Snore

Mac or Pc  

220 members have voted

1. 1. Mac or Pc

• Mac
    • Pc
    • Linux
    • Mac and Pc

I've run pretty much every OS under the sun... My next computer purchase will probably be a mac...

I find windows to be nauseatingly frustrating to deal with, especially with all the malicious software/code out there...
Linux is solid, though compatibility can be a bear to deal with, especially for "windows only" peripherals. Also it takes a lot of time to get familiarized with each distro (they all have their quirks)
Unix is too complicated for my taste...
OS X is fairly straight forward to use (coming from a windows world), and interoperability/compatibility with windows is getting a lot better...

I'm not a big fan of the apple tax on hardware, or the microsoft tax on software...but I think, right now, OS X is the lesser of the evils..

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 2 cents. All OSes have issues that you have to deal with.

Linux - Isn't done. Great security options, heavily customizable, talking system customization.
Windows - Security sucks, resource heavy. Works with anything.
OSX - Little to no customization, talking system customization again not background image. Can only be used on Macs (easily). Good security.

Either one you are gonna have issues. The nature of the beast.

QUOTE (Sherwood @ Jun 11 2009, 05:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (delSol_si @ Jun 9 2009, 09:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
All operating system CAN be free.

He didn't pay anything for the OS or office software and neither did I.

That's not free, exactly. That's stolen.

stolen is still free. it may not be legal but there was no currency transaction so it is free.

QUOTE (chinamon @ Jul 11 2009, 05:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hackintosh all the way. i refuse to pay full price for a geniune mac.

This is my main issue with apple: Hardware prices. But the software is what everyone really wants, because it's intuitive and easy to use.

And let's face it, people don't buy Macs to have a unix terminal, they buy them for the cool GUI features. Funny thing is, one of my favorite features of OSX, the dock, is in Windows 7. The taskbar and quicklaunch bar got combined and function the same way as the OSX dock, it's great.

The Windows 7 release candidate is still up for free download from Microsoft, by the way, if anybody wants to give it a shot for free wink.gif

QUOTE (chinamon @ Jul 11 2009, 03:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Unless you want super low budget Mac's aren't that horribly priced. Especially their macbooks, $1000 for the hardware you get is actually very competative (cheaper and free goodies for students as well).

I'm a little bit of everything guy. Not a huge fan of linux, but mainly for the fact I don't have enough time to learn it properly. Macbook for school, still going strong after 3+ years, held up extremely well thus far, and my experiences with Apple Care will keep me buying Apple products for sometime.

XP right now for my home PC, never bothered with vista as I never needed anything from it. Been messing with the W7 beta and will be making the upgrade to that (that and got in on the $50 upgrade for Home premium, so have a couple copies coming, perhaps bootcamp my macbook as well). Gaming and components are really what keeps me going with windows right now though. Love building my own PC's so mac's (outside of hackintosh) are out for that and gaming well doesn't help mac or linux.

They all have their issues, and all of their strengths. Best bet is to use them all (Gives you an excuse for more computers as well wink.gif )

I love my MBP for almost everything. I do miss being able to game once in a while. I know you can use some stuff to game on macs, but its just not the same. May pick up a cheap PC for gaming and some other stuff, but FWIW my mac have never done me wrong.

As a college kid I couldn't find anything that compared to the power, build quality, and feature set of the macbook pro 13 inch.
For around 1250 you the laptop, a free printer and a free ipod touch. When you subtract the price of the extra's from the total price you get a little above 900. So basically, for 900 you get the macbook pro.

Honestly, there's no comparable laptops within the 13 inch range. I wanted something durable, and the one piece aluminum of the MPB was ideal. All of the carbon fiber laptops I looked at were horribly over priced (2K for some of the sony's, are you shitting me?). Simply put, there is no 13 inch laptop that can compete.

I love this computer to death :3

QUOTE (bungiman @ Jul 12 2009, 03:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is this fully unlocked or limited installation? If so what specs are in there? Which iso did you use? You have roused the bungiman.

what do you mean "fully unlocked"?
i am able to do all software updates except OSX updates because i dont know what compatibility issues i may have. right now i am running 10.5.6 without any problems.

the specs are:
Gigabyte EP45-UD3R motherboard
Intel Core2 Duo E5200 2.5GHz
4GB DDR2 800MHz ram
500GB Seagate SATA
Asus NVidia GeForce 9400GT 512MB
Samsung 2233BW 22" lcd monitor

edit: i installed with iPC OSx86 10.5.6 Edited by chinamon

For a while when I looked into it there were issues with have hard drive limitations because you were basically running from a image of some guys hard drive. Good to see that is not the case. Thanks for the specs.

QUOTE (Snore @ Sep 4 2008, 12:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So which is it....

I have a macbook and a Desktop pc

DAMN thought i was in the general chit chat
Sorry mods

Both... dual boot pc laptop and my desktop is running virtual PC.

Windows lets me uses synths on my music rig and mac lets me design and record music.

Best of both worlds.

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (chinamon @ Jul 16 2009, 08:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (bungiman @ Jul 12 2009, 03:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is this fully unlocked or limited installation? If so what specs are in there? Which iso did you use? You have roused the bungiman.

what do you mean "fully unlocked"?
i am able to do all software updates except OSX updates because i dont know what compatibility issues i may have. right now i am running 10.5.6 without any problems.

the specs are:
Gigabyte EP45-UD3R motherboard
Intel Core2 Duo E5200 2.5GHz
4GB DDR2 800MHz ram
500GB Seagate SATA
Asus NVidia GeForce 9400GT 512MB
Samsung 2233BW 22" lcd monitor

edit: i installed with iPC OSx86 10.5.6

I was close to putting that on my HP but decided Im too much of a die hard PC fan to go with the glorified Mac OS.. While they do make good laptops that have alot of cool programs there so simplified that any idiot with 1200 dollars could go grab one from the apple store and know how to use everything.

I have to admit though...I wish I could have a MBP w/ Snow leopard on it
ohmy.gif

• 1 month later...
PC here...

While I applaud MAC for what it does bring to the table, I still could never pay the premium for what comes down to eye candy. I can do everything and more on my PC vs a MAC. Does it look as pretty? No. But I would rather have functionality, options, vs. being stuck in a proprietary, draconian environment, where I have to sell my first born to join the club..

Macs are like bose.. They work great because they are a controlled, proprietary device, that leaves you with limited options. There's a reason I returned the top of the line bose home theather back in the day when I assembled my HT. I didn't like not being able to build everything out to my content. Same with MACS. I've been building my pcs for the last 14 years. I have never had compatibility problems, crashes, viruses, etc. Come to think of it, MACS are like AOL more than anything else. They just work, right? So simple, anyone could use it?

But I digress.. What it boils down to is what you want out of your computer. PCs are more like being a car nut, where your options are limitless, and you can do anything you want, but you have to have the knowledge and experience to do it, or it will bite you in the ass. Macs are good when that's not as important, and you just want a good experience straight out of the box, and maybe you're willing to surrender some creative license and functionality for it too.

Well when I started College I got a Mac Book Pro...I was doing a Music/Game Design major...but I Dual boot windows on my Mac...and I will say Windows on a mac runs well if it's windows 7...I've had trouble with XP and Vista on my mac...Vista well it was working ok and I just didn't update it..and it started bugging out and then I ejected the partition on the mac side screwing it up >.> ...and same with XP but I have 7 on here now...

Then for my Desktop I put Linux & 7 on it...as far as I see every operating system or machine just has different uses... Though I will throw in that yes on a mac you are also buying a Name I guess...it sucks that they are more expensive but I'm happy with the sucker, I'm planning on getting a little net book next for programming in and out of class so I don't have to carry my mac around any more as often.

But all in all I see the complaints and bickering as pointless just use what your used to or what you can afford...like if you don't have enough for a mac or something just get a Dell or HP they run the same...and what not mellow.gif

In my opinion, people who buy Macs are going with the new popularity and "hype" with Apple and their products.

A decent number of people who use Macs I have found don't know how to performance basic PC maintenance, basic knowledge of how to avoid getting viruses, don't understand how to use the basics of Windows and assume Macs will be so much easier to use, and think Macs for some reason perform a whole lot better than PCs even though (put a PC and Mac with equivalent specs next to each other, they will perform identical, but the Mac will often cost more)

I personally hate Macs and their damn OS's, I've been using Windows since it came out pretty much. When I was a kid, I used DOS, but I think I was 5 or 6 when Windows came out is when I started with Windows. So easy to use.

I perform basic maintenance on my PC and laptop at most one to two times a month and it still runs like it's new.

PC whore for life

I loaded Windows 7 and I am impressed. It has a task bar at the bottom to pin your fav programs so you don't have to close any windows to get to them, and the windows manipulation (sizing and positioning) is cool, personalizing backgrounds and themes, and the sleep mode works great... pops back up in seconds.