Weight Loss

Stuie

So I just took my measurements this morning.  These were my numbers on Dec 13, 2012:

Calves: 15"

Quads: 22"

Biceps: R: 12.5" L: 12.75"

Waist: 42.5"

Chest: 42"

Hips: 39"

Neck: 16"

Today:

Calves: 15"

Quads: 19.5"

Biceps: R: 12.25" L: 12.5"

Waist: 36.75"

Chest: 40"

Hips: 36"

Neck: 15"

Even though the calves haven't gone up or down in inches, they are far more defined.  I've been lifting heavy weights so I was quite surprised that my quads have gone down in size so much...they too are also getting more defined.  Biceps got smaller but the definition between the bicep and delts are much better.  The big thing was my waist and hip measurements.  My belly has gone down about 6" and my hips 3".  I had my "fat" belt before...now that is too big for me and I'm back in the belt I haven't worn for 2+ years...and I'm even able to bring it in an extra hole which I haven't been able to do in about 3 years or so.

Overall...I'm VERY happy with my results.  I have some supplements coming in that I'll be using, like some stuff for oxygenating my muscles, protein, and testosterone supporters (not boosters, just precursors and herbs that help with healthy production of testosterone).  I'll continue to record how things go.  I'm wanting to come up with a good supplement combination for working out so I can give it to my patients to optimize fat burning and muscle building.  I'll keep you posted.

As for my diet...it hasn't been the best so if it were better, I'm sure my results would be even greater.  I've been eating *some* crap (pizza, frozen foods, burgers, etc) but I've been eating a lot of salads (at least one per day) and drinking my green smoothies.  I've been trying to increase my food intake while I'm working out so my body realizes it is getting the fuel so it will increase the metabolism even more.  I'll be changing my diet in the next few weeks to get even more strict.  Cutting calories, increasing protein, decreasing certain carbs, etc. in hopes to get shredded faster :)

• 1 month later...

I've continued on my path.  Added creatine, digestive enzymes, BCAA's, and protein shakes to my regimen.  I'm going to try to take my measurements this week.  I have my inlaws coming in town this weekend and they haven't seen me since I was 210lbs.  I'm now at 187, with my lowest being at 180 since starting to work out.  I've since gained about 7lbs and there has been significant fat loss and muscle gains so I look much better than when I was 187 in the past.  Clothes from when I was 170 are now fitting...and fitting better!  I want to show my inlaws this was the right move to move to FL...they disowned my wife and I when we moved bc they wanted us to stay in the small hillbilly town they all live in.  It's been 2 years since we moved and they are finally coming around...my mother inlaw hasn't come here for 2 years.  Should be interesting.

• 1 month later...

Trying to find some exercise program I can do and stick with.

So I follow Gabriel Iglesias on FB cause... he's freaking FUNNY! He posted he lost 90 pounds doing an exercise routine, and I want to try it but I will say I am a bit embarrassed to say what it is.

*sigh*

http://www.ddpyoga.com/

Keep in mind I have never been a wrestling fan, but on my research on the program I am starting warm up to the idea. 

I find the best motivation in workout is going with another motivated person or up to about 3 (any more puts too much times between sets and makes you cool down). You just kinda feed off each other and want to push even more. Plus there's no euphoric feeling like benching 300+ pounds, sounds gets muffled, the strain and struggle, the rattling of the weights clanging together, then the sense of achievement when you finally get it up, truly amazing :)

Trying to find some exercise program I can do and stick with.

So I follow Gabriel Iglesias on FB cause... he's freaking FUNNY! He posted he lost 90 pounds doing an exercise routine, and I want to try it but I will say I am a bit embarrassed to say what it is.

*sigh*

http://www.ddpyoga.com/

Keep in mind I have never been a wrestling fan, but on my research on the program I am starting warm up to the idea. 

I watched your link and man.......Brought me to tears.  I will say one thing...... I dated a pretty well known actor/martial artist for a couple years.  He told me something I've never forgotten.  He said the absolute fastest way to change your body is yoga.  I've seen some really amazing results and I think he was right.  So hey, go for it.  If you can't afford that program there is a great book "Yoga for Round Bodies" which is a great starter program for those of us who are a little too round to go with some of the regular classes and poses.   

'Rani

I tried doing a body combat with my wife... a room full of skinny women and me.... Man it stirred up every insucrity of body image. I am more of loner when working out... at most having my wife do it with me. 

I've done the DDP yoga in the past. It's very novice in terms of yoga but can give you good results. Keep up the good work. Don't give up. Each day you do it, it is an achievement! Slow progress is still progress. Increasing your muscle mass will only result in a faster burning metabolism while you aren't working out! Keep us posted on your progress!!!

I do give credit to anyone that tries to better themselves. Sometimes I hear people make rude comments about large people running or things of that sort and I flip shit on them. No need for negativity.

Smokes, I'm curious about your opinion of Dr.. Joel Furman's program.  I know it's horribly restrictive, but I've gotten through about half of "Fat, Tired & Nearly Dead" and I'm curious.  It seems extreme but it also seem really remarkable in terms of detoxing and resetting your body.  In "Sink, Tired....." it started with a 6 weeks juice fast, which is definitely extreme, but it was done with the intent to convert over to Dr. Furman's way of eating which is really almost paleo minus meat.  I was thinking I might try a juice fast for a few days, maybe one week and convert over.  But first I'd like to hear someone opinion besides Furman's own.  I do have a Nutri-Bullet so I can easily liquify veggies and fruit, but I also know if I make the change I will probably never go back, and man it's a tough choice to make.  It will literally change my lifestyle forever.  The question is:   Is it worth it?

'Rani

Rani, in my opinon, im not a DR or anything :) but juicing is amazing, even going Raw is hard but amazing. I did a juice week and as a vegetarian and semi healthy person i still felt like shit the first couple days, then it got better. i think everyone should try it. atleast for a couple days then maybe make it pretty regular.

Smokes, I'm curious about your opinion of Dr.. Joel Furman's program.  I know it's horribly restrictive, but I've gotten through about half of "Fat, Tired & Nearly Dead" and I'm curious.  It seems extreme but it also seem really remarkable in terms of detoxing and resetting your body.  In "Sink, Tired....." it started with a 6 weeks juice fast, which is definitely extreme, but it was done with the intent to convert over to Dr. Furman's way of eating which is really almost paleo minus meat.  I was thinking I might try a juice fast for a few days, maybe one week and convert over.  But first I'd like to hear someone opinion besides Furman's own.  I do have a Nutri-Bullet so I can easily liquify veggies and fruit, but I also know if I make the change I will probably never go back, and man it's a tough choice to make.  It will literally change my lifestyle forever.  The question is:   Is it worth it?

'Rani

I think a juice fast is a great start in the right direction.  Now, you may have complications if you have intestinal candida or parasites, especially if you are doing a lot of the fruit juice (which, IIRC, you will be doing mostly veggie juice which is fine) - btw, a lot of people have subclinical candida infections that cause lethargy, irregular bowel movements, and a whole slew of symptoms.

You'll have to see if you like that type of diet.  Honestly, do what you like and can stick to and don't call it a diet.  Call it a lifestyle change.  In our heads, when we think of diets, we set ourselves up to automatically fail.  Here's the premise I would follow: eat as much raw veggies as you can, stick to 1/2 fruit to veggie, if you like meat, eat organic, grass fed, no antibiotics, no steroids, etc etc.  That's pretty much all you should stick to.  For now, I would stay away from rice.  Quinoa may be fine but I would only do like 1/2c per day and try to do it earlier in the day (not at night).

In the end, you need something you can stick to and if you feel something is too strict, then you are setting yourself up for failure.  If anything, set a goal for yourself.  Lose 10lbs and earn 1 'off the diet' meal a week (note: I said meal, not a whole day).  Lose another 10lbs, have 2 'off the diet' meals a week.

We need to focus more on our health than we do our image.  Here's the thing.  Fat cells "produce" estrogen, which leads to a slow metabolism and more fat deposition.  On top of that, most people when they gain weight, are overloading their livers.  When that happens, the liver can't "detox" like it normally can, so it takes those toxins and sticks them in the adipose tissue.  So if you want to get healthy, you should make sure you are supporting your liver so when you do burn your fat, the liver is able to properly detox those toxins, which should lead to faster fat metabolism.  If you are doing a detox program (thus losing weight), I'd look into Acetyl-L-Carnitine.  That should help mobilize fat, send it to the liver and get rid of the toxins.  I'd also take something like milk thistle to support the detox pathways of the liver.  After about 1-2 weeks of eating clean(er), I'd also look into doing a coffee enema.  This is a quick dump of toxins from the liver bc the caffeine, when absorbed through the portal system like that, causes the liver to open up the liver and dump the toxins right into the bowel for you to eliminate (depending on how toxic you are, you may go through a quick detox after that where you feel feverish right away).

g2g, just took up a lot of my lunch to hopefully add some insight on to my thinking :P  My first afternoon patients just got here.  I hope this helps and don't hesitate if you have any questions.

Please Be CAREFUL I am only a 22year old I lost 60 pounds in 7 months. in 10th grade I was 5 foot 8 235 pounds. I lost weight so fast and so quick I ended up having GALLSTONES. I almost died because of these stones getting stuck into the ducts and causing pancreatitis. anyway I had my gallbladder removed and that isn't fun at all. loose weight while doing it safe having no gallbladder sucks......just a little bit of advice good luck sir

Edited by frenchyfam

Please Be CAREFUL I am only a 22year old I lost 60 pounds in 7 months. in 10th grade I was 5 foot 8 235 pounds. I lost weight so fast and so quick I ended up having GALLSTONES. I almost died because of these stones getting stuck into the ducts and causing pancreatitis. anyway I had my gallbladder removed and that isn't fun at all. loose weight while doing it safe having no gallbladder sucks......just a little bit of advice good luck sir

The weightloss couldn't have done that.  Almost everyone has gallstones, it depends on how many and how big.  If you were overweight, you likely had multiple large ones and once you started getting your body to function better, the gallbladder started to work and it tried to get rid of a stone and it go stuck.

And since you have no gallbladder, I hope the surgeon or your nurse or your GP told you that you MUST be supplementing with bile salts...or else there is no way for your body to actually emulsify your dietary fat.  If you don't take bile salts, I would venture to guess you'll end up with some sort of autoimmune disorder later on in life.

I've done the DDP yoga in the past. It's very novice in terms of yoga but can give you good results. Keep up the good work. Don't give up. Each day you do it, it is an achievement! Slow progress is still progress. Increasing your muscle mass will only result in a faster burning metabolism while you aren't working out! Keep us posted on your progress!!!

Well Smokes is there something better out there? I haven't paid for the program yet, Sometime after payday I will.

I want to make a lifestyle change and adding exercise is the obvious answer.

The weightloss couldn't have done that.  Almost everyone has gallstones, it depends on how many and how big.  If you were overweight, you likely had multiple large ones and once you started getting your body to function better, the gallbladder started to work and it tried to get rid of a stone and it go stuck.

And since you have no gallbladder, I hope the surgeon or your nurse or your GP told you that you MUST be supplementing with bile salts...or else there is no way for your body to actually emulsify your dietary fat.  If you don't take bile salts, I would venture to guess you'll end up with some sort of autoimmune disorder later on in life.

no bile salts sir, I eat relatively healthy and mostly whatever I want. I started getting gallstones after the weightloss never had any problems when I was bigger (stomach hurting etc etc. you don't need bile salts because without any negative symptoms there is no need for them. also I had around 20 small ones around a couple millimeters

no bile salts sir, I eat relatively healthy and mostly whatever I want. I started getting gallstones after the weightloss never had any problems when I was bigger (stomach hurting etc etc. you don't need bile salts because without any negative symptoms there is no need for them. also I had around 20 small ones around a couple millimeters

I'm sorry, you really are misinformed.  I'll leave it at that.

Well Smokes is there something better out there? I haven't paid for the program yet, Sometime after payday I will.

I want to make a lifestyle change and adding exercise is the obvious answer.

No!  It's a great start.  I think there are 3 levels of difficulty with it.  I think you will like it.  I would let you borrow a copy if you lived near by :P

Hey smokes, you seem to be the man on nutrition. What is your view on multi-vitamins/vita-packs? Anything you would recommend specifically for weight lifters? My normal diet is out of whack due to a hectic school schedule and taking care of my monster. I might get 2 real meals a day.

As much fruits and vegetables as humanly possible. They should be the base for all your meals. Some people say cut out food groups (carbs on atkins or paleo, cutting out fat, cutting out meat, etc) but the truth is that there is no magic bullet, and if you ever eat those foods again, the pounds will pack right back on. Its fine to have any, just make them an addition to fruits, veggies, and lean proteins.

Never eat low fat/low sugar/diet products. They are faaaar worse for you.

Try to avoid anything out of a package. The less packaging it has the better it is for you. Avoiding processed food is not just good for your weight. Its good for your overall wellness.

Take vitamins, take care of your body. Focus on getting healthy vs looking a certain way. When weight loss becomes all about vanity, often times health can be sacrificed.  

Don't drink soda. Drink a lot of water. 

Going to the gym is good, but also just try to move in daily life. Find a hobby that involves moving. Honestly you don't need to pick up a sport or anything, maybe just go for more walks or something along those lines. 

And lastly, if you have emotional ties to food, learn how to address them in a healthy way. My weight used to ricochet all over the place back before my bipolar was medicated because I would pack on the pounds due to stress/depression eating. A lot of people emotionally eat, and if its something that you have a problem with, you need to learn how to address it properly. There are loads of resources about how to deal with it. If its not addressed, emotional eating can seriously sabotage any weight loss attempts. 

Hey smokes, you seem to be the man on nutrition. What is your view on multi-vitamins/vita-packs? Anything you would recommend specifically for weight lifters? My normal diet is out of whack due to a hectic school schedule and taking care of my monster. I might get 2 real meals a day.

There are multi's I use in my practice but unlikely you can get a hold of them unless you go through a nutritional doc (chiropractors, nutritionist, etc).  But you get what you pay for...if you with centrum or one a day's, you'll likely be shitting those out.  I've seen too many xrays with masses in the intestines and they are undissolved/broken down multi's from those companies lol.  A good test for your multi is if it dissolves in water.  The ones I use, are in capsule form so once the easy-to-break-down capsule breaks down, the vitamins are there to be absorbed.

Be sure to avoid multi's with iron and copper.  Those block the uptake of a lot of vitamins and cause a decrease in multiple other nutrients.  But for weightlifters, I'd recommend a good fish oil, a good b complex, proteolytic enzymes, digestive enzymes (even better if it contains betaine hcl), glutamine, etc.  I'm sure you know about BCAA's if you are lifting (I highly recommend these compared to "pre-workout" supplements).

My preworkout consists of a powdered form of BCAA's and possibly caffeine if I need a lil lift.  Post workout depends on what I'm doing, either more BCAA's or a protein shake with creatine and glutamine (also taken before bed).  I utilize specific digestive enzymes for my own needs from a company that only sells to doctors who are certified in their program (Enzyme Formulations, if you google them, you can find a practitioner near you from their website).  My proteolytic enyzmes are from Biotics Research called Intenzyme Forte (I think it's available on Amazon...even though it shouldn't be).  I'm personally not a big fan of multi's as they don't fix deficiencies, which is why in my practice, I check for specific vitamin deficiencies and fix those first before I go giving out multi's.

I hope this answers your question.