Weight Loss

Stuie

Nice job man, you look great!

I was around 340 July 09 I've been dieting and exercising on and off since.. I am down to 290 now. I joined a Gym about 3 weeks ago and slowly working into some serious calorie cutting and hope for some change. I would like to get down to 220 by the end of the summer..

I am going to ask my doctor about the injections you did, sounds something worth looking into! Edited by newjacksm

• 5 weeks later...
I'm down 50 pounds now. My frame is quite slimmer, my face looks more like me again :) I started into weight lifting about 2 months ago so I'm not too worried about poundage since I'm replacing the fat with muscle.

I've decided to become a runner. It's gonna be a fun journey to take. Gotta drop some more weight first because I've had weight related foot problems for almost 2 years now and I have no interest in exacerbating them.

So now at 6'4" and 270 I have about 30 lbs til I hit my initial goal. I'm not oo concerned about lbs like I said but man will it be nice to get there. I'm more focused on my body in the mirror. It feels nice to see manly definition. I feel less like a chubby boy, more like a superhero. Watch out world, I ain't stoppin' now.

im generally kind shy about my weight loss goals, but what the hell.

As of yesterday I am 50% to my first long term goal (aka the reassessment goal). Thats 50 pounds down, 50 to go...then we will see what i look like at that point. My guess is maybe another 15-20 after that, but we will see. It feels good to finally do it correctly and have a program, a passion, and a knowledge that i can use for the rest of my life. brb, gettin swole.

RIGHT ON! I feel the same way man, feels great to finally do it right in a sustainable way. CONGRATS. Off to get swole myself, peace.

• 1 month later...
I'm a little late to the party, but congrats on the weight loss man! Awesome results!

I used to be 340lbs, 6'1. In about 1 year, I dropped 100lbs just by changing my diet. I used to drink pop frequently, and eat wendy's like 4x a week. I still ate at wendy's but went for chicken strips instead of burgers, diet pop instead of regular, and salad instead of fries. I cut out all chips & snacks, all chocolate & desserts. I haven't had fries or chocolate in 4 or 5 years now. Had 3 meals a day and cut back on portions a bit too. Worked for me, got me down to 240lbs in a year, but then I plateau'd. I was happy enough there for a little while.

Then after a while I started to want to lose more. My goal was 190lbs. I changed my diet further, switching from 2% milk to skim, switching from white bread to whole wheat, had more fiber, started eating more fruits & veggies. Would eat 4-5 times a day. I had moved out from my parent's place at this point so it was easier to just not buy unhealthy food. I went through a modified version of P90X (My legs were already muscular so I decreased the leg workouts and increased upper body), but I ate healthy enough and didn't have to follow their specific diet plan. This brought me from 240 to 210 in 3 months. It was essentially an hour a day, 6 days a week of exercise. After that was said & done, I took up sword fighting for a semester, and then joined in for kickboxing and kung-fu with the same group twice a week, which was 3 hours on Tuesdays and Thursdays. This got me down to 200lbs, and I felt fantastic.

Then last year I dislocated my kneecap. in kung-fu. This put me completely out of commission from the start of May until the start of September essentially, but when I was ready to go back to kickboxing in August, I got put on overnights at work until the end of October. By the time I could go back, I was up to 210lbs and had lost a considerable amount of muscle mass. Then I met my girlfriend and we ended up eating out a lot, and I started straying from my health plan I had followed religiously up until this point. Due to some complications in planning I ended up stopping kickboxing due to lack of time at the end of April. I haven't been active since, and my eating habits have sort of gotten out of control again, and I am back up to 220-225lbs now. Something I need to seriously re-evaluate and get back in check now.

At this point it is very difficult though. I am back living with my parents and have no room to workout in the house since I am looking at moving out, I have boxes everywhere. And I work 8 hours a day, and in the evening I can't commit to any physical activities because I end up spending my nights hunting for apartments. So for now I need to be happy with just changing my diet plan, and then once I am done moving I can start back up some form of physical activity.

Getting discouraged. Still getting slimmer, still losing weight, I just wish I was there already. Generally I'm good doing this slow and right for the rest of my life but atm it's getting tough. When is this time travel thing operational? Anyone know?

Jumped back up, Lot of travel the past couple weeks, and the stress...dear god the stress....

• 1 month later...
[quote name='Venger' timestamp='1313533535' post='520099']
Stuie,
I have a friend starting this Thur. Any advice?
Ray
[/quote]

On HCG Smoke at night it helps the cravings.

Crystal Light and Diet Dr Pepper. Saved me on HCG

i lied. so yesterday I moved a new mattress up to my room, it took 10 minutes, the thing had to weigh over 300 pounds, I was wheezing like an asthmatic sprinter. Today, magically, down 3 pounds. That is a fun, and very atypical, 5 pounds this week. 65 down, 52 to go...

Honestly, p90x is great. you can pick it up on CL pretty cheap from the folks who dont have the motivaiton to do it. takes about an hour a day to do. It's a great workout, and definetly does what it is designed to do. I use it, And think it's a pretty damned good program.

[quote name='Stuie' timestamp='1313554961' post='520138']
[quote name='Venger' timestamp='1313533535' post='520099']
Stuie,
I have a friend starting this Thur. Any advice?
Ray
[/quote]

On HCG Smoke at night it helps the cravings.

Crystal Light and Diet Dr Pepper. Saved me on HCG
[/quote]

I don't know how valid the studies are but some have shown that diet soda is actually linked to an increase in waist size.
[url="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/29/diet-soda-weight-gain_n_886409.html"]http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/29/diet-soda-weight-gain_n_886409.html[/url]
  • Upvote 1

I lost 100lbs doing the HCG diet. Two small meals with two fruit snacks a day. No sugar. No wheat. No starch. It was a bit hardcore but I was sick of weighing 260 at the age of 20. Good luck dude! Its worth the hard work. Edited by Gleemen

• 3 weeks later...
HCG has got to be one of the worst things for you. It's anorexia with indigestible hormones. Just say that a few times and let that sink in. Does that sound like it's right or healthy? Not to mention that any studies that have been done on HCG and have shown good results are only the ones that were injection HCG. The oral HCG is something around 0.00001% of the HCG hormone. Not to mention we don't even know what happens to this hormone when it is ingested as hormones act in the blood stream. And for a guy to be taking a female hormone that is produced during pregnancy....AHHH!!! Doesn't sound right what so ever. Do the research before trying things like this...you may lose weight but definitely not bc of the HCG.

As for diet soda and crystal lite...stay far far away. The one user is right when it comes to weight gain on their diet products. The signals get to your brain as if it is real sugar, then when the body tries to digest the "sugar", it can't find it, so it tells your brain to crave sugar (or carbs, same thing in the end), so you begin to crave high carb foods so your body's increased insulin levels can utilize them like they were meant to be used.

I only read page 1 and page 15, so sorry if there is a bit ignorance in this post.

I only followed the food part of the HCG diet after 3 weeks because I became convinced that the it was all in my head. Still works without the drops. Just take supplements to stay healthy through the diet.

Late to the party. Congrats on all your hard work Stuie (and everyone else).

I'm 5'10" and 269 (yep, big girl LOL). I was 300 and decided NFW am I going to put up with that. Started Atkins and in 6 mos lost 50 lbs. Things happened (as they do) and I went back up to 280. By n By, I joined a gym and started doing workout classes (if you've ever seen the ads for Total Gym with Chuck Norris, it's the same thing but more). I also started belly dance classes. Work changed and now I'm down from 2x workout class to 1x per week. Dance is 1-2 classes (back to back) per week. I've also added in yoga 1-2x a week. I need to add in lots more cardio, like walking from the train to the office and set up that treadmill I have that's still in its box.

There was an earlier post about "Fat but Fit" (paraphrasing). I can attest to that. I was pre-diabetic, borderline high cholesterol, yada yada yada. 2 years after I started the workout and dance classes (only lost about 10 lbs), my numbers were better than they were when I was much closer to my "goal weight". My doc is always telling me to loose weight, but she eased up a little when my numbers were so good.

I do do the wrong stuff. I drink diet soda (grew up on Tab, my mom's a diet freak) and a beer every night when I work in NYC (see my post on Beer Snob).

I love green tea and need to start brewing that (I brew it with stevia to make sweet tea, real stevia leaves, not Truvia or the others).

[quote name='Hellz' timestamp='1313598578' post='520179']
Honestly, p90x is great. you can pick it up on CL pretty cheap from the folks who dont have the motivaiton to do it. takes about an hour a day to do. It's a great workout, and definetly does what it is designed to do. I use it, And think it's a pretty damned good program.
[/quote]
so it actually dose work? me and my wife planning on starting p90x this winter she is a little more sceptical about it working

[quote name='ezxen' timestamp='1315427261' post='522931']
[quote name='Hellz' timestamp='1313598578' post='520179']
[/quote]
so it actually dose work? me and my wife planning on starting p90x this winter she is a little more sceptical about it working
[/quote]
It's a GREAT work out! Also check out Insanity!! I've tried both...was able to go through both phases in Insanity and then went to P90X...when I first did P90X back before Insanity I thought the Plyometric day was hard; after finishing Insanity, I was pushing as hard as I could and thought it was much easier than Insanity!!!! Either set of videos is great for "at home" work outs! I recommend Insanity bc you don't need any equipment what so ever.

And eating right on both of them is key. For P90X, doing the Yoga video is also key to getting better, faster results...but most people don't want to do that video bc it's the longest.

What DrSmokes says. Weight loss is 75% in the kitchen, so to speak. P90X is a fantastic workout, however the BS theory they try to sell it on (muscle confusion) is completely made up. I wish they would just say WE MAKE YOU WORK REALLY HARD! and leave it at that. silly silly weight loss companies....

[quote name='Zildjian' timestamp='1315486287' post='523008']
What DrSmokes says. Weight loss is 75% in the kitchen, so to speak. P90X is a fantastic workout, however the BS theory they try to sell it on (muscle confusion) is completely made up. I wish they would just say WE MAKE YOU WORK REALLY HARD! and leave it at that. silly silly weight loss companies....
[/quote]
Not sure if it's "completely made up". I heard about it prior to P90X. In fact, I believe it was LL Cool J that was the one that brought it close to the surface with his miraculous weight loss and bulking up. Muscle has great memory, that's why things become easier as you continue to do something. Muscles recognize those motions, so when you mix up the work outs like that do, it's using the same muscles but in a different motion, causing that muscles memory to be obsolete making it have to use sheer strength to get through those motions instead of remembering how to.