Cooking Coals In A Pan

Has anyone ever attempted lighting coals in a cooking pan?

I have tossed the idea around a little bit of being able to light coals in a cooking pan, cast iron, metal or those fancy new ones with anti-stick stuff.
Because I'm going camping this weekend, and we'll have a metal pot and a cooking pan. Which I can fab up a way of just cooking the coals on wood, or in the fire itself and all. Just thinking of easier ways and different solutions, just in case I get a couple drinks in me and start lighting up coals in non-stick pans and wind up creating a disaster!

i ONLY light my coals in a pan....... i have a gas hob with no where to really place the coals i picked up a 99p pan STAY AWAY FROM TEFLON AND NONSTICK they give off toxic fumes

it takes maybe 5 mins to light nour finger coals this way and you can carry the pan straight into the shisha from the kitchen

Steve

Pan? Of course it works. Why/how wouldn't it? Failing at lighting coals is pretty much a bullet-proof excuse to go ahead and off yourself in shame. If you're gonna be drunk you might want to consider getting some long barbecue tongs to get coals out of the fire though.

Oh I've thought about this idea many many times. I've been at a friend's house and they had the hardtop stove. However, I've never tried it. When I'm without a stove to light my coals (this is if I have quicklites... it's good to have those when you're in this bind) I will take tongs to grab a coal and light a candle, and then hold the coal over the candle flame so it ignites. After that, I just wait for it to fully light and ash.

QUOTE (Stuie @ Oct 1 2008, 04:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I saw JD do it once in a tobacco review i think. I PM'd him about it and told me don't do it, it is a bad idea.

Sounds like JD, haha.

QUOTE (steeeeeeve @ Oct 1 2008, 04:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i ONLY light my coals in a pan....... i have a gas hob with no where to really place the coals i picked up a 99p pan STAY AWAY FROM TEFLON AND NONSTICK they give off toxic fumes

it takes maybe 5 mins to light nour finger coals this way and you can carry the pan straight into the shisha from the kitchen

Steve

99p?
And pretty much what I figured.

QUOTE (AKammenzind @ Oct 1 2008, 04:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pan? Of course it works. Why/how wouldn't it? Failing at lighting coals is pretty much a bullet-proof excuse to go ahead and off yourself in shame. If you're gonna be drunk you might want to consider getting some long barbecue tongs to get coals out of the fire though.

Well, I know how pans are all different kinds. And I had figured that non-stick and teflon pans wouldnt work and it wouldnt be wise to try in the first place. But I've never had a problem with coals. There's plenty of times I find myself with a BIC lighter and the Belgium natural discs on a beach.
Long tongs? Pfft, I ash coals with my hands. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (bikeAholic @ Oct 1 2008, 05:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh I've thought about this idea many many times. I've been at a friend's house and they had the hardtop stove. However, I've never tried it. When I'm without a stove to light my coals (this is if I have quicklites... it's good to have those when you're in this bind) I will take tongs to grab a coal and light a candle, and then hold the coal over the candle flame so it ignites. After that, I just wait for it to fully light and ash.

I've actually lit coals on every stove I have come across. From the gas powered, to the electric coils, to the electric flat tops. Only problems I've occured is just leaving a little bit of discoloration on some electric flat tops.

I know it's not a real answer to your question... but maybe you should just get some quicklites? Just seems easier in your situation to grab a roll of 3K and enjoy rather than trying to light naturals. Also, there's a rave review of the insta-light cocos.