Weight Loss

Stuie

Crossfit for someone like you will be hard on the body.  IF you are going to do it, then be sure to get treated regularly with chiropractic.  There are multiple articles out there stating why you need chiropractic during your Crossfit training.  It's very hard on the body.

• 4 weeks later...

I would just start by increasing the amount of times you eat per day, while reducing the size of those meals. Eat every 2 hours, but small portions. Stay away from all fatty foods. Focus on carbs and protein; maybe 50% carbs, 40% protein, 10% good fats. and exercise everyday. I would run or swim for the first few months until you shed a significant amount. mornings are best to do this. Then start a lifting regiment to translate some of that additional weight into muscle. 

disclaimer: didn't go through this whole thread so i might be repeating afore mentioned things. 

read some more  :P

@drsmokes

recommendations for gaining weight? been struggling at 175 for the last 2-3 months now. I want to gain 10 more lbs it without gaining fat particularly in regards to abs.  i have a pretty good diet, all clean foods. no junk. my diet is 60/30/10 protein/carbs/fats. my workouts consist of 20% cardio, 80% weights. 3-4 days a week.

read some more  :P

@drsmokes

recommendations for gaining weight? been struggling at 175 for the last 2-3 months now. I want to gain 10 more lbs it without gaining fat particularly in regards to abs.  i have a pretty good diet, all clean foods. no junk. my diet is 60/30/10 protein/carbs/fats. my workouts consist of 20% cardio, 80% weights. 3-4 days a week.

How many grams or protein are you eating per day?  How tall are you?  Show me what exactly you are doing in the gym (sets, reps, exercise, etc).  What kind of cardio?  Is it a steady paced cardio?  If so, you need to change it to HIIT.  I can try to find one for the bike (I think it's 15 min or so).  This will get your testosterone and other muscle building hormones increased.  

Have you or do you take creatine?  What other supplements do you take?  Weight gain issues can be a lot of different things and I can't say for sure (i.e. candida and parasites can make it hard for people to gain weight in the gym).  

I would just start by increasing the amount of times you eat per day, while reducing the size of those meals. Eat every 2 hours, but small portions. Stay away from all fatty foods. Focus on carbs and protein; maybe 50% carbs, 40% protein, 10% good fats. and exercise everyday. I would run or swim for the first few months until you shed a significant amount. mornings are best to do this. Then start a lifting regiment to translate some of that additional weight into muscle. 

disclaimer: didn't go through this whole thread so i might be repeating afore mentioned things. 

I don't agree with much of this.

6', i eat about 200-250g of protein. my exercise will vary but generally its one muscle group a day plus abs. i tend to change up the types of exercises. 4 sets of 10/8/8/6 reps, with increased weight as i reps lower. cardio is mainly HIIT, if i'm running, i do it in intervals. if I'm swimming, same thing. 

i used to take creatine but stopped that a long time ago and really not a fan of supplements. all i take is whey or whey isolate. I also have yellow pine pollen as a natural testosterone booster but only take it on occasion.

Well, it looks like you are taking too much protein and not enough good fats.  Knowing your exact workouts may help me too, and how long you've been doing these exercises (i.e. do you switch it up at all?).  How long have you been trying to gain muscle now?

I think the big thing is changing reps and sets, which it sort of sounds like what you are doing.  I'd recommend changing your sets if you are keeping those the same.  From the research I found, you want a total number of reps to equal 20-40 for each exercise.  Also, be sure to change your tempo.  Slow "negative" then explode (and you can change that too, slow both directions).  I'd recommend between 3-4 second negatives.  This alone helped me out big time.

I'd recommend taking some supplements.  A good multi, fish oil, digestive enzymes, proteolytic enzymes, L-Glutamine, vit-D3 (10-20,000 IUs per day), and I personally like creatine (I use to be totally against it and did a lot of research and began to like it more and more...so after about 8 years of telling people "no", I found myself buying it and taking it).  The sad truth is, our foods are depleted of nutrients because our soil is depleted (thanks to poor farming practices and monsanto), which is why we need to be taking supplements for optinal health and performance.  I'm sure you can find an incompetent MD saying otherwise somewhere on the internet, but the biochemistry is there and they mostly ignore it when it comes to food and supplements and think it only applies to their medications lol

While good advice, and it works for many, that definitely did not work for me. I love food to the point where if I sit down for a meal, sadly, I will over eat. So I found trying to eat more smaller meals was much more difficult for me than 3 maybe 4 regular sized meals.

Just throwing that out there in case others do try to do more smaller meals and aren't finding success with it.

I would just start by increasing the amount of times you eat per day, while reducing the size of those meals. Eat every 2 hours, but small portions. Stay away from all fatty foods. Focus on carbs and protein; maybe 50% carbs, 40% protein, 10% good fats. and exercise everyday. I would run or swim for the first few months until you shed a significant amount. mornings are best to do this. Then start a lifting regiment to translate some of that additional weight into muscle. disclaimer: didn't go through this whole thread so i might be repeating afore mentioned things. While good advice, and it works for many, that definitely did not work for me. I love food to the point where if I sit down for a meal, sadly, I will over eat. So I found trying to eat more smaller meals was much more difficult for me than 3 maybe 4 regular sized meals. Just throwing that out there in case others do try to do more smaller meals and aren't finding success with it. I have the same issues myself. What works for me is having a small portion of the calorie saturated foods like meat and such then compensating with a healthy "filler". I usually end up either adding rice or grape nuts to a meal so I can get more "fullness" without intaking a bunch of crap. For breakfast I have one of those bigger sized wal mart yogurts with a good amount of grape nuts in it and its surprisingly filling.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah for breakfast I either do REAL oatmeal with fruit, sun butter, a splash of chobani, almonds, raisins, and flax seeds, or a smoothie, or a piece of fiber toast with sun butter, a bunch of fruit, and oats on top, it's pretty bomb. All three of those fill me for a solid amount of time.

I have always technically been overweight, but my build is that of a football player rather than a soccer player. No matter what according to the white coats I will be "overweight" But I weighed 225 at one point and just said screw this, ran 3 miles every day and just ate until I barely felt full and lost 30 pounds in a few months. And now I just run 3-4 times a week maybe 2-3 miles or so, and i've been able to keep the weight off no problem.

Once you see results, it becomes easier, at least it did for me. It made me work harder when I started to see results.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm trying to get back on the health train. I was quite the chubster a few years back and I lost some weight but got uninspried and gained a bit back now I'm trying to force myself to get back into eatting properly, going to the gym yet still enjoy myself.

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some easy tips.
1.Take a walk.
2.Say no to sugar. Switch to sugarfree. 
3.If you are rice lower,cook rice in open pot and in extra water. Throw away the excess water. 
4.Avoid fried. Switch to roasted food. 
5.Consume luke warm water,lemon juice and honey mixture. 
6.Have your dinner at least 4 hours before going to bed. 
7.Eat plenty of citrus fruits and drink lot of water. 

• 1 month later...

Lost ~40lbs to Join the Army, then another ~60 during basic.   There is no easy way to lose weight, but a Routine will help, and keeping track of your progress will help.  

Take in fewer calories than you expect to burn (Average person requires ~2,000-2,500/day.  When I was trying to lose weight on my own, I was aiming for ~1,500 or so/day)

Drink as much water as you can, then drink more.   Water tricks your stomach into thinking that it's full- will drastically reduce the feelings of "Boredom hunger"

Cardio dosn't have to be running- do what you can.  Walking, biking, intermittent running and the Elliptical are all good, you must simply keep moving and keep your heart rate up for ~45min or so at a time.

Pay attention to what you are eating.   Write it down, if it helps.   Eat more veggies (Was hard for me, as I dislike Veggies and Fruits)- they fill your stomach more than meats and grains. Just be mindful that you don't drown them in fatty Dressings. 

Don't reward yourself with food!   A "Cheat day" here and there is perfectly fine, but don't think of it as a Reward for doing what you were supposed to do in the first place!  that will generally end up with "Falling off the wagon"

Anyone can lose weight if I did it.   Stay positive, take before/after pics and get that beach body! 

• 1 year later...

So almost 7 years ago I started this thread and I have tried so many things over the years. Working with my doctor and a nutritionist, we have all decided that the best chance of success for me is going to be Gastric Sleeve Surgery. I have to do 5 months of nutrition classes for my insurance... which is bull... cause I have had a nutritionist helping me for 6 months. So I will be going under the knife early September. They so no nicotine at all for the first year so it looks like I will be going for a year... maybe I will be able to get a buzz again from Tangiers after all that.

Damn, that's a long break from hookah! But, maybe you will enjoy it more afterwards. But, at the end of the day, you gotta do what you gotta do to get yourself to a healthy point.

​I didn't saying I was quitting hookah... Hydro, Fantasia Herbal, AF Herbal, Shiazo, Mya Rocks.... Oh i have a lot of choices now a days. WAY more than just Soex when I started out smoking! Still won't smoke that gel... that was the worst smoke!

Ohhhh, good point, I didn't even think about the herbal stuff! Out of what you've tried, which would you say is the best?

​I have tried most... not an exageration.

Saalaam

Fantasia Herbal

AF Herbal

Hydro

Blaze

If it's on clearance.. Shiazo, Mya Pebbles. Not a big fan of the rocks... just personal preference. I do like Shiazo flavors!!!

• 1 month later...

I've been trying to lose weight too. I find what works best for me is to count and keep track of calories I consume in a day. 

• 4 months later...

I have a huge losing battle with weight loss thanks to psych meds...I've tried everything but surgery. Discussed surgery at length with my doctor, but agreed it not for me with how little I eat/consume per sitting and in total per day.

if I ever get money from that auto accident that permanently disabled me, I'm getting liposuction...that way it's enough weight of my s.i.joints that I can regain some mobility and maybe actually exercise regularly again...my pain doesn't even let me do pt.

butI was losing the weight battle before pain.

I'll find away one day. I miss being a skinny goth kid, hate being over 300 lbs now

down 34 pounds now.

Probably going back to tobacco sooner. Got bored of herbal about 3 weeks into the herbal only before surgery.