Weight Loss

Stuie

I lost 50lbs 2 years ago on something called the Okinawan diet. Actually its a combination of diet and lifestyle changes. It was easy for me,having been stationed on Okinawa years ago. The diet resembles what we used to call macrobiotic back in the 60's. lots of brown rice, buckwheat noodles,green tea,small amounts of meat and lots of veggies and soups. So in six months of slurping Soba, I lost 50 pounds. The Okinawans have a word "yasashi", which jind of means chill out and be positive. thats very much part of the program. Since I had just retired, being yasashi was pretty easy.
Footnote: Back in January, I ordered from Netflix the complete collection of "the Sopranos" and spent a month eating "sunday gravy" and baked ziti with Tony and Carmela and regained 30 pounds which I am trying to shed again. I love food, spicy and ethnic and found the Okinawan diet got a bit boring, I longed for Thai, Indian, Middle Eastern and Italian. But I can feel those thirty pounds and they have to go.

Well guys just a small update, I started the Visalus program a month ago, but didn't have time to do it with finishing up school. So far in a week I've dropped 6lbs (i'm not a big guy either)

It motivates me seeing some people I know losing so much weight with the program. In less than two months Joni (my friend) has lost 31 lbs and 2 dress sizes. Which doesn't mean a whole lot but it's much harder for an older woman to lose weight so it's gonna be cake for me (not literally lol)

Using it has cut my late night eatings down to Zero which is one of the main things I felt contributed to my weight gain. I'll keep everyone posted!

Stuie,
Good on you for making the commitment to drop the pounds.
It's hard work.
It's not a diet or a cure all or anything, but something that works for me every time I try it...
(I unfortunately am one of those who gets where I want to be then blows it all, then turns around and has to play catch up)

is simply to work out every day.
It doesn't have to be extremely difficult or anything, but it had better be almost like a religion.
Take a walk, take a jog, etc etc. and then be mindful of what you eat. Eat what you want, but everything comes with a price. Read the label and consider if you really want to do that to yourself. Sometimes the answer is yes, sometimes no.
Dr Pepper? love the stuff-but once you start working out harder and harder your body will actually start to loathe the unhealthy choices in your diet. I'm not kidding.
While in one of the schools leading up to my job I lost 36 lbs in 4 weeks, all from PT (I was eating like a horse, so diet wasn't it....) but more importantly noticed that I started craving only the healthier things (bananas, etc) and that even the smell of the greasy breakfast biscuits I formerly preferred would make me sick...
Most people don't have 10 hours a day to work out, not me for sure...but doing anything at all that is an intentional workout daily is a huge step.

Mostly though, just do SOMETHING every day, drink your water, pay attention to your diet and you're already on the right track.

Time for me to jump back on the track myself. I do work out, but I've been slacking lately and it's catching up to me.

In my opinion, you should have a health diet and properly sports. Eat little food and more meals (about 4 or 5 meals a day).The food must lower carries. Sports every day about 30-60 min. Do it for several months.

• 1 month later...
Well an update.

I have decided against lap band for 3 reasons.

1) I really don't like surgery.
2) And the system seems geared to bleed your insurance dry while you visit them have to get a couple dozen test and studies done all by different doctors.
3) All these tests and studies had to be down by their list of doctors and would not accommodate me since I had to drive 2 hours just to get there, and I would used all my sick days before I was half way through the tests.

So after having family members go through this, and friends at work who have been big like me and lost tons of weight I have decided to do the HCG protocol.

Started today. 3 ways to take it and I took the most effective route... injections... damn I have to jab myself with a needle every morning. At least I don't have to hit the vein.

I am at 341.4 lbs right now. I will see how I do.

I am shooting for 250 right now. I will have to do the protocol about 3 times to make it.

I have been on Medifast. They have all options for Diabetes, Vegetarian, and I believe most are gulten free. Some have Soy in them, so if you take a thyroid pill, they suggest that you don't take it in the morning with your medicine so that it can digest properly.

Here is the quick version of it:

5 medifast meals a day
1 lean and green meal you make yourself (they have rules for it)

You'll end up eating between 900-1000 calories a day, and 10 pounds a month is about the average for the program.

Now, when I say I've "been" on medifast, that means that I was on it (lost 10 pounds in my first week), and I'm starting it again. When I visited texas, too many tempting foods for me there.

I'm not judging Stuie, but that protocol seems a little to extreme for my tastes, especially when you only eat 500 cals a day and have to shoot a needle in yourself.

pm me if you want (after you research) about Medifast...my aunt is my health coach, and she is amazing (has lost over 90 pounds, and keeping it off, her husband has lost over 70 and kept it off)

You can get a free week, and all the reading material with your first order (about $300 a month), and the longer you order with them the cheaper it gets with the VIP program.

The best thing, the health coaches don't make commission on what you buy. They get paid for how many clients they have, so there is no pressure there with them. They just make sure that you have enough food.

Kathryn, no offense, my wife and I did a lot of research on it too. My Aunt and Uncle did it and lost weight but they weren't really that fat. But I have several co workers that did it and were heavy like me and loss tons and have kept it off.

Needles yeah not my thing. But it's the most effective. First morning I woke up and I said to myself "Just do it you wuss" And I did it. It's not like I have to hit the vein just under the skin. Same needles you use for insulin. Takes a bit to get use to I imagine. 2 shots so far. Today was much easier than yesterday.

My wife is doing sublingual drops. My aunt and uncle did a Nasal Spray.

500g diet only works with HCG because it release your fat stores so you lose stored fat that is hard to get at with just dieting.

[quote name='Arcane' date='23 July 2010 - 03:48 PM' timestamp='1279918108' post='476093']
whatever happened to hard work and determination?
[/quote]

I have hit a plateau when dieting. I can't break below 330 no matter what I do, and I am currently working 2 jobs.... so time is killing me.

• 2 weeks later...
Eat less, drink more water and do more sports! The best way to keep fit is to do sports!

[URL="[url="http://www.blcrushers.com/"]http://www.blcrushers.com/[/url]"] jaw crushers[/URL]

Personal update offering a perspective on a plan just as part of the discussion;
I've just returned to Paleo, with a bit of a difference. Pure Paleo is HARD. You can eat almost nothing produced in our civilized world. It works like a charm, but I'd say it's not a sustainable lifestyle for most people because it's so restricted. But I picked up a book yesterday (I've been interested in checking out for a while), that even only a couple chapters in I can tell is going to change my life. It's the Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson.

I've always felt better when I eliminated all grains from my diet. I may be Glucose-intolerant, most Native Americans are. And the agricultural age hit what is now the US many centuries after it did the rest of the world, so it's likely my heritage plays an important part in my body not handling grains very well. The Primal Blueprint is a lifestyle plan, not a diet. It tries to parallel as much as possible Paleolithic lifestyle, not just food sources. And even the food sources are pretty livable, not being so dogmatic that you are avoiding that isn't purely fruit, meat, and green vegetable. It deals with longer sustained but lower level exercise like walking, rather than more exhausting high cardio workouts, and it also deals with putting leisure back into your life. You know, those little things like adequate sleep, "play time", etc.

The book makes a serious case for the fact that our genes are more instantly reactive than we have previously thought, and that if we consistently impose negative gene reaction we can eventually make those changes permanent. And he does it all in plain English, not "squint speak" . I suggest anyone interested in a healthier lifestyle that includes being in better shape check it out and see how you feel about it for yourself. You can also check the authors website at [url="http://marksdailyapple.com"]Marks Daily Apple[/url]

'Rani

Drink water, lot's of water have healthy chicken and mix it with some salad and no matter what! don't snack out. Don't eat past seven. And set a weekly weight loss goal of two or three pounds a week. it should feel like the weight slides of in no time. (:

The above is what I started doing. I've already lost 5 pounds. :D it's been about two weeks. (:

I Edited by Dogseatfood

I have had a lot of success changing my lifestyle and diet, that's made the most difference even if I am not hitting the gym. I was a bit overweight in December, around 210 at 6' tall. I am now down to 185, my lifts have gone way up and I am leaning out, getting in shape for my wedding in two months!

I just make sure to get around 1g of protein per pound of LBM, and get the rest from carbs/fats, I make sure to eat 750 calorie deficit daily, so around 1800 usually. Diet is 90% of the weight/fat loss.

• 4 weeks later...
So i have just finished the 40 days on the HCG protocol. So i have dropped 44 pounds!!!!

WOOT!

First time in 6 years i have got on a scale, i wasn't over 300lbs.

6 weeks of maintenance to maintain this weight and my metabolism. Then back again. Should be around 250 by Christmas. I can't freaking wait!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='Stuie' timestamp='1283223522' post='480792']
So i have just finished the 40 days on the HCG protocol. So i have dropped 44 pounds!!!!

WOOT!

First time in 6 years i have got on a scale, i wasn't over 300lbs.

6 weeks of maintenance to maintain this weight and my metabolism. Then back again. Should be around 250 by Christmas. I can't freaking wait!!!!!!!!!!
[/quote]
Thats Awesome Man!! Great Job :)

Run every day. Run as far as you can until you can't possibly run any more. Then run an extra quarter mile.

Eat healthy, if you don't know what foods are healthy use google.

If you run every day and eat healthy you can practically eat as much as you want. No more dr. peppers.

Losing weight is possibly one of the hardest things to do when you think of it as just that. You see, when people start on these drastic diets like weight watchers and jenny craig or any of those [b]temporary fix diets[/b] they waste their time. Those types of "diets" cause your weight to yoyo up and down which is super unhealthy. The reason it causes the weight to just go right back is because people "cheat" and "take breaks" from those diets because they're not enjoyable.

What anyone seeking to lose weight should be doing is looking at a [b]change in lifestyle not a "diet", I[/b] can honestly say the best improvements I've seen in peoples weight is when their first goal isn't to lose weight but rather to do something they enjoy. Take for example walking your dog, going for a light jog around the block, or if you enjoy watching a sport on tv or used to play, to join a small league where you can get some exercise in the right way. Team environment for exercise work best because you help motivate each other so keep that in mind when your looking for an exercise.

Alot of people on here are looking at giving you exact menus but the thing is alot of people have different tastes in food. I recommend going out and doing the groceries yourself, picking out 95% healthy foods and yes less carbs like pasta and bread, and then taking that 5% and buying something so you don't want to pull your hair out from not having anything junky because thats how you start a binge, by just stopping all of a sudden.

Don't try any of the diet pills, they don't work its all bs.

You don't have to work hard and think about losing weight every second of the day, just ease into a healthier all round lifestyle like what you've been doing by cutting back on the dr.peppers.

The way to lose weight sucsessfully isn't hard, losing weight is CALORIES EATEN minus CALORIES BURNED , the average males calorie allowance in a day is 2,500. Keep that in mind when buying foods, take a quick look at the calories on the chart.

Feel free to ask me any question, and let me know if this works out for you :)

I made my own diet plan and loss a good amount of weight and created my own workout regime too. I lift weights constantly, what i use to do was bulk up in the winter, eat alot more and lift heavier with less reps. When spring and summer rolls around I start dieting, watching my calorie count, increase cardio, lighter weight and more reps. My goal was to lean out the fat and keep the muscle mass I gained during the winter.

• 1 month later...
Anyone still losing weight?

Stuie, how is your progress with the HCG protocol?

I'm proud to say that I have now lost 12 pounds, 1/8th of the way there! I should be at my goal weight by Summer 2011...watch out hookah smokers, I'll be hotter than those coals!

It sounds good Stuie..44 pounds is alot and you can still continue.

I'm going to bet that you will be under 250 pounds by christmas..hehe, just to put a little more pressure on you :D Edited by rj_skillz