Weight Loss

Stuie

[quote name='Stuie' timestamp='1345089270' post='554194']
Wow it's been 4 years since I started this thread... sadly I bring it all back to the original post.

Here it is 4 years later and I am back to square 1. 350 and chronically depressed. A year ago I was down to 275 I had done HCG twice and lost a ton. So what set me back to my old ways? A year ago next week my son was born, as wonderful as that was, it say me back on bad paths. How? In 12 months my son has only slept through the night 3 times and that has been in the past 2 weeks. I don't get enough sleep, I now am back to double fisting Dr Pepper everyday. I attempted juicing a while back, caught the flu 4 days into it. Tried to go no sugar, no starch, after 3 days I caved.

I know carbs and sugar are bad for me, they do make me fill worse later on, but my body craves it like a drug. Quitting cigs years ago was easier than dropping carbs and sugar. I know my body is a protein type, based on several tests I have done, I just can't seem to do it.

I don't have time or the money to join a gym.

I am back to seriously considering surgery. Mostly because a year ago I could get just about any doctor to get me on HCG regiment, now almost no one does it and that's kind of a big warning to me.

I had thought of Hypnosis, part of me doesn't believe me and the other part doesn't want to drive to the Metroplex to do it.

I have considered doing juicing again, I have also heard about the Paelo diet (sp?).

Any tips. ideas, thoughts, or encourage is desperately appreciated.
[/quote]

did you try the southbeach diet? it worked really well for me before. what makes it a great diet is that it is more of a change of lifestyle versus just a change in food. i highly recommend picking up the book for it. the first two weeks are tough because it is designed to basically break the habits of shitty food, and then you reintroduce certain things after the two weeks

[quote name='Stuie' timestamp='1345089270' post='554194']
Any tips. ideas, thoughts, or encourage is desperately appreciated.
[/quote]
Hey Mr. Stuart, I'm asking with the utmost sincerity (and so far removed from condescension), but what about exericse?

Go walk, run, chop down trees, etc?

I'll be honest, my diet has been horrible lately...but, I stay in somewhat decent form because of my weightlifting. Is an exercise routine not an option for you?

edit: You may have mentioned it in previous posts, but I didn't read back at all.

South Beach was a bust for me.

Exercise is a possible but I work till 5 hang with my kids till 8, work then till 2 or so on side projects trying to pay down my debt. No time for exercise really.

I actually went and talked with a bariatric surgeon today. Talking with a counselor. I am what he called a text book "food addict" my problem is even with exercise my mind always connects what i am doing to eating to help make things go by smoother, eat when stressed, eat when bored.

Going to a Support Group for Bariatric patients tomorrow to talk to others and see what it's all about.

I had the surgery almost 10 years ago. I weighed 600+ lbs and was falling apart. Since then I am down to 325 and have maintained that for a few years now. My sister had her surgery around the same time. She was over 300 lbs and is in the 140's now. Its not for everyone but it sure was for me. The first three months are hell getting used to how to eat again but once you get the hang of it, it becomes second nature. I eat little bits but still what I want for the most part. There is an upside as well. We went out for our Anniversary and had the ribeye dinner. Ate half at the restaurant and was able to enjoy the other half the next day. Full and satisfied both times. Just my experience.
Ray

[quote name='Venger' timestamp='1347285489' post='556092']
I had the surgery almost 10 years ago. I weighed 600+ lbs and was falling apart. Since then I am down to 325 and have maintained that for a few years now. My sister had her surgery around the same time. She was over 300 lbs and is in the 140's now. Its not for everyone but it sure was for me. The first three months are hell getting used to how to eat again but once you get the hang of it, it becomes second nature. I eat little bits but still what I want for the most part. There is an upside as well. We went out for our Anniversary and had the ribeye dinner. Ate half at the restaurant and was able to enjoy the other half the next day. Full and satisfied both times. Just my experience.
Ray
[/quote]

I am pretty sure right now. Surgery is not for me. But Ray I may have some questions for you.

Any time Stuie. Pm me for my phone number when your ready to ask. My record so far is 2 for 1 against. I don't judge or push one way or the other. I will answer any question as honestly as possible to the best of my knowledge based on my own personal experience. I never pull the punches or down play the bads or upsell the goods.
Ray

I am starting HCG again. With no baby on the horizon, my son actually sleeping I may be able to keep my healthy habits instead of reverting to survival mode from sleep deprivation. This time I won't Cheat on my stabilization phase (my last one coincided with my son's birth. Going to get weight off and keep it off this time.

[quote name='Stuie' timestamp='1347860296' post='556521']
I am starting HCG again. With no baby on the horizon, my son actually sleeping I may be able to keep my healthy habits instead of reverting to survival mode from sleep deprivation. This time I won't Cheat on my stabilization phase (my last one coincided with my son's birth. Going to get weight off and keep it off this time.
[/quote]

My best suggestion, since food addiction is emotional/mental as well, is to find an emotional/mental reason to stick with something. For example: I'm back vegetarian heading towards vegan. My life is hectic enough that the burger drive-thru is always calling me instead of having time to cook a healthy veggie meal. The way I keep it under control and stay out of the drive-thru is to watch the videos. Clandestine videos taken in factory farms and slaughter houses. Any time I feel myself weakening, a quick look at one of these videos will have me in tears and heading straight for a salad bar. Find what works for you emotionally and keep it handy. If the emotional and mental aspect of addiction (and studies show all forms of addiction are usually more rooted in both), then that's where you should tackling it.

'Rani

It was pointed out to me that a lot of people that struggle with weight grew up latch key kids. That was me. Elementry walked to College campus and hung out in Teacher's lounge waiting for my mom, eating snacks in the lounge. Juinior high walking home, eating until my parent's got home. Seems that latch key kids connect the feeling of lonliness with the need to eat. Which i guess explains my extreme weight gain once I moved away from home, new cities, new places, no friends.

• 2 weeks later...
I tried Veg too. Couldn't get enough protein for my size (600+) since my by-pass I have reduced the amount of meat I eat but was told I should not give it up altogether because my body doesn't absorb nutrients like it used to.
Ray

The problem I have with Vegetarianism is the sources of protien.

Eggs - can't eat unless baked into something. Stomach can't handle it.
Beans - can't eat unless cooked into something. Stomach can't handle it.
Soy - So genetically modified it's sterilizing all the vegetarians out there.
Nuts - Seriously have you seen the price of nuts, lately???
Quinoa - I like it a lot, but that texture get's old fast for me.
Protein Supplements - See this isn't even really food, I guess if you make protein shakes.
Tempah and Meat substitues - It's all derived from soy beans, see above.

I mean if you can do it great, but it's just not for me.

My body is a protein type I need it and a lot of it. Carbs and sugars really mess with my body, and are a direct result to my wieght. I know that now.

My wife is a huge fan of this Dr. Mercola and he makes a lot of sense. Great studies and insight into health, I just don't buy his products, I am too poor.
[url="http://products.mercola.com/nutritional-typing/"]http://products.merc...itional-typing/[/url]
There is no, 1 diet that everyone can do to maintain a healthy body. That's why a lot of people do different things and get great results.

[quote name='Stuie' timestamp='1349986529' post='558311']
The problem I have with Vegetarianism is the sources of protien.

Eggs - can't eat unless baked into something. Stomach can't handle it.
Beans - can't eat unless cooked into something. Stomach can't handle it.
Soy - So genetically modified it's sterilizing all the vegetarians out there.
Nuts - Seriously have you seen the price of nuts, lately???
Quinoa - I like it a lot, but that texture get's old fast for me.
Protein Supplements - See this isn't even really food, I guess if you make protein shakes.
Tempah and Meat substitues - It's all derived from soy beans, see above.

I mean if you can do it great, but it's just not for me.

My body is a protein type I need it and a lot of it. Carbs and sugars really mess with my body, and are a direct result to my wieght. I know that now.

My wife is a huge fan of this Dr. Mercola and he makes a lot of sense. Great studies and insight into health, I just don't buy his products, I am too poor.
[url="http://products.mercola.com/nutritional-typing/"]http://products.merc...itional-typing/[/url]
There is no, 1 diet that everyone can do to maintain a healthy body. That's why a lot of people do different things and get great results.
[/quote]
have you thought of Jucing? or replacing a meal with a liquid one?

Actually yes, once I am off this portion of the diet, I will juice some. Bought a great juicer when I tried to do a juicing fast. I will do some protien shakes as well. Wife does them all the time.

• 2 weeks later...
Took my last HCG shot yesterday. Got tomorrow of 500 calories to make sure the HCG is out of my system and start my 3 weeks of maintenance of no sugar no starch.

Total Loss: 46.2 LBS!!!!!

I am pretty sure now that after this round of HCG I am sticking with the Paleo Diet between rounds and for the rest of my life.

• 1 month later...
I stopped reading the responses to this thread after I read numerous times "5-6 meals a day". Nutrient timing is irrelevant, google Intermittent Fasting and try that. It isn't a diet, it's more of an eating protocol but it sounds like it would fit nicely into your busy schedule. There's no scientific evidence that it works, but more aneacdotal evidence. It didn't work for me but it worked wonders for my friends.

Have you worked out your maintanence calories? What is the extent of the calorie deficit you are trying to achieve? I'd go for around a 500 cal deficit and tweak from there. If you find that you are still hungry, eat some more food and go for a run.

With the kettlebell it doesn't really give you an extensive workout routine. However, look for full body workouts and focus on body weight exercises like dips, pull ups etc.

Also, (i dont know if im allowed to do this) but check out body building dot com and check out the fat loss section. If I was unclear on anything, just ask and I'll attempt to clarify.

All the best (Y)

[quote name='Stuie' timestamp='1351312612' post='559407']
I am pretty sure now that after this round of HCG I am sticking with the Paleo Diet between rounds and for the rest of my life.
[/quote]

Yesterday I watched Dr. Oz, something I rarely have a chance to do. But in this case I specifically made the effort because in the previews, he said that everything previously believed about cholesterol was WRONG. Yeah, Dr. Oz, the "eat no fat, be mostly vegan" cardiac surgeon. Same guy who wants us to give up lip gloss because it's bad for us......... So anyway, he had these two guys on (don't remember their names - there will probably be information on his show website) but they have come out with documented and supported studies that the Paleo lifestyle isn't only the very best thing for your weight and your heart, but can add years to your life. The study completely and totally supported getting all grains, soy and refined sugars out of our food - forever. So what did I to? Despite having some moral issues about eating meat, I've decided to down on the side of living longer and feeling better, so I ordered a new grill. Since I have Amazon Prime, it will arrive by Friday, so Saturday morning, officially back to Paleo. I have to admit when I did it for a year before, I felt absolutely amazing. So I'm back on the Paleo bandwagon. There will be steak and a ton of grilled veggies for dinner Friday night.

'Rani