The Hookah 'fad'

QUOTE (D-Rock @ Sep 6 2008, 05:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE ([Elmo] @ Sep 5 2008, 10:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Short version: What do you think about people that claim to be into hookah but really have no clue?

Sounds like a bunch of people jumping on the bandwagon. But i think that's ok, that's what forums are for (to share information and learn from).
As a bandwagon member myself, i have to say thanks to the folks that introduced me to hookah smoking, it has helped me quit a long time smokeless tobacco addiction (12 years).
The chewing tobacco has horrible long term effects and i am pleased to be free of it. (I still love fine cigars though).

Hopefully i won't get hit with a NHT ban stick for being vocal about my thoughts on this.

nht ban is just drugs...we use that term for the jailhouse lawyers. you can talk about dip/chewing tobacco and cigs...etc, and nht can only come up with misconceptions

Haha well i must admit i was the same way when i first got into hookah which was by my girlfriend all though we were both newbs to its culture but she had been smoking it for about a year before she met me just occasionally at hookah bars/lounges with friends. all though i wasnt a really bad newb. becuase of my new found hobby i wanted to learn more and learned everything i know now becuase of alot of cool people on many forums. now i go to hookah lounges from time to time and i see these people and i laugh at them and when i have my nammor with me they wonder why they dont have the "cool" hose. lol. but i do like to help and educate people about it when i can. Edited by fashow69

Im all for it becoming a fad, i started smoking maybe 3 years ago because one of my closest friends is from iraq he introduced me to it but in the last year i started to take it seriously ( seriously is a bad word there) and i hadnt even tried AF untill 2 years ago but now its a fad i have all of my scuba diving and rock climbing friends joining me for sessions.

hell on our last dive trip and our last climb trips i took a crappy pumpkin (doesnt matter if it breaks) hookah and we sat around on rock faces or dive sites smoking away and even though it was with crappy jap QL's and a terrible hookah they were some of my best sessions.

just picture on a pier with people kitting up to dive and one group smoking af mint shisha still wearing there drysuits (its cold diving here 3 deg)

or sitting on a rock face you just climbed/ around a camp fire at night after enjoying a nakhla lemon

steve

Eh, maybe it's a fad but I don't think it is. Like Codename said, it has been around for far too long to be considered a fad.

I love seeing people get into Hookahs, though. Like many members have said, the more people who have a positive experience, the more good press hookahs get. I started smoking in a lounge and immediately fell in love with it. I've just placed an order for some coco's, more tangiers, and Al Fahker and I intend to get more people into hookah with it! This coming Friday, I've got some people coming over who have never tried hookah and I think they'll fall in love with it like me--will these people become fad-users or legitimate disciples? I don't know but they have to start somewhere.

That being said, this extreme growth rate may be short lived but hookah will never be a fad.

Its like wearing clothes.....some people like a brands design and some people wear it to fit in or to be cool....I have to admit that i was once one of these people but then i started to enjoy hookah for what it was Edited by frost91