Weight Loss

Stuie

[quote name='Tyler' timestamp='1355416105' post='564849']
Burn more calories than you eat. It's that simple. It's that complicated.
[/quote]

Not really.

I worked out, Aerobic and Anarobic for over a month and dropped 5 pounds and half and inch on my stomach.

I have cut sugar and grains out of my diet and I have lost 6 pounds in the past week and an inch on my stomach. No Exercise.

Ive started boxing and though I am losing fat a bit Im also gaining muscle... can tell on how I look, cant tell on how much I weigh :P EDIT: also can tell on how I feel, so Im pretty happy doing it slow and steady like this Edited by Bawhee

finding out i have an allergy to dairy...well that has caused me to drop about 50 pounds since last year at this time. Not trying to steal away the point of this post, but felt like sharing

[quote name='agunn1231' timestamp='1355472243' post='564998']
finding out i have an allergy to dairy...well that has caused me to drop about 50 pounds since last year at this time. Not trying to steal away the point of this post, but felt like sharing
[/quote]
This is why people who still hold on to "calorie in, calorie out" are wrong, amongst other things (especially since it has been proven incorrect which people don't want to hear). 2000 calories of veggies vs 2000 calories of processed food will have drastically different physiological reactions. Let's just say for you to maintain your weight, you need 2k calories. Given the scenario I just stated (veggies vs processed food), you can actually lose weight with the veggies (if you have fat to burn, could gain weight if you are scrawny and need more muscle mass...that is why natural foods are best, they do what the body needs) and can likely gain weight from the processed food because of the changes the body makes (i.e. hormones - fat burning vs fat storing).

But hey, people can believe what they want to believe. Allergies play a big role which is why I typically tell patients or friends that if they don't want to get tested for allergies that they should just cut out all wheat/flour, dairy, and refined carbs/sugars. Wheat and dairy are some of the most allergenic foods and most people will have a sensitivity to one or the other, a lot of times both. Edited by DrSmokes

very good point. I feel healthier and have a lot fewer stomach upsets since cutting out the stuff that i am allergic to. I eat a lot healthier now too.

• 3 weeks later...
Started another Round of HCG. Hopefully I will do as well as I did last round if so, I could be close to 200 Before the end of summer!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
Updaterooski. I haven't weighed myself in a while but I keep getting comments like "holy shit man, you're looking trim". So I guess I'm looking trim, lol. It's somewhere around 90 lbs lost now I'm sure, I started running like 5 months ago and though I'm on hiatus for the really cold months I've upped my routine at the gym and have been more active than usual in general. At this point I'm at a very good and healthy point and the focus has gone from losing a ton of weight to toning up all this residual damage. I feel pretty darn good with clothes on, still feel like a big floppy mess with clothes off, the real major definition is starting to come in and I'm trying to be patient. On the whole whjen I see someone I haven't seen in a long while they aren't even sure if I'm the same person. Pretty darn cool. Not stopping til I'm absolutely fit.
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='Giant Ninja Robot' timestamp='1358558964' post='568991']
Updaterooski. I haven't weighed myself in a while but I keep getting comments like "holy shit man, you're looking trim". So I guess I'm looking trim, lol. It's somewhere around 90 lbs lost now I'm sure, I started running like 5 months ago and though I'm on hiatus for the really cold months I've upped my routine at the gym and have been more active than usual in general. At this point I'm at a very good and healthy point and the focus has gone from losing a ton of weight to toning up all this residual damage. I feel pretty darn good with clothes on, still feel like a big floppy mess with clothes off, the real major definition is starting to come in and I'm trying to be patient. On the whole whjen I see someone I haven't seen in a long while they aren't even sure if I'm the same person. Pretty darn cool. Not stopping til I'm absolutely fit.
[/quote]
Congrats!

I started my weight loss routine shortly after Thanksgiving. I'm down 15lbs and the last I checked (roughly 2 weeks ago), I've lost 3 inches around my mid section (will be remeasuring in a few days). I've been eating clean (besides 1-2 weeks over Christmas...drank some alcohol and had a few things of bad food but tried sticking to eating clean) since right after Thanksgiving. I'm on week 4 of Insanity, about to go into the "rest week"...which IIRC...isn't really "rest" lol Then after a week of that...on to phase 2 of Insanity...when it really gets insane.

I've been very strict on my diet for the last 10 days, eating nothing but veggies and some fruit. Trying to consume about half my veggies raw...the other half have been slightly cooked (crock pot veggie soup). I'll be adding some meat back into my diet after today. Just trying to cleanse my body right now which should help kick start more weight loss. In a few weeks I'll try to post some numbers.

Nice work dudes :) We kindof rock. I weighed myself, I'm down to 237 which is 2 lbs from my weight at 17. 235 was my major goal at the start, I'm still going but it feels DAMN good to be so crazy close to where I set out to be.

I am hoping to hit 255 by the end of this round. Have to end a bit short, this round because I have to take my daughter to Cook's Children's for a day of tests. Spending a day in a hospital it's hard to prep my food.

Hey dude, I've read only the fi4st and last page of the thread, but I got a great motivational documentary for ya. It might not be entirly what you're looking for, to accomplish, but its motivating and heartening anyway. It is called : I want to look like that guy.

Now this is also about my line of sports: bodybuilding, but it'll work for self image and the psychological image aswell. Enjoy

[quote name='Lebrancard' timestamp='1359196170' post='569693']
Hey dude, I've read only the fi4st and last page of the thread, but I got a great motivational documentary for ya. It might not be entirly what you're looking for, to accomplish, but its motivating and heartening anyway. It is called : I want to look like that guy.

Now this is also about my line of sports: bodybuilding, but it'll work for self image and the psychological image aswell. Enjoy
[/quote]I looked up the site and saw the interview with the guy. Did he just stop working out and start eating crap after he obtained his goal? He didn't look fit in that interview.

There is something to say about his mindset too. He was doing it for outward appearance and not to be overall healthy. Wrong mindset will backfire.

• 3 months later...

I've started lifting weights again and doing Insanity on days I don't make it to the gym.  It's been almost a week now and it feels good!  My wrist I injured is finally to the point where I can lift weights and do push ups.  Now...just gotta get back on the diet plan I was on for a few months before my injury and before I started with the practice I bought.

I put some weight back on due to the fact that I have no time with work, school and family. I fell back in bad habits. I guess with only one course this summer I should be able to get back on track.

cool, im glad there is a fitness post on this forum. im more into the lines of strength training (if i can ever get back to the gym) but ive been reading some of the progression through here and good work guys, it shows a lot about character devoting to something like this.

I will say one thing about my getting fitter through starting boxing, the only reason Im doing this is cause I really enjoy boxing in every way :P if its not fun I dont do working out :D

• 2 weeks later...

Because we've talked about paleo and the effect of wheat, I thought I'd bump this with some additional information thanks to Dr. Oz.   So Dr. Oz had this other cardiologist on today by the name of Davis I think his last name was.  Anyway, he's the author of a book by the name of "Wheat Belly" in which he claims that wheat is both addictive and poisonous to our bodies.  Pretty extreme, right?  Even though more and more people are leaning in that direction, the word poisonous is pretty out there.  And Dr. Oz says that he reads all these books and he's startled by some of the claims, so he decided to put this one to the test.  He took five women from his audience and gave them two slices of healthy wheat bread to eat and then tested their blood sugar.  Then the next day, 24 hours later, he brought them back in and gave them a Snickers bar and again tested their blood sugar.  In three of the five women, there was a much greater increase of blood sugar after the wheat bread than there was after the Snickers bar.  He clarified by saying that in the three women it was a dramatic increase.  He did not say the other women had no increase, etc., but that the three had shocked him.

So, seriously....... I considered buying the book, but I don't need to spend the money to read yet again something I've already read in other books.  I've been back paleo for almost a week and feeling much better already.  No more headaches, blood pressure has dropped, etc.  I tried really hard to do vegetarian and I just kept feeling worse and worse so I went back off grains.  Looks like even Dr. Oz who's long been a proponent of vegetarianism is coming around.

'Rani

Because we've talked about paleo and the effect of wheat, I thought I'd bump this with some additional information thanks to Dr. Oz.   So Dr. Oz had this other cardiologist on today by the name of Davis I think his last name was.  Anyway, he's the author of a book by the name of "Wheat Belly" in which he claims that wheat is both addictive and poisonous to our bodies.  Pretty extreme, right?  Even though more and more people are leaning in that direction, the word poisonous is pretty out there.  And Dr. Oz says that he reads all these books and he's startled by some of the claims, so he decided to put this one to the test.  He took five women from his audience and gave them two slices of healthy wheat bread to eat and then tested their blood sugar.  Then the next day, 24 hours later, he brought them back in and gave them a Snickers bar and again tested their blood sugar.  In three of the five women, there was a much greater increase of blood sugar after the wheat bread than there was after the Snickers bar.  He clarified by saying that in the three women it was a dramatic increase.  He did not say the other women had no increase, etc., but that the three had shocked him.

So, seriously....... I considered buying the book, but I don't need to spend the money to read yet again something I've already read in other books.  I've been back paleo for almost a week and feeling much better already.  No more headaches, blood pressure has dropped, etc.  I tried really hard to do vegetarian and I just kept feeling worse and worse so I went back off grains.  Looks like even Dr. Oz who's long been a proponent of vegetarianism is coming around.

'Rani

I tell all of my patients to get off of a few things:

Wheat

Dairy

Sugar

Alcohol

These all have profound negative effects on/in the body.  I'm glad to see Dr. Oz is finally coming around and sharing some good information (been quite rare since he's received his big show...he's flipped on multiple stances...probably to line his own pockets...some of the stuff he tells you to do, he doesn't do with his own family bc he knows they are bad).

If I buy Wheat Belly to have in my library to lend out to patients, I can lend it out to you if you'd like.  It would be through the Kindle...so if you have a Kindle or a tablet with a kindle app, I can always lend it out.  I think it is lent for 2 weeks and then you no longer have access but again...if I get it, you are more than welcome to read it at my expense :)

Thanks Dr. Smokes, I appreciate the offer.  I think it might be on the Prime list although I didn't check specifically.  if it is, I can borrow it at no charge.  I know I feel better when I'm off all those things, but some of the "claims" or should I say reports of what Paleo is doing for people is pretty amazing.  Several patients with MS are reporting that their symptoms are dramatically reduced by giving up those things.  What also scares me a bit is that according to the FDA almost 80% of our food is GMO.  The only known way to even attempt to avoid GMO foods is by buying certified organic which so far doesn't allow GMO.  We had a ballot measure in California last election that would have forced GMO food to be labeled as such and the idiots around here refused to pass it thanks to the food industries putting out big bucks to claim it would drive up food prices.  A blatant lie since all it would have required is a one time change to the labels they have to reprint all the time anyway.  But there is a hidden way to tell I'm told.  Those bar codes on everything?  If it begins with a 1, it's a GMO food.  Let me say I'm not against genetic modifications that could wipe out things that are bad for us, but as long as greed is running the country, we can't trust anything that's been modified in order to increase profits, which all GMO foods currently are.

'Rami

'Rani

Wheat

Dairy

Sugar

Alcohol

These all have profound negative effects on/in the body.  I'm glad to see Dr. Oz is finally coming around and sharing some good information (been quite rare since he's received his big show...he's flipped on multiple stances...probably to line his own pockets...some of the stuff he tells you to do, he doesn't do with his own family bc he knows they are bad).

If I buy Wheat Belly to have in my library to lend out to patients, I can lend it out to you if you'd like.  It would be through the Kindle...so if you have a Kindle or a tablet with a kindle app, I can always lend it out.  I think it is lent for 2 weeks and then you no longer have access but again...if I get it, you are more than welcome to read it at my expense :)

I would be interested to hear your thoughts on wine. 

Thanks Dr. Smokes, I appreciate the offer.  I think it might be on the Prime list although I didn't check specifically.  if it is, I can borrow it at no charge.  I know I feel better when I'm off all those things, but some of the "claims" or should I say reports of what Paleo is doing for people is pretty amazing.  Several patients with MS are reporting that their symptoms are dramatically reduced by giving up those things.  What also scares me a bit is that according to the FDA almost 80% of our food is GMO.  The only known way to even attempt to avoid GMO foods is by buying certified organic which so far doesn't allow GMO.  We had a ballot measure in California last election that would have forced GMO food to be labeled as such and the idiots around here refused to pass it thanks to the food industries putting out big bucks to claim it would drive up food prices.  A blatant lie since all it would have required is a one time change to the labels they have to reprint all the time anyway.  But there is a hidden way to tell I'm told.  Those bar codes on everything?  If it begins with a 1, it's a GMO food.  Let me say I'm not against genetic modifications that could wipe out things that are bad for us, but as long as greed is running the country, we can't trust anything that's been modified in order to increase profits, which all GMO foods currently are.

'Rami

Yeah, changing ones diet to a clean diet yields remarkable results.  Adding supplements to a clean diet has even better results (of course...specific to each patient).

I can't believe that bill (? or w/e it is called) wasn't voted by the people.  There are complete idiots that believe whatever is said in commercials.

I'm lucky...there's multiple places around me that only sell organic, non-gmo produce...and carry all local grown, in season, produce.  I'm not sure about those labels though...I've seen that posted a lot on facebook and some of those infographics can't be trusted.  Many things at Whole Foods that are labeled as organic...are not.  You can read up on the internet about that I believe.

'Rani

Wheat

Dairy

Sugar

Alcohol

I would be interested to hear your thoughts on wine. 

It depends on the patient, IMO.  Some people can't handle any alcohol, including wine, despite the claims by media saying 1 glass is fine.  Whether it is good for you or not...I don't think we will ever know for sure.  You can find research saying it is great to drink 1 glass/day and others saying not to.

So...the best way to really tell is have an allergy test IMO.  You may be allergic to the sulfites in it or just the alcohol (yes, there is alcohol allergies).  But for most of my patients, I get them off of all alcohol until their body stabilizes.  A lot of times, once you heal the gut, things you were allergic to, you will no longer be allergic to.  The body is self healing, you just have to keep toxins out and bring healing supplements and clean food in, the body can do the rest (also getting help with chiropractic for your nervous system, acupuncture for your energy healing, working out for movement, and a lot of people need to meditate more to settle down the mind, nervous system and energy).

Sorry if this is not what you were looking for :/