"do You Smoke?"

So once in a while I'll have people ask me if I smoke. And for a while now I've been kinda curious as to the best way to answer this question. I've settled on "I only smoke hookah" as my answer.
The reason why this question is slightly awkward is that when someone asks "do you smoke?" it's almost always in the context of cigarettes.

I was curious as to what the rest of you do when faced with this question. For those of you who only smoke hookah, what is your response to people who ask if you smoke?

I've had this problem. Usually I say "no" on the grounds that:
•I don't really smoke too often (maybe 3-4 times a week)
•I'm not addicted
•They usually mean cigarettes
•I don't really care to explain just what the hell a hookah is

This is a good question. One time at the doctors office they asked if I was a smoker. I wanted to say "Smoker of What?" but this may have sounded incriminating. Then to have to explain everything and such and such. But for most other times I usually tell people "I dont care what I smoke, as long as it tastes like FRUIT!" If you only smoke hookah, technically you don't smoke, because hookah smoke is not smoke. Tell them you vaporize molasses and fruit.

i would always say that i only smoke hookah/shisha, no biggie about having to explain it to people though, they might just wanna try it out and *bang* I got myself a new hookah buddy!

QUOTE (Hojo @ Oct 7 2008, 09:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
•I'm not addicted

That's pretty much how I see it as well. I only smoke maybe 2 bowls on one day of the week, so that's not really much at all.
I don't HAVE to smoke, although I do enjoy so very much smile.gif
And yes, people usually ask this question if they are smoking a cigarette or would like to offer you one.
The last point you made though, I kinda take another side to it now. I used to hate having to explain to everyone what hookah is, how it works, and that it's not for NHT. But now, I kinda like spreading the word about hookah and possibly getting other people interested in it. But I understand how it can be kind of a hassle tongue.gif

And drfefe2 brings up a good point. I was at the dentist recently for a routine cleaning, and I thought about the possibility of them asking me if I smoke. They didn't, and so I chose not to bring it up, however I think I should at some point. It is technically smoking and could be damaging to the mouth (I'm not sure of this, I haven't read anything that says it is harmful to the mouth), so I'd like them to keep a watch out for the possibility of oral cancer or something. Sounds terrible, but I'd like to be safe tongue.gif

Yes, we all smoke, but when someone asks "Do you smoke?" We know it is an implied reference to cigarettes. So technically I would say no and feel correct in my answer. Edited by joelhookah

QUOTE (joelhookah @ Oct 7 2008, 09:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, we all smoke, but when someone asks "Do you smoke?" We know it is an implied reference to cigarettes. So technically I would say no and feel correct in my answer.

Yeah, I think "do you smoke" and cigarettes go pretty much hand in hand. Safest answer regardless I think would just be yes. For all we know, the "new" shisha we most often smoke can be worst for us then cigs.

The same goes for "do you drink" too and its implications.

-QM Edited by QuiltedMaple

So, before I answer this thread..I see someone browsing with the username noca$h. Props man.

Secondly, I answer yes being as I smoke. Of course, I smoke cigarettes and hookah, but even if I were to not smoke cigarettes I would answer yes. If anyone inquires as to what, all that's needed is a simple explanation. What's so wrong with spreading knowledge?

I usually tell em hookah, cigars, and a briar pipe, and they just assume I smoke everything else including nht and cigs, so I educate them.

How else can we spread the word of Hookah?

Jeez, I just realized I haven't had a cigar in like 6 months.

i always say that i smoke hookah and almost always have to explain what it is. i agree with some of you - it's a great way to spread the word. but when the doctor asks, his next question to cigarette smokers is "how many cigarettes do you smoke a week?" they don't know what to ask a hookah smoker. it's usually, "uh... so how much would you smoke per week."

"i smoke one bowl a day."

"uh... okay. how much is one bowl?"

they just don't know what to write down on their little sheet of paper. lol. it's fun to tell them you smoke hookah and then watch them squirm with frustration. lol

QUOTE (Hojo @ Oct 7 2008, 02:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
•I'm not addicted

you are an occasional/social smoker.
addiction has nothing to do with it.
just because they mean cigarettes (which are tobacco) doesnt mean squat. shisha is tobacco as well.

in the end, you are an occasional smoker.