Birth Control

So I know this forum is predominantly male (but half of you are married/have girlfriends anyways).

So I also know you're not really supposed to smoke on the birth control pill, but what about hookah? I asked my doctor about this today, and she didn't even know what a hookah WAS. Lol.

My initial assumption is if I don't suddenly decide to smoke every day, it's probably a non-issue. I haven't even smoked in two weeks, come to think of it.

Was curious if anyone here has had experience, or knows anyone who has had experience, with this topic.

Thanks!

I would think because hookah is supposed to be worse for your lungs than smoking cigarettes that you'd still be at risk for blood clots and that, but I'm not sure. I do know it won't alter the effectiveness of the pill, you just might like have a heart attack or something.

my wife was on the pill and she smoked weekly (almost daily) and now she has the arm inplant thingy and we still smoke pretty much the same amount (almost daily).

I dont ahve a kid yet, but everyone is different and birth control is never 100%

(btw we do it pretty much every other day)

for some reason i read birth control but thought you were pregnant and wondering if you should smoke.

i would think you should be alright. as long as you dont smoke too much. there should be some way your doctor can test you or something for blood clots... but i also had friends who were on birth control and still smoked cigarettes.

you should be fine i know girls on it that smoke cigs more than i do (half pack a day or so) and they dont have anyproblems, and canon thanks for the info that was a bit of a tmi lol

Shisha generally has relatively little nicotine in it. This is compared to cigarettes. The effect is still there, a nicotine buzz, but I dont think it will thin your blood enough to cause issues. My judgment? You can keep smoking. Be very careful about it though, space out your smokes by a few days, if not a week.

I think it depends on the amount, but it also depends on the individual. Nicotine, like alcohol and caffeine, can potentially offset or alter the artificial hormonal effects of birth control pills or injections. I've had experience with different girls on every kind of birth control you can name, and it's my somewhat educated assertion that any negative effects from nicotine while on the pill would not cancel out the primary effect of contraception, but could possibly intensify or catalyze side effects such as moodiness, decreased sex drive, erratic and/or increased menstruation and/or "spotting", etc. etc.

My advice would be to continue smoking on the pill, but not to overdo it, smoke lighter shishas to begin with like AF (in terms of nicotine content), and to take a break if you're beginning to notice negative side effects. I don't think you'll have any problems if you aren't smoking every day. Edited by gaia.plateau

QUOTE (Bulldog_916 @ Oct 2 2008, 01:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Shisha generally has relatively little nicotine in it. This is compared to cigarettes. The effect is still there, a nicotine buzz, but I dont think it will thin your blood enough to cause issues. My judgment? You can keep smoking. Be very careful about it though, space out your smokes by a few days, if not a week.

I have the implanon ( a birth control that is like a piercing under my skin in the muscle that slowly gets smaller over a 3 year time frame). I used to take the pill. I believe that either one, its not recommended that you smoke, because the niccotine makes the soft tissue in the cervix more susceptible to short bursts of fertility. The point Bulldog made was right on track, there isn't much niccotine in shisha.

You all think Canon went over board? I could give you the nitty gritty details of why this new birth control I have drives me nuts! Edited by Kathrynx

QUOTE (gaia.plateau @ Oct 2 2008, 10:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think it depends on the amount, but it also depends on the individual. Nicotine, like alcohol and caffeine, can potentially offset or alter the artificial hormonal effects of birth control pills or injections. I've had experience with different girls on every kind of birth control you can name, and it's my somewhat educated assertion that any negative effects from nicotine while on the pill would not cancel out the primary effect of contraception, but could possibly intensify or catalyze side effects such as moodiness, decreased sex drive, erratic and/or increased menstruation and/or "spotting", etc. etc.

My advice would be to continue smoking on the pill, but not to overdo it, smoke lighter shishas to begin with like AF (in terms of nicotine content), and to take a break if you're beginning to notice negative side effects. I don't think you'll have any problems if you aren't smoking every day.

I've read the things that Gaia.Plateau took time to write also online in lots of places, and agree with her/him. It seems to me the bigger problem in hookah health might just be the charcoal drifting in minute qualities into the lungs, also blood, affecting presure.
I have charcoal dust , clean and 2 days later the "Black Layer" of film is back on the floor, p.c. etc.

Thanks for the consensus. In general, I don't have a history of heart problems in my family, I don't smoke more than once a week, and I typically only smoke Layalina, AF, or Starbuzz. I'll probably hold of on the hookah for a couple weeks (though still lurk around here and get jealous of everyone else's shisha stock), then go back to hookah slowly. We'll see how it goes.

It's actually pretty simple an explanation...... Note loudly that I'm not a doctor - I only have a great doctor that answers questions and believes in living life to the fullest.

Anytime you add anything to your body chemistry you're changing the risk factors. It could be in a good way like high blood pressure medication lowers your risk of a pressure related stroke for example. Some things like smoking add to your risk of stroke and heart attack. How much of a risk is based on your individual genetics and in my personal opinion your mental well-being. (Happy, unstressed people get sick much, much less.) Birth control pills also add risk of stroke, etc. So basically you're adding two risks together. And again, based on your genetics it may be dangerous or well within your own personal safety zone. You can, however, modify the risk by taking a different pill, etc. Some have a greater risk than others. Basically your doctor needs to know how many risk factors you are dealing with and help you reduce those you can. If your doctor doesn't know what a hookah is, then take a container of tobacco to the office and show her/him the ingredients. By finding a great doctor and working with them as partners in your health, you can make any adjustments you choose to.

'Rani

QUOTE (natgnat @ Oct 2 2008, 01:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So I know this forum is predominantly male (but half of you are married/have girlfriends anyways).

So I also know you're not really supposed to smoke on the birth control pill, but what about hookah? I asked my doctor about this today, and she didn't even know what a hookah WAS. Lol.

My initial assumption is if I don't suddenly decide to smoke every day, it's probably a non-issue. I haven't even smoked in two weeks, come to think of it.

Was curious if anyone here has had experience, or knows anyone who has had experience, with this topic.

Thanks!

I wouldn't think it would be an issue...my gf for the past three yrs has been on the pill and she smokes around as much as I do(pack, pack and a half a day), without having mini-me(s) running around at all...so I dont see hookah/shisha being an issue. I think part of it with cigs is all the damn chemicals they put in them...over 3000 that could counter, but shisha just has the nicotine, glycerine, honey/molasses, and whatever carcinogens coming from the charcoals.

Smoke away

QUOTE (natgnat @ Oct 2 2008, 10:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the consensus. In general, I don't have a history of heart problems in my family, I don't smoke more than once a week, and I typically only smoke Layalina, AF, or Starbuzz. I'll probably hold of on the hookah for a couple weeks (though still lurk around here and get jealous of everyone else's shisha stock), then go back to hookah slowly. We'll see how it goes.

Yeah, you'll be fine then. One of my friends is on birth control and she smokes every day. Usually several bowls a day, and she hasn't had any problems.

QUOTE (ilikemyusername @ Oct 2 2008, 06:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
fuck it, we're all gonna die anyway.

+1

Winning post right here. I don't have much experience since I am a guy, but I've known many women (including my mom) who smoked for years (the nasty cancer sticks, I just can't convert her to hookah) and never had a problem. It's a risk, but that's life, enjoy it!

Nurse Tati says:
You guys are funny, smoking cigs and hookah has no effect on the effectiveness of the pill.

Its the risk factors that you should be worried about. Birth control increases your risk of blood clots, and so do cigs. Since there isnt that much research on hookah and its effects on health, no one can tell you for sure what the effects will be.
And Rani is completely right!

QUOTE (Tati @ Oct 2 2008, 06:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nurse Tati says:
You guys are funny, smoking cigs and hookah has no effect on the effectiveness of the pill.

Its the risk factors that you should be worried about. Birth control increases your risk of blood clots, and so do cigs. Since there isnt that much research on hookah and its effects on health, no one can tell you for sure what the effects will be.
And Rani is completely right!

Hmm, well, I wasn't really worried about the EFFECTIVENESS factor to begin with. It was more the blod-clot issue that I wanted to check up on. Lol.