Weight Loss

Stuie

Have maintained the initial 55-60 lb loss for a couple months. Now I'm amping up for the next 40-50 lbs. GONNA DO THAT SHIT WOO YEAH!

Mission: Beastmode Summer 2012 is still on track.

Some tips I have gotten about weight loss and keeping it managed is:

- drink a lot of water and water substances like tea (cut out sodas, coffee and sugaring them with artificial sweeteners like sweet n low - they are worse for you than real sugar or honey)
- Eat smaller meals more frequently or small snacks through out the day instead of giant meals. It keeps your metabolism up and burning where as skipping meals slows it down.
- if you rather eat meals eat a larger break fast and a small dinner.
- Cardio work outs to help blood circulation and to build lean muscle.
- some weight work outs to help with bone density.

[quote name='Satou' timestamp='1315516506' post='523075']

- drink a lot of water and water substances like tea (cut out sodas, coffee and sugaring them with artificial sweeteners like sweet n low - they are worse for you than real sugar or honey)
- Eat smaller meals more frequently or small snacks through out the day instead of giant meals. It keeps your metabolism up and burning where as skipping meals slows it down.
[/quote]
Cardio...depending on your definition of it but when I think cardio, it is a work out that keeps your heart rate at a more steady rate. That's one of the worst things for losing weight as well as your heart health. Circuit training/burst training/interval training is what you really want to lose weight and maintain cardiac health. Doing so increasing your metabolism throughout the day as well. It also boosts testosterone to aid in muscle toning or growth (depending on the type you are doing and the amount of weights you are doing).

As far as bone density goes...yeah, that's part of the equation (wolff's law), but the other part of it is protein digestion, especially in females. Through my education and certification courses, we've see more protein deficiencies in females than males. We don't know why, but that's why many females need to be on proteases/enzymes that break down and aid your body in digesting proteins. :)

• 2 weeks later...
When I diet I do the following:

Low carb Sun-Thurs pretty much like you would do atkins

Friday and the first half of Saturday I will do a Carb load to reset hormone levels and then go back to low carb Sunday night. Note this means good carbs not eating a bunch of shit.

This then works in conjunction with lifting 3 times a week and two mornings of cardio. I usually lift m/w/f and cardio t/t mornings before I eat anything. The lifting is strength building so its like sets of six I stick to pushing and pulling upper body switching off every day. You wont build muscle since your dieting the idea is your maintaining what you already have so you don't loose it all dieting. The cardio must be done in the mornings to maximize fat loss... I did like a hour on an olyptical.

This all works in conjunction with Bronkaid and caffeine pills. Bronkiad is a over the counter asthma pill that is pretty cheap and contains Ephedrine, mixed with caffien pills has fat burning and hunger suppressant capabilities. I took 1 pill each three times a day a half hour before each meal. If it was a lifting day I would skip before the nearest meal to my lift and take them a half hour before the lift for energy.

I did this for like a month and half once a year... its kinda just a nutshell so feel free to message with questions.

Who made this plan for me? My nutrition nut roommate who happens to write his own blog:

http://buildingaleanbody.com/

Alot of it is lifting but there dieting and more to be found as well.

As busy as you are you have to put some time into it to get results. Dieting and lifting go hand in hand.

[quote name='followthereaper' timestamp='1316814454' post='524950']

Friday and the first half of Saturday I will do a Carb load to reset hormone levels and then go back to low carb Sunday night. Note this means good carbs not eating a bunch of shit.

This then works in conjunction with lifting 3 times a week and two mornings of cardio. I usually lift m/w/f and cardio t/t mornings before I eat anything. The lifting is strength building so its like sets of six I stick to pushing and pulling upper body switching off every day. You wont build muscle since your dieting the idea is your maintaining what you already have so you don't loose it all dieting. The cardio must be done in the mornings to maximize fat loss... I did like a hour on an olyptical.

This all works in conjunction with Bronkaid and caffeine pills. Bronkiad is a over the counter asthma pill that is pretty cheap and contains Ephedrine, mixed with caffien pills has fat burning and hunger suppressant capabilities. I took 1 pill each three times a day a half hour before each meal. If it was a lifting day I would skip before the nearest meal to my lift and take them a half hour before the lift for energy.

I did this for like a month and half once a year... its kinda just a nutshell so feel free to message with questions.

Who made this plan for me? My nutrition nut roommate who happens to write his own blog:

[url="http://buildingaleanbody.com/"]http://buildingaleanbody.com/[/url]

As busy as you are you have to put some time into it to get results. Dieting and lifting go hand in hand.
[/quote]
Sounds like the Anabolic diet.

• 5 months later...
So slighlty inspired by "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" I have decided to do a 30 day juice fast.

I have read a lot of juicing material and it comes down to this for me: Juice Fruits and Veggies amount is up to you, and exercise some everyday

I am up a ton after the baby, no sleep and stress at work that gave me 2 ulcers. I fell back into comfort eating again.

Day 1: 338.6 lbs; BMI of 48.58

Breakfast: 8 Oz of Juice (Juiced 3 carrots, 4 Granny Smiths and 4 Celery stalks)

Lunch: Gonna Have the same as Breakfast.

Excercise I am not sure today I have to help coach some Upward basketball. Guess walking or Kettlebells. probably the later since it will be dark when I finally get home.

Now the plan after this 30 day trip is to juice for breakfast and go low carb. Carbs always get me in trouble. Stock more fruits and veggies in the house.

[quote name='Stuie' timestamp='1330619504' post='541090']
So slighlty inspired by "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" I have decided to do a 30 day juice fast.

I have read a lot of juicing material and it comes down to this for me: Juice Fruits and Veggies amount is up to you, and exercise some everyday

I am up a ton after the baby, no sleep and stress at work that gave me 2 ulcers. I fell back into comfort eating again.

Day 1: 338.6 lbs; BMI of 48.58

Breakfast: 8 Oz of Juice (Juiced 3 carrots, 4 Granny Smiths and 4 Celery stalks)

Lunch: Gonna Have the same as Breakfast.

Excercise I am not sure today I have to help coach some Upward basketball. Guess walking or Kettlebells. probably the later since it will be dark when I finally get home.

Now the plan after this 30 day trip is to juice for breakfast and go low carb. Carbs always get me in trouble. Stock more fruits and veggies in the house.
[/quote]
Have you ever looked into Green Smoothies? I have the movie you mentioned in my instant queue on Netflix but from the things I've read and researched, I think you would be better off blending your fruits, veggies, and greens. I try to drink at least 36oz of green smoothie a day. Feel better than I've felt in a long long time. Headaches are gone, I'm happy again, energized, and motivated to get my ass back in shape since starting.

Green Smoothie seems very similar. Just blending fruits and vegs with water.

Juicing has been around for a long time. Regarded has Highly expensive todo. Got a good Quality Juicer, and have been doing a lot of sale hunting on fruits and veggies, still comes out about half the price of HCG which I have done in the past.

Day 2: 335.4 lbs; BMI of 48.12

Yesterday was extremely hard. Battle of self control and wills. Almost gave up. Stuck through it though. Played some basketball last night and between that and no solid food or caffiene, my back is KILLING ME!!!!

Pretty tired, but I think I will be alright today. Still pretty hungry ATM.

[quote name='Stuie' timestamp='1330706896' post='541165']
Green Smoothie seems very similar. Just blending fruits and vegs with water.

Juicing has been around for a long time. Regarded has Highly expensive todo. Got a good Quality Juicer, and have been doing a lot of sale hunting on fruits and veggies, still comes out about half the price of HCG which I have done in the past.

Day 2: 335.4 lbs; BMI of 48.12

Yesterday was extremely hard. Battle of self control and wills. Almost gave up. Stuck through it though. Played some basketball last night and between that and no solid food or caffiene, my back is KILLING ME!!!!

Pretty tired, but I think I will be alright today. Still pretty hungry ATM.
[/quote]
Good to hear you sticking to it. As for the green smoothies, I did a lot of research into seeing which would provide the most benefits. Seeing as you throw away so much stuff to just have 1 cup of juice was a turn off to me. Then to look and see that blending (with a high end blender) breaks down the cellulose walls which can only be broken down mechanically (chewing or blending) to get more nutrients seemed to be much better than juicing. Plus, I like that since I was blending it, I wouldn't be throwing away anything and I would get a lot more out of it.

I've seen things about juicing saying it spikes your blood sugar levels and without the fiber (since you throw it out) it's not as stable as blending it. Where when you blend it, you get steady blood sugar levels.

But hey, at least you are taking control of your health. Anything to keep you off of processed food is a major plus. My refridgerator is filled with only fruits and veggies right now. The only processed stuff, if you could even consider is processed, is store bought salsa and condiments (which we rarely use now...only when friends come over to BBQ).

It seems you are active too which is great!! Have you looked into high intensity interval training? I've found this to be the best way to burn fat and increase muscle mass.

Good luck man! :)

Day 4: GOT THE F@(*# FLU!!!!!!!!!!!!

SIck as a dog, can't keep much down. Have to start up again in a few days or maybe even a week until I feel good again.

[quote name='Stuie' timestamp='1331079345' post='541583']

SIck as a dog, can't keep much down. Have to start up again in a few days or maybe even a week until I feel good again.
[/quote]
Are you sure it's not you just detoxing? They can be very similar symptoms.

I just got done watching "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead", definitely inspirational. What's funny is, the other day (before I watched it), I told my wife when her friend leaves next week, that we should do a 10 day green smoothie kick. Then I saw this movie and it really made me want to start it up.

Hope you start feeling better soon!

Don't really know how one would contribute to this thread, but I've lost a lot of weight and gained some muscle weight/tone by eating once daily, and working out daily. Sounds like any other routine, I know, but it works. One high-protein meal with plenty of water along with exercise. Never eat fast-food or drink soda. I only drink Vitamin Water, Sobe, protein shakes and various juices. As far as my meals, typically something Japanese; yakisoba, ramen, gyoza (pot stickers), chicken, etc.

Today I'm starting a 10 day green smoothie fast. Kind of scared bc I love food...I love to just munch on stuff all day so this will be a test to my will power.

Started with this green smoothie this morning:
1-1 1/2 cups of cantaloupe
5 slices of cucumber
1 celery stick
2 kiwi
half handful of watercress
huge handful of spinach
3/4 cup of frozen mango
Organic honey
Pinch of Cardamom (spice - helps with detox and digestion)
Heaping tsp of Organic unsweetened cocoa powder (antioxidant rich)
Splash of apple cider vinegar (stomach healing)

[quote name='DrSmokes' timestamp='1316833734' post='524970']
[quote name='followthereaper' timestamp='1316814454' post='524950']

[url="http://buildingaleanbody.com/"]http://buildingaleanbody.com/[/url]

[/quote]
Sounds like the Anabolic diet.
[/quote]

Sounds a lot like Keto (food part) - which I just started last week. So far, so good. Those first 3 days though was pure pain

[quote name='DrSmokes' timestamp='1315531670' post='523104']

[/quote]
Cardio...depending on your definition of it but when I think cardio, it is a work out that keeps your heart rate at a more steady rate. That's one of the worst things for losing weight as well as your heart health. Circuit training/burst training/interval training is what you really want to lose weight and maintain cardiac health. Doing so increasing your metabolism throughout the day as well. It also boosts testosterone to aid in muscle toning or growth (depending on the type you are doing and the amount of weights you are doing).

As far as bone density goes...yeah, that's part of the equation (wolff's law), but the other part of it is protein digestion, especially in females. Through my education and certification courses, we've see more protein deficiencies in females than males. We don't know why, but that's why many females need to be on proteases/enzymes that break down and aid your body in digesting proteins. :)
[/quote]Did you just say that cardio workouts i.e. jogging/running are bad for your heart? Uhhhhhhhhh.... :huh:

Can you elaborate?

[quote name='DrSmokes' timestamp='1331148142' post='541665']
[quote name='Stuie' timestamp='1331079345' post='541583']

[/quote]
Are you sure it's not you just detoxing? They can be very similar symptoms.

I just got done watching "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead", definitely inspirational. What's funny is, the other day (before I watched it), I told my wife when her friend leaves next week, that we should do a 10 day green smoothie kick. Then I saw this movie and it really made me want to start it up.

Hope you start feeling better soon!
[/quote]

I thought that too, but I tested positive for the flu... medicine to cure the flu, worse than the flu... Got family in this weekend so I will give it a go next week.

• 3 weeks later...
Planning on doing Couch to 5k... anyone here had any experience with it? I realized recently that I've put on a good 15lb in college and want to shoo that weight away as well as avoid the "comfortably in a relationship" weight that I tend to put on...
Also doing a food/exercise diary on my smartphone (which I have done before). Helps keep me from eating awful things because I hate logging them.

[quote name='jorlyfish' timestamp='1333508570' post='544006']
Planning on doing Couch to 5k... anyone here had any experience with it? I realized recently that I've put on a good 15lb in college and want to shoo that weight away as well as avoid the "comfortably in a relationship" weight that I tend to put on...
Also doing a food/exercise diary on my smartphone (which I have done before). Helps keep me from eating awful things because I hate logging them.
[/quote]

I have friends that have done it, and, if you stick with it, it's very effective.

In my own world I finally have some progress again. In the gym 5 days a week, renewed my fire, and 82lbs down. Unfortunately I changed my long term goal, so 45 instead of 35 to go. For those new to the game consistency, persistence, effort, and PATIENCE are the keys to the game. Especially the patience....fuck the patience. I hate the patience lol.

I've lost a lot of weight in the last couple of months after back surgery. I never stopped eating fast foods, in fact I still eat out 4-5 times a week. I don't live in the gym, I don't even have a gym membership since I moved to Kentucky in Jan. You know what makes you lose weight? Portion control and doing little things. Yes, I eat chicken fingers and french fries, but I don't large size it and I usually only eat about 30% of the fries (never really liked them). I eat hot wings A LOT, but you know what? Non-breaded wings still taste good. Small simple changes can make a big difference -- I did work out rather hard the first three months of my weight loss but after that I did small things like parking in the furthest away spot when I go somewhere, when I play games, if I die I do x amount of pushups and crunches. When I wake up I drink 4 glasses of water, before bed I drink 4 glasses of water, and yes I pee a lot. Since I went to the hospital 6 times in the last month for thyroid issues I had them run some blood work to compare to what it was back in September. Guess what? My body fat % has dropped 24% and I'm now at a 29%, my triglycerides are better than most people who think they're healthier because they're skinnier, my blood has all the essential vitamins and minerals in perfect supply (multi-vitamin, do it) and my back actually looks better on x-ray because there's less pressure pulling it down all the time from the weight.

Losing weight is not complicated, but it's not an over-night thing. You will not have your dream body in 90 days and if you think you will, you might want to make sure you're smoking hookah. Just be persistant, if life happens let it happen, don't fall off the wagon but don't beat yourself up over it. Think about weight loss in terms of pant sizes and weeks instead of pounds and days. That is one thing I learned when I started my journal.

[quote name='Arcane' timestamp='1331687730' post='542436']
[quote name='DrSmokes' timestamp='1315531670' post='523104']

[/quote]

[/quote]Did you just say that cardio workouts i.e. jogging/running are bad for your heart? Uhhhhhhhhh.... :huh:

Can you elaborate?
[/quote]
I can't quite find an article via google that stated what I had read. I'll have to look through pubmed again later...it's so hard to find articles if you don't know the exact title and can take me hours to try to find it again.

Essentially, there are 2 factors behind it. If you run at a steady pace, like people like to do (staying in the aerobic rate to burn fat), it creates a "ceiling" on your heart rate and your body learns that it mustn't go higher than that. When you do, it adds extra stress to the heart.

The other being, if you are running at a constant rate (right below anaerobic or in anaerobic state), your body (through evolution) has learned that if you are running, you are running away from something bad (e.g. tiger? lol), so it will start releasing cortisol and adds extra stress to your adrenal and thyroid glands. This in turn, begins to create a hypothyroid state in the body and your body will then rely on you to continue to run to burn its calories, rather than letting the metabolism take care of it. The article I had read also stated that due to the increase in stress hormones will lead to a decrease in immunity.

That's the basis of the articles I had read. I'm sure I'm missing more points that they had found and stated. This is why HIIT works best for the heart as well as the rest of the body. There was a recent study done on interval running (I believe they tested a group of couch potatoes and had them sprint for 30 sec and then walk for a min and to just do as much as they can...most only could do 1 interval at the start), and the study had found an increase in testosterone and hGH (by A LOT) which helps the body to increase it's metabolism, burn fat, and if you lift weights after, better muscle growth will occur. I believe that study was done on something called "Sprint 8" if you want to look it up. If there are no studies tied to it, let me know and I think I still have an email from my supplement supplier about it that may have more information.

[quote name='Tyler' timestamp='1333553802' post='544029']
(multi-vitamin, do it)
[/quote]
[img]http://www.imagesnatcher.com/img/35110cc7e4818216/0e61d1.png[/img]

^ That is what happens with most multi's on the market that you can get from your supplement stores, walgreens, and walmart. A GOOD multi-vitamin is great to take, just be sure it can dissolve in water before you take it though...the longer it takes to dissolve, the longer it takes your body to break it down and absorb it. It's also a good idea to find someone that is good with digestion, such as a certified Internal Health Specialist, to help make sure you have all the factors in "digestion":
Diet
Digestion
Absorption
Bowel Elimination
And endocrine function

If one of these is off, your body won't get all the nutrients it can get.

[quote name='Tyler' timestamp='1333553802' post='544029']
Losing weight is not complicated, but it's not an over-night thing. You will not have your dream body in 90 days and if you think you will, you might want to make sure you're smoking hookah.
[/quote]

I loled. Congrats on your progress Tyler.

Evan, glad to hear you're getting back full-force.

Suppose I'll update, been a while now. My body decided to plateau weight-wise at 245-250. Apart from the fat I still have to shed I'm in the best shape of my life. I can see a six pack underneath the remnants of my gut and cuts on my hips starting, etc. etc. It's a bit frustrating but I remind myself it took years to get so out of shape and overweight and it's only been a year since my decision to reclaim my life and health.

Still vegetarian and loving it. Metabolism has jumped quite a bit. Work out regularly, not as much at the gym as I was for a while but I'm making another push right now. I've learned to pay much closer attention to my body so I took last week off and now getting back to it I have the energy to commit and really boost into the next level.

I should probably commit to a more regular supplement and protein routine but I'm doing well enough right now and my life has been full of change and relative chaos so I'm cutting myself some slack til I get moved and settled on my own.

I look like a totally different person, loving it. Attention from women I once thought were way out of my league feels pretty damn nice too. Mostly it's feeling at home in my own body that's so awesome, and my reflexes are way boosted too. I feel like a ninja. A [i]real [/i]ninja , not the internet Giant Robot variety :)

Keep it up y'all!
  • Upvote 1