I Don't Think Me And Hookah Get Along - Throw Up After Last 2 Sessions.

First session, about a week ago, I ate a HUGE dinner and about an hour after I lit up some fresh Fantasia Mango that I received. Golden coals, lit on my stove, set up hookah, started smoking. The flavor was awesome but after an hour I started sweating and getting really flush. My room mate was smoking with me was fine. I thought maybe I was taking hits too many times in such a short time, chain smoking. But anyways, I got sick as I ran upstairs to the bathroom.

Last night, I ate some chinese, waited 1-2 hours, grabbed a beer, water, some popcorn, and set up the hookah. I tried some Mixed Fruit Nakhla but it was sort of old and dry and burned very easily about 15 min into my session. I set up some fresh fantasia blueverry which I just received and after 1.5 hours, I started to get flush again. But this time I didnt have to "run" I instead just leisurely walked to the bathroom knowing something was up...and yakked. I wasnt even hitting it that many times to pace myself.

Should I acclimate the shisha? Because my best session ever was at a friends house where I was stuffed to the max after 2 burgers, drunk, smoking session of 4-5 hours, and I was perfectly fine. I dont get it.

Try to inhale less, and take "cigar puffs" of it until you can get up to speed. Make up a cycle. Say you'll only inhale every 4-5 pulls, so you still get all of that great hookah flavor, but you won't get as much nicotine into your system.

Another problem might be the length of your sessions. Your sickness didn't happen until after an hour each time. It could be that your body isn't condition to take that much nicotine for that long a time. Start with shorter sessions and work your way up.

From the information you gave us it's not impossible that it's fantasia in particular that does it to you... I used to have problems with golden AF, took be a good dozen bowls to get over that. I'd get really nauseous and probably would've thrown up except for the fact that I simply don't throw up, ever.

Maybe try another brand?

Also, what kind of coals are you using? I've heard of some people getting sick from certain brands of quicklights.

First off, you shouldn't be lighting the golden coals on the stove, you'll stain the metal, by Golden I'm assuming you mean Golden QLs, you can use a lighter. Secondly, Hookah never goes well with me during or after heaving eating. Try taking smaller hits and lets your food settle prior to your session. Stay away from Nakhla if you are having trouble, it's unwashed so it will give you a much stronger buzz than something like AF. Another strategy may just be start out smoking just straight mint, or mint mixed in with another tobacco flavor. Mint is always good for nausea, and it will help tone down insanely sweet flavors. I wish you luck!

QUOTE (Johnny_D @ Oct 4 2008, 11:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also being drunk won't help if you can't handle the nicotine!

JD

That is a good point JD... I didn't even notice he mentioend alcohol in his post. Man, I'm just too tired to read right now lol.

But yes, I actually had two friends throw up just last weekend b/c they drank and weren't used to nicotine. They didn't even have that much, but they threw up probably 5-6 times each over a couple bowls.

This sorta happened to me last night. I didn't throw up though, but I was hot and kinda faintish and almost felt like throwing up. I'm thinking what it was was that I just smoked way too much taking pull after pull. I mixed Nakhla Grape with a little bit of Layalina Blueberry and got AMAZING clouds and flavor, so I think all the excitement of having such an awesome bowl led me to overdo it. Also it doesn't help that I had 2 bowls prior to that tongue.gif

So I'm gonna suggest (and take) the same advice others have given about slowing down between pulls and whatnot. smile.gif

you have had nic-a-fits, to much nicotine at once.

the eating before hand is good (idk what people are talking about with letting their food settle i smoke with in 5-15 mins of diner). try to wait like 30 seconds between pulls and dont take the deepest hits you can, take medium hits and when you start to get a buzz slow down so you dont go over the edge
-matt

I was taking medium pulls, 3-5 seconds, then exhaling, not holding or anything. I lit the golden coals on the gas stove we have because my lighter sucks. I set the coal above the gas burner on these metal arm things, light the stove, keep it light til its done sparking, turn off stove, let it heat up while I pack the bowl and fill the vase. And I was pacing myself really slow. I took maybe 2-3 hits during a 5 min commercial break and a one or two hits every 2-3 min while watching TV. There is no way Im going too fast. I had food in my stomach, water to drink. I just dont get it.

I really loved the flavor of mango but the blueberry was too sweet for me. Edited by surface

QUOTE (mattathayde @ Oct 4 2008, 11:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i personally like QLs glowing red hard core on the bottom, but i dont really use them.

have you ever used any other tobacco products before hookah? if not you may just not be used to the nicotine at all

-matt
If I wasnt used to the nicotine then I would have been dead from puking after the 4-5 hour session I pulled 2 weeks ago where I was taking inhales til my lungs exploded for 4 hours........it was akhla or something shisha. But yesterday I was slow, short inhales, water, food, not too full, not empty. Everything was perfectly set, butttt.... no.

Does fantasia have more nicotine in it or something? Only time Ive felt sick from smoking besides the last 2 times was when my friend and I tried some double apple that ended up tasting like burnt black licorice stomped on my a camel dragged through poo. Sick more so from the taste, then feeling flush/hot/faint.

QUOTE (surface @ Oct 4 2008, 07:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (mattathayde @ Oct 4 2008, 11:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i personally like QLs glowing red hard core on the bottom, but i dont really use them.

have you ever used any other tobacco products before hookah? if not you may just not be used to the nicotine at all

-matt
If I wasnt used to the nicotine then I would have been dead from puking after the 4-5 hour session I pulled 2 weeks ago where I was taking inhales til my lungs exploded for 4 hours........it was akhla or something shisha. But yesterday I was slow, short inhales, water, food, not too full, not empty. Everything was perfectly set, butttt.... no.

Does fantasia have more nicotine in it or something?
Only time Ive felt sick from smoking besides the last 2 times was when my friend and I tried some double apple that ended up tasting like burnt black licorice stomped on my a camel dragged through poo. Sick more so from the taste, then feeling flush/hot/faint.

No. But a lot of these more modern tobacco's use a hell of a lot of food coloring. Any tobacco with this really makes me feel ill.

JD

same thing happened to me a couple days ago with romman strawberry and layalina vanilla mix. after maybe an hour and 30 minute session i felt sick and really light headed exactly how you said it, but i think i was rushing my self and blame it on that.

if i ate beer, chinneese and popcorn i'd be barfing too :X thats some serious heavy food idk i never smoke on a full stomach...always makes me nausuaes..i ussualt eat crackers or something light b3 i smoke

-Do you smoke in a reasonably ventilated area? Crack a window.
-Could be you're burning your shisha and drawing in overheated, foul smoke, make sure to keep coals on the outside and don't use too many. With golden coals i 'd use three halves per bowl at a time. You can break them in half by scoring them with a knife.
-Don't hit too many times a row.
-Big tip: A clean hookah makes all the difference. if it came with brushes, clean it out thorougly with lemon juice and rinse it with hot water. Edited by Majid

as to ventilation also if you just turn on a bathroom vent or if you have a vent over your stove that out puts out side (not the stupid blows air out the top of the microwave) either will pull a good amount of air (the volume of a normal sized home in an hour)

-matt

I clean my hookah right after every session. Just hot water and I push some paper towels through the stem with a hanger to dry it. I smoke in my living room with the windows open and there is usually a good draft. It wasnt burning because when I pulled the foil off the bowl there was nothing stuck to it and it didnt taste like I was burning it. Edited by surface

Upgrade to natural coals and better shisha. I like Fantasia Grape, its a good smoke. But I still like other shishas more. Like Tangiers, Al Waha, Nakhla, and to a lesser extent, AF. I just dont like how thin of a cut AF is. The flavors are pretty good most of the time, but the cut pisses me off. Try Starbuzz too or Tonic. Those 2, you're guaranteed a lower nicotine content, therefore, less nicotine buzz, less sickness, etc.

QUOTE (Majid @ Oct 4 2008, 08:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
-Do you smoke in a reasonably ventilated area? Crack a window.
-Could be you're burning your shisha and drawing in overheated, foul smoke, make sure to keep coals on the outside and don't use too many. With golden coals i 'd use three halves per bowl at a time. You can break them in half by scoring them with a knife.
-Don't hit too many times a row.
-Big tip: A clean hookah makes all the difference. if it came with brushes, clean it out thorougly with lemon juice and rinse it with hot water.

I agree make sure you half the golden coals because it burns more evenly