Weight Loss

Stuie

I would suggest reducing the amounts of fatty foods, eating healthier foods, and a lot of cardio exercises (possibly start walking and gradually increase the cardio activities to jogging and later to running).

Just remember, don't give up and stay focused to the primary goal (getting healthier). Stay positive.

Good luck.

Chuck
gotHookahs.com

Right now i am working on losing weight as well and I have started to eat every 3 hours. It really helps. For example I eat a bowl of cereal with skim milk at 8am. At 11am I eat a bag a carrots and half a peanut butter sandwich, or a serving of yogurt with cucumber and some mint. At 2pm I eat another bag of carrots with the 2nd half of the peanut butter sandwich. At 5pm I eat some almonds and an apple. At 8pm I eat what my mom makes which is almost always very healthy. at 11pm I eat something small. In the mornings I have started a Heavy bag workout routine. If you have the money I highly suggest getting one as the issue I had when I attempted to start running every day was that i got bored very easily. With the heavy bag its so much fun I dont lost interest. Just make sure you use proper form when hitting the heavy bag as I did not and may have hurt my elbow. And if you are going to get a heavy bag get an 80 or 100lb bag and make sure you get handwraps and training gloves...it can get a bit pricey but in the long run it is much cheaper than a gym.

things are stagnant for me - im still eating well but ive been hella sick for 2 weeks so i havent felt good enough to work out since last Friday. I'm pretty bummed. I was really starting to enjoy it, so I can't wait to get back to it. I actually had some womens hitting on me again! Love that feeling

Gotta get better so I can work out!! Arrrgh!

Yeah Srawas eating smaller meals throughout the day is working great for me too.

Nice to hear your doing it too!

I'm thinking of getting this to keep me moving when I'm studying/watching t.v./playing video games etc... what do you guys think?

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Magnetrainer...4202&sr=1-4

this would be in addition to my regular gym routine (45-60 minutes of cardio everyday)

**also, last time I weighed myself, i was down to 220! hoping to be at least 218 by my birthday (dec 15th).

Doubon, that looks cool. I have been looking for a bike to work out on at home, in front of the tv, but I find I am spending more time on the comp for projects, this may be an interesting idea.

Personally I am going to start something I tried before.

http://www.fast-5.com/

I started this and lost about 15 pounds over a couple of months. The problem with it I had is my commitments. The diet and lifestyle is you eat during the hours of 5-10pm. The problem I had was my family always gets together every Sunday for lunch at my grandmothers. She always cooks. So I would eat that meal and inevitably eat dinner later. Which pretty much would negate the past week. Now I am going to make lunch my only meal on Sunday. And add kettlebells and simple workouts to this. Hopefully I will stand this time despite my lack of self control. Probably start tomorrow or the next day. With all the great recipes with low carbs and tips posted here, I should be able to drop some weight and keep it up.

Stuie, if you do go with a bike, go recumbent.

I've owned 3 and use hundreds- recumbents are the best for comfort, back health, and calories burned per minute. The downsides are that they're more expensive and take up more room.

This is the one I have currently. I can read, watch a movie, play video games, talk on the phone, or even smoke hookah- all while burning more calories per minute than on a treadmill or an upright bike.

QUOTE (gaia.plateau @ Dec 10 2008, 12:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Stuie, if you do go with a bike, go recumbent.

I've owned 3 and use hundreds- recumbents are the best for comfort, back health, and calories burned per minute. The downsides are that they're more expensive and take up more room.

This is the one I have currently. I can read, watch a movie, play video games, talk on the phone, or even smoke hookah- all while burning more calories per minute than on a treadmill or an upright bike.

What? C'mon now.

I suggest eating 5-6 small meals a day, lift WEIGHTS, interval training for 30 mins on a treadmill or bike and cut out on the soda.

Good luck! I suggest you read some articles on HIIT and the idea behind crash diets. Simply put, being active is a lifestyle, not a phase. You gotta put your heart into it.

• 2 weeks later...
Nice Stuie!

Been a while since I've updated so I thought it was high time.

We had our first official weigh in at work, and I was happy yet disapointed. See, in the first 2 weeks of my lifestyle change I lost 8 lbs. Then I got sick. Really sick. I had the sinus and throat infections from hell that stuck around for 3 weeks, then I was better for 2 WHOLE DAYS before coming down with a stomach flu for a week. I was getting really discouraged not being healthy enough to work out.

So I got better and when we weighed in despite my fear that I had gained it all back I am still down 7 lbs. Not a great ammount for 6 weeks but considering I was sick as hell for 4 of those, not too shabby.

Of all the ironic things I worked out 2 days ago, went to visit my grandma and started feeling really iffy, thinking "FUCK I AM NOT SICK AGAIN!!!!". Weeellll, not sick but I woke up today (Happy New Year) with horrible food poisoning. Had to take a perscription strength back tranquilizer which put me out untill noon.

But I'm right back to it now that I'm healthy enough and am proud to say I lifted tonight AND went jogging for like a half hour.

I'm in pain but I feel GREAT about it. Can't wait till next weigh in when I kick some major ass, provided I can stay healthy enough to work out and eat properly.

Well, weighed myself this AM and I'm now down 10 lbs.

Goodbye 305 hello 295. My basic goal is to be on the other side of 250. So I only have 46 lbs till that's met, which can reasonably be done by summer.

Well quick update. I am reevaluating on how to procede. I was dropping a ton of weight doing Fast-5...got a stomach ulcer. So that's out. Gained some wieght back but oh well. Time to get to it.

i don't know if this is an issue for you, but what i started doing is stop eating after 9. When you eat before you sleep whatever you eat is stored as fat which is really unhealthy. Also i started taking this drug that's FDA approved called Ally. It's a drug that bassicaly takes whatever fatty foods you eat, and make you crap yourself silly. Just please be aware, that if you plan on eating pizza, or any type of fast food stay near a toliet or a simple fart and you will crap yourself. I'm not trying to be funny, I'm dead serious. This is a somewhat good drug because it keeps you away from all of those unhealthy trans fatty foods in fear of what will happen after words. Gl bro!

QUOTE (Anxiety @ Jan 7 2009, 10:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i don't know if this is an issue for you, but what i started doing is stop eating after 9. When you eat before you sleep whatever you eat is stored as fat which is really unhealthy. Also i started taking this drug that's FDA approved called Ally. It's a drug that bassicaly takes whatever fatty foods you eat, and make you crap yourself silly. Just please be aware, that if you plan on eating pizza, or any type of fast food stay near a toliet or a simple fart and you will crap yourself. I'm not trying to be funny, I'm dead serious. This is a somewhat good drug because it keeps you away from all of those unhealthy trans fatty foods in fear of what will happen after words. Gl bro!

Stop drugging yourself up. It's a waste of time.

It is true that one should not eat within 2 hours of bedtime, as during sleep, one's metabolism slows down, however, your body does use calories in your sleep. I mean, c'mon, your basic life functions need nutrients to survive, even in a dormant state.

The reason why fat is stored during sleep is because carbohydrates become stored in your body in the form of glycogen (just a fancy word for sugar, for those not familiar) -- and turns into adipose tissue (again, just a fancy word for fat) if one does not use the glycogen for energy. Point being, your caloric output must exceed food intake in order to attain weight loss.

Most weight loss drugs and fad diets lead to quick weight loss, but upon desertion from both methods, weight gain is imminent, as past habits will lead to your previous state of health. One must consider output/intake and master this by:

a) reading nutrition labels,
cool.gif monitoring output,
c) adhering to dietary guidelines, especially serving sizes and
d) maintaining exercise intensity, meaning using short bursts of energy and short rests, as opposed to consistently easygoing approaches to exercise, such as jogging, walking, long-distance endurance exercises

Why are sprinters more muscular than distance runners? Because of the short bursts of energy and short rest periods, as opposed to drawn out expense of the same amount of energy.

Think of it this way, nuclear bombs use enormous amounts of energy, but destroy much more expansive areas. But bullets take longer to attain the same result.

Pardon the satire. LOL.

I haven't lost any weight per se (well about 5 pounds), but I have lost significant amounts of fat, as well as losing an inch from my waistline this past month through intense physical labor.

Even though I got laid off today (no biggie, I already have recieved job offers, and have enough cash to go 4-5 months easy...I ALWYAS have a plan B and plan C), I will find ways to continue this kind of exertion just because I love the results....everytime I meet up with my friends, some of them keep asking me how I keep slimming up so fast....and I haven't changed my diet much at all....hamburgers and sugar-free energy drinks.

Nice man! BNeware though, your body will adjust in time. When I started house painting (old career) I lost a decent amount and trimmed up but my body got used to it and with no steady increase in exertion I stopped losing and even gained a few back sad.gif

Mini-triumph tonight! Tonight marked the first night I REALLY REALLY didn't want to work out and I did my whole routine which includes 25 minutes (7 miles) interval training on the excercise bike sandwiched around my complete free weights routine which include a series of dumbell enhanced core excercises and upper body lifts (about 30-40 minutes worth) and some serious stretching at the end. Oh and then some sex smile.gif

I and others are starting to notice a difference in my core, and the hope is that as the muscles build and the fat burns, the new sexy ripped me will be revealed more and more.

Pretty hyped yo!

I have a solution for every human.First get your head in shape! Ask yourself this "Why do I eat"? Now you have to ask yourself this everytime you eat and drink. If the answer is, "I'll die if I don't eat" you are only beginning. In the Jewish religion we have a law that upon drinking or eating you have to say to yourself some of these things:
"I eat to make my body healthy which is a Commandment"
"I eat in order to have the energy to serve G-D and do the Commandments"
"I eat to fulfillthe original plan of creation by eating from the worlds of mineral, vegetable, and animal "(if you do eat meat), and 4th, hopefully not human flesh!
(In this condition a human eating with the meditation above in mind you eat, digest the food causing the spiritual sparks in the Taco, Big Mac or salad to be released from the food and they rise back to their original source in creation, helping to perfect the world."
On the Sabbath we say "I eat in honour of the Holy Sabbath".
I did this until age 38 and stayed in good shape, choosing non fat foods and health foods, running and from age 32 walking long distances with a heavy pack fast.
At age 38 I stated eating Dorritos in quite large volumns , of course stopped excersizing and at 5"10' tall I went up to 224 Lbs. ! Depressing and gave up until I stated to tell my Creator that He sent my soul inside a body into this physical sphere and particular time (when Dorritos were made, since Abe Lincoln and Napolean Boneparte never had that temptation) and asked for help in strengthening the general meditations above into a meal by meal deep meditation while I eat. In a 4 months again with daily very fast walking of 40 minutes a day and no desert, fats and anything eating of just for its pleasure I went from 224 lbs to 159 and for 2 1/2 years kept it the same at age almost soon 56. Its free, you save money on food and you might lose weight.

I dont think you can just lose weight by eating less you also have to exersize
Okay here is what i did to lose 60 pounds.
-For breakfeast i had ceral with low fat milk
-Lunch I had a turkey Sandwhich
-Whenever you fell hungry eat an apple or any fruit forget about chips and other snacks
-I ran two miles a day beacuse i wanted to lose weight fast, but u can run 4 times a week
-I stopped drinking soda, and eating fast foods.
I lost 60 pounds in 4 months, i also never measured my weight during this time, because when you do it seems forever
the hard part is the first couple of weeks, afterwards its easy. Keep in mind after you do lose the weight you have to keep it off that is an Lifetime job
GOOD LUCK : )

ive lost 40 pounds by by eating better and wotking out.

i recomend go buying a set of ajustable dumbells and working out with them 30 minutes a day. an hour walk a day will also help you greatly. a gym membership is nice you have acces to all kinds of equiptment and 45 minutes a day is all you need lift weights 1 day and do cardio the next your body will recover from the weight wile you do cardio, and the cardio will be your compensation for not lifting.

eating better is also good, just make wiser choices

Argh. The last two days have sucked. I really need to work out. I worked out Sunday and it was really tiring and I've just been super tired, I think I need more sleep for this active lifestyle.

Argh. Adjustment is tough.

QUOTE (giant ninja robot @ Jan 14 2009, 06:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Argh. The last two days have sucked. I really need to work out. I worked out Sunday and it was really tiring and I've just been super tired, I think I need more sleep for this active lifestyle.

Argh. Adjustment is tough.

Sleep. Eat. Train.

Sleep: 7-8 hours/day
Eat: 5-6x/day every two hours in small quantities
Train. 45-90 mins.

Skip cardio, it's a waste of time unless you sprint.....

Cardio isn't a waste of time lol.

At any rate, so here's the lastest update: I'm working out harder than ever and I've upped the weights used in the upper body dumbbell routine I'm doing. I'm also well into the cardio that I wasn't doing regularly enough.

The only habit I have yet to completely change is eating during pm hours, and I'm doing better at that I must say.

I'm really hyped at this point. I'm craving exercise, feeling way better, and people are starting to notice a difference.

I am experiencing some irritation though, since I've actually GAINED 2 lbs over the last week. I know that with my increased activity it's muscle weight since visually I'm still getting thinner and more muscular but having been stuck in a lbs is all that matters mindset I'm having to realign my thoughts and goals.

When I was an inch shorter and less full framed as a teen the doctor I was seeing said with my frame my goal weight is 220-230 lbs. I cant really see that happening at this rate and it's fucking with me mentally since my goals have been to get under 250 then to hit 230-240 and stay there. Frankly I'm getting addicted to this new lifestyle and exploring the potential of my naturally muscular frame. So I'm at 294-295 but way thinner than I started. I have no way to measure my BMI (whihc I dont completely trust anyway).

It's just frustrating seeing my progress in the mirror (my shoulders and thighs are getting scary and I can actually see arm muscles lol) and not see it reflected in numbers.

I'm thinking all I can do is measure my success by image and fitness the old school way as opposed to constant lb counting and weight obsession.

Yeah I know, muscle weighs more than fat...

Advice? I'm doing exactly what I want and am growing happier and happier with the results but can't shake this lack of pound loss frustration.

Oh and fuck if I don't feel like smoking NEARLY as much since this change...kinda bittersweet.