Dreadlocks

LycanLovesthePipe

I love them, unless they are nasty and not taken care of i.e. clumpy uni-dread type stuff. Just look up a recent pic of the emcee Mr. Lif to see what I mean. I used to envy Brandon Boyd (Incubus), Sonny Sandoval (P.O.D.), and Zach De La Rocca's (RATM) dreads.

I grew my hair out for dreads for 2.5 years from being bald and made the mistake of trusting a friend to get them started (rat the hell out of them into their initial phase). Asshole lied about the amount of experience he had and made me look like sideshow bob mixed with a juggalo and I hate ICP (after telling him we need to measure my hair out and do it with precision and patience) sad.gif

We took them out 2 days later with my heart broken and 2.5 hours of pain. My hair was fucking shredded, I was so pissed. It meant alot to me and was to be an outward representation of an inner spirituality in my life, and a symbol of the wild untamed masculinity I wish to keep in my heart (not the pseudo-masculinity our culture embraces now). Needless to say he is no longer my friend, it really hurt that he lied knowing how much this meant.

I only had dreads for two days and it just felt right despite the crappyness of the "stylist's" work. I wish I had them now and will have them again, the right way, eventually (mohawk for now).

GO FOR IT YO!!

Ktiz where are you? (she dreaded her hair a few weeks ago)

QUOTE (giant ninja robot @ Sep 7 2008, 12:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I love them, unless they are nasty and not taken care of i.e. clumpy uni-dread type stuff. Just look up a recent pic of the emcee Mr. Lif to see what I mean. I used to envy Brandon Boyd (Incubus), Sonny Sandoval (P.O.D.), and Zach De La Rocca's (RATM) dreads.

I grew my hair out for dreads for 2.5 years from being bald and made the mistake of trusting a friend to get them started (rat the hell out of them into their initial phase). Asshole lied about the amount of experience he had and made me look like sideshow bob mixed with a juggalo and I hate ICP (after telling him we need to measure my hair out and do it with precision and patience) sad.gif

We took them out 2 days later with my heart broken and 2.5 hours of pain. My hair was fucking shredded, I was so pissed. It meant alot to me and was to be an outward representation of an inner spirituality in my life, and a symbol of the wild untamed masculinity I wish to keep in my heart (not the pseudo-masculinity our culture embraces now). Needless to say he is no longer my friend, it really hurt that he lied knowing how much this meant.

I only had dreads for two days and it just felt right despite the crappyness of the "stylist's" work. I wish I had them now and will have them again, the right way, eventually (mohawk for now).

GO FOR IT YO!!

Ktiz where are you? (she dreaded her hair a few weeks ago)

Ah dude that sucks!
If I get 'em done it'll be for you empathy3.gif

When I did it I used the starter kit from them and it was good stuff.

Doubon - sounds like your friend did it the "natural" way which some people misinterpret to mean never washing hair which is indeed gross as hell. You just can't use conditioner or shampoos with conditioners in them.

QUOTE (Snore @ Sep 8 2008, 11:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
read up on it...it takes a lot of commitment to have nice dreads...dreadhead probably has the best products and starter kits...

I LOVE dreadlocks. Think they're the coolest thing ever smile.gif
I wanted dreadlocks for the longest time, but of course my parents were not too fond of the idea. Then I went through like 3 different hair styles, and I'm finally growing my hair back out again. Maybe by the time it's long enough I'll consider dreading it biggrin.gif

My research involving dreadlocks lead me to the dreadheadhq website. That is THE site for dreadlock information and products. If I ever get to dread my hair, I'll be ordering a lot of stuff from them.

So go for it man, dreads are awesome!

I had dreads for over three years (2003-2007), and I loved them, but they're hard to take care of. If you're going to get them, get them done right. Have them done by a professional, twist them about 10 times a day for the first 6 months, shampoo them at least twice a month after you've had them for two months (be sure it's a shampoo with no residues), and you should be alright.

Let the record show I've cut my hair once in like seven years. Edited by gaia.plateau

As a published artist and a poet, I'd love to have dreads to express my beliefs and artistic side but I really don't think I could pull it off because I am very reluctant to shave my beard (personal reasons). Kinda hard to picture me with dark blond dreads and a copper red beard.... Ah, to dream the impossible dream...

QUOTE (Big Boss @ Sep 11 2008, 02:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As a published artist and a poet, I'd love to have dreads to express my beliefs and artistic side but I really don't think I could pull it off because I am very reluctant to shave my beard (personal reasons). Kinda hard to picture me with dark blond dreads and a copper red beard.... Ah, to dream the impossible dream...

Colour your dreads red.

QUOTE (gaia.plateau @ Sep 11 2008, 12:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Colour your dreads red.

I'm embarrassed that I didn't think of that myself... unsure.gif

So, how long does my hair need to be to begin this process in full?

QUOTE (Big Boss @ Sep 11 2008, 01:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (gaia.plateau @ Sep 11 2008, 12:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Colour your dreads red.

I'm embarrassed that I didn't think of that myself... unsure.gif

So, how long does my hair need to be to begin this process in full?

Your shortest hairs should be at least 3 or 4 inches.

Alot of the time, the reason dreadlocks become nasty, is because of the wax.
That shit rots inside your hair. (as it never fully washes out)
Just backcomb and let them be, and they will become beautiful locks in no time.
They are not hard to take care of if you don't worry about what they look like in the first stages.
and there is no need to "get them done."
That's not what dreadlocks are about, in my personal opinon.
for me, dreadlocks are a spiritual journey and not a fashion.

please, please, look at this site
www.knottylocks.tk

it's a dreadlock forum, like hookah forum, and they will lead you in the right direction.

I just realized something. I'll be taking a certified welding class in the spring, and I'll be in a wedding party in May. I asked the bride if she'd be cool with it if I had dreads and she said "If you cut them before the wedding it would be ok." Even if I wait, I'd still have to worry about sparks working as a welder. I can't really think of anything big enough that is flame resistant to cover my hair. Well... I could always opt for the 'executioner' style welding helmet/mask...

QUOTE (Big Boss @ Sep 11 2008, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just realized something. I'll be taking a certified welding class in the spring, and I'll be in a wedding party in May. I asked the bride if she'd be cool with it if I had dreads and she said "If you cut them before the wedding it would be ok." Even if I wait, I'd still have to worry about sparks working as a welder. I can't really think of anything big enough that is flame resistant to cover my hair. Well... I could always opt for the 'executioner' style welding helmet/mask...

Just tie them back, or do sparks actually fly over your mask and land on your head? You could always get a full helmet or something I guess, haha.

My old bass player had a "dread hawk" which was a line of dreadlocks just in the center of his head he would braid into a line and hung out the back like the predator...when he didn't bread em they looked really gross though.

BTW, if you're gonna dread, use knotty boy (guitar player and bass player actually got sponsored by them--apparantly good stuff? My hairs curly so I wouldn't know).

QUOTE (gaia.plateau @ Sep 12 2008, 01:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Big Boss @ Sep 11 2008, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just tie them back, or do sparks actually fly over your mask and land on your head? You could always get a full helmet or something I guess, haha.

Yeah. The sparks go everywhere, and I do mean everywhere. As far as I know there aren't any 'full helmets', only full face helmets. Closest thing to a "full helmet" would be an 'executioners' style leather hood with welding glass sockets. Hell, I once had a spark jump over my helmet and fall down onto my nose. The worst was when a spark actually went into my ear. Now that's pain, my friends.

Luv them, wanted to get them but my hair is too straight...

One but. Do take care of them, ie. wash them. Sat down next to a girl with a beautiful head of locks, but had to change seats because of the not-so-pleasant smell. Bad smell and boring lecture were just too much to handle help!.gif

QUOTE (ktiz @ Sep 17 2008, 07:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
(the smell is the wax, molding inside the dread)

いや!
Really?
I know nothing about actually having dreadlocks... Isn't there a way to, you know, get the wax out somehow? I mean, for the sake of basic hygiene huh.gif