was at least 12, then at that point I was already so overweight that they made almost no difference, it just helped me maintain my weight. Right now I'm 6'5" and I used to wear a size 55 jean size and right now I go up and down between a 44 and 46 since I joined this forum. My goal is a loose size 38 or snug 36, anything else is unrealistic and would look weird at someone my height.

I feel like gatorade is decent to drink if you're somewhat dehydrated, but water should do the exact same thing. To be honest, the only time I drink gatorade is in the morning after a long night of drinking. Feel like it helps refuel/recharge the system a little better than water. I think I'd recommend just going with water or water with some lemon/cucumber for a refreshing drink substitute to gatorade/poweraid/soda/etc.

Gatorade makes me want to puke when im exercising real hard. that sweet suagrry fake flavor fucking gross. G2 is ok but yea it does help with dehydration but IMO if your just jogging or doing regular weight lifting or something i wouldnt drink it. Burninig off those 400 calories from the drink is just going to set you back.

QUOTE (Stuie @ Oct 14 2008, 11:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks guys. Don't be afraid to be brutal, maybe that's what I need, just some motivation to bust through the stress and depression and get my ass in gear.

The one thing you need to understand if you are 350 but don't look it is that you will never ever be "skinny". if you are 350 and don't look it you are most likely of a bigger build. and when people with big builds get super skinny...it looks horrible. weight watchers really is the most amazing diet program to follow. not only can you eat and drink whatever you want but i found on it that you don't go hungry. and unlike most programs when you weight more you're intake is less...but in weight watchers the more you weight the higher your allowed points go. look you can't starve yourself or make yourself go without the good things in life. when i did ww weight in day/night i ate whatever i wanted afterward. one night a week i ate out and i think that helped keep me on track. that and ww is so flexible you don't have to cut anything important out. the thing that kept me on track was knowing every wed. night i had to get on a scale in front of someone. and no matter what that pushed me to want to weight at least a pound less then the week before. i know you said you tried it....but give it another go. it works because it's just balanced meals.

hope this helps.