Mac or Pc  

220 members have voted

1. 1. Mac or Pc

• Mac
    • Pc
    • Linux
    • Mac and Pc

QUOTE (JayP21 @ Sep 19 2008, 12:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It all depends on what u use it for, depending on the uses both work very well, hate viruses get a mac, but many programs dont run on mac just yet, patches are coming out let me know if u got any other ?s i work at bestbuy computers for years, so lemme know pce

Sorry dude, you're wrong, it's been tested more than once and the recent mac os' have more security flaws than Vista, it's just that no one cares enough to write a malicious code for it. However, as macs get more popular (which I can only hope the huddled masses aren't that stupid) then you can expect to have more viruses than windows 98 and an inbox full of fake emails.

Click it

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...
I know this is an old topic, but I just got one of the new aluminum macbooks and thought I should write about it. I owned a 14.1" Hp laptop for about a year and a half and it crashed on me right in the middle of a 8-9 page paper I was finishing up at 1 am due at 8 am. I was pissed that I had to re-due almost the entire paper at 1 in the morning. Before that, I had been having a lot of problems with it, but was able to tinker around with it and get in to keep working. I screwed around with it for a couple days trying to get it to work and finally gave up and took it to the IT lab here on campus. They had to run two different programs on it to let me get my data off the harddrive, even then I couldn't get most of it off because almost all of it was corrupt. On break, I went home and got the restore disk and got it to boot up again, but had some hardware issues and it is no longer usable because random programs keep booting themselves up. Anyway, I was on the hunt for a new laptop and was going to go with either a Lenovo (IBM) thinkpad, or a Dell latitude. I hate vista and these two laptops were the only ones I could find that you could still order with XP preloaded. My dad had some Dells and Lenovos laying around so I played with them a bit and they both kept pissing me off. Eventually, I figured out that I could get a nice Dell or Lenovo for about the same price or spend an extra couple hundred and get a macbook. I heard great things about macs and was getting tired of Microsoft and windows bullshit, so I sprung for the Macbook.

So far, I have been impressed on certain things, and upset on others. I love the mac in the fact that there is little to no bloat software that I know about. Also, there aren't all kinds of programs trying to get me to purchase a subscription or anything like that. It is also very nice, clean, and simple. When I would start up my Windows based laptop, there were always useless program on the desktop and in there and I don't know which programs are okay to get rid of it or not. On the Mac, I see about 15-20 icons at the bottom, almost all of which look pretty useful. I have even already used quite a few of them. ALSO, one thing I LOVE about the macbook is that when it starts up, there are NO programs that feel the need to pop up during start up! This also leads to faster startup time. Overall I really enjoy the simplicity of the mac, though there are some things lacking. I only have 2 usb's so I need to buy a hub. There is NO VGA output, so I am going to have to buy a $35 mini displayport to VGA adaptor to use my external monitor. Also, no SD card slot, so there is another adaptor I need to purchase. Also no S-video or HDMI port, though I don't really need these anyway. I think they were going for a simple look, which I enjoy, but I kinda think it was a bit overkill.

There are a couple other things that piss me off about the macs. The internet doesn't work worth a shit, though I am on a college campus so that could be the reason, I will probably take it to the IT lab to try and fix this. Also, it seems like everything for Mac is more expensive and most of my profs use windows. My dad is letting me use one of his old dell work computers so I just have the dell on one side and the mac on the other. I like using the mac more overall so far, much easier and not as many problems. The touchpad on this particular mac is AMAZING!! the entire pad is a button and I can zoom in and out with it as well as going back and forward on webpages or any other pages with the swipe of my fingers. Plus, if anything does happen to fuck up, there is still the control command escape option that is similar to control alt delete to end unresponsive programs. To the person that said that macs are more susceptible to security threats and the only reason they don't seem like it is because people don't bother to write the viruses... I say GOOD! That means there are less that I can get. One last thing I dislike is the power adaptor. The little fucker keeps falling out of the socket. It is nice that they give you an extension for reaching further, but if it falls out, that does me no good anyway, though I do like the part that connects to the laptop being a magnetized.

Overall I don't think I have used the mac long enough to make valid comparison, but I do find the mac easier to use so far and am glad to not be supporting microsoft and their bullshit. If I would have done over, I probably wouldn't have bought this for the price. Very awesome laptop, but too expensive. Paid $1400 after tax at BB and I think I probably could have gotten about 2-3 Hp's for the same price. If my parents hadn't helped me out I would not have bought it. I was just tired of the computer crashing and my parents knew that. I am an accounting major, not the artsy type, so I think I would probably enjoy it better if I was.

Ive used both, i had a graphic design class that the teacher and all the brainwashed spoiled little annoying shits drooled over there ohhh so much better then you stupid pc, macs ....

I like the mac its got a clean and simple interface, works smoothly and rarely crashed on me. Now the biggest thing i always here is the mac is so much better then pc for graphics and ive used photoshop for both and there is no *significant* difference. Now i choose pc over mac for many reasons, mainly price, programs and the fact that if u know what your doing, a pc is limitless.

but everyone is different, i think your standard email, web, music, pictures, editing, would love the mac. people that like to download weird stupid little programs here and there and just what i call "mess around" would like the pc better.

Well... had a HP laptop die on me, one year and a few weeks old. Should have gotten the extended warranty I guess... But at the same time I feel fucked over since it's a well known design flaw (related to the power supply) that HP just doesn't want to acknowledge.

Using my father's laptop this semester, but I'm really thinking about getting a mac since the whole PC bs is pissing me off. All I really use my computer for is 1) papers; 2) internet browsing; 3) downloading & playing music/movies. So if a mac can do this without getting me pissed off in the process then sign me up smile.gif

Then again as far as I know ASUS assembles all Apple laptops, so I might just want to get a higher end ASUS (same price as mid range Apple)...

This is kinda a pet peeve of mine, Macs are PCs >.< . But in any case I prefer to use Windows, I probably would use Linux if I was less lazy. I don't like Mac PCs because they lack customability (is that a word?). I really don't like any factory built PC, it is always better to build a PC from the ground up. It's cheaper and feels more personal. Edited by kbCorruption

I have a desktop PC and a macbook pro. PC is for gaming, mac is for audio production. It also helps that the mac is portable - PC notebooks are a joke. However, the PC has been in the OFF position a lot lately since I got a PS3 and do 100% of my gaming on that now.

• 2 weeks later...
I personally feel that Macs are extremely overrated. Anything that a Mac can do, a PC can do as well. Besides, you're going to pay two times more for a Mac than a PC. If you ever have the opportunity to build your own PC, DO IT. I recommend it compared to buying a pre-built system. You don't have all of the BS that manufacturers add to the system, and you have complete control of what you put on it. Building a PC is FAR less complicated than people make it out as.

I will say that Macs do have their place. They are pretty neat, and my sister loves hers for what she does (she's going to SCAD for interior design) on a computer. I will also add that Vista is a pain and was a mistake for such an early release. I stick with XP.

As for upgrading, a PC is much easier. There are so many options out there, and all you have to really know is how to install the part in the case and install the drivers. You can install different OS's like Linux or even, GASP, Leopard (with some work).

I built the PC I'm on right now for under $1000 shipped complete with a 22" monitor, keyboard, mouse, triple-core processor and an AMD/ATi 4850, something you would definitely have to pay extra for in a normal store bought PC. I don't have to worry about going to an Apple store or talking with customer service from, say, HP.

In conclusion, I feel that PC has more advantages than a Mac, especially in the cost department. That's just my personal opinion.

I'd really like to answer Linux, but I'm still too much of a lazy boy to bother with it. Got it on my laptop but on my desktop I run Windows, primarily to play games. I've done the whole Mac thing for a bit, but it pissed me off that I couldn't change and upgrade components as I went along, but rather had to take whatever Apple fed me (shouldn't I feed myself apples really?). 

I know that Windows got tons of security faults and Vista is a crappy OS, but hell, atleast it's compatible with stuff from the start AND I can change components without any fuzz. It's not like protecting your computer is the hardest thing in the world either, as long as you care to figure out how your machine works.

QUOTE (Ebzen @ Feb 11 2009, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd really like to answer Linux, but I'm still too much of a lazy boy to bother with it. Got it on my laptop but on my desktop I run Windows, primarily to play games. I've done the whole Mac thing for a bit, but it pissed me off that I couldn't change and upgrade components as I went along, but rather had to take whatever Apple fed me (shouldn't I feed myself apples really?).

I know that Windows got tons of security faults and Vista is a crappy OS, but hell, atleast it's compatible with stuff from the start AND I can change components without any fuzz. It's not like protecting your computer is the hardest thing in the world either, as long as you care to figure out how your machine works.

With free AV, I have NEVER had any problems with malicious programs, and this thing has been to the darkest corners of the intrawebz. And no one writes viruses for Macs because they don't spread well, but if a hacker wants to get into your Mac, he can and will. OSX has security flaws too. It fares no better against a focused attack than a Windows or Linux PC does.

Oh and I agree with you about the Vista thing (XP + WindowBlinds = Amazing!) Cross you fingers for Windows 7, I hear good things. Edited by kbCorruption

Actually, you can change components on a mac. Nowadays, they're really similar to a regular PC. I've upgraded the RAM and the Hard drive on my Macbook (which is about as much as you can do on any laptop), and I have to say it was pretty easy - it's all explained on the apple support pages, and consists of taking of the battery, 2 screws and pulling a lever. And closing again biggrin.gif. I'm not going to get sucked in this discussion though (that seems to be everywhere), I'll just say I have 2 desktops (1 Ubuntu, 1 Win XP), a macbook and a laptop with Vista. Let me just tell you one thing - I tend to stay *very* far away from vista xD

• 3 months later...
QUOTE (freeOS @ Jun 9 2009, 07:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Linux; hence the username.

All operating system CAN be free.

I just recently switched to a mac with OSX and love it! I can't stand pc anymore. BUT, the college I go to is a Windows based college and a lot of things are not compatible. I was about to turn in the mac for a pc until my dad told me about dual boot.

I didn't know how to set up a dual boot, but at our last family get together, my cousin came and he is a computer type of guy. I told him about my situation and he set me up with dual boot and antivirus for windows in a matter of an hour or two at most. He also set me up with an almost complete version of Office. The only office program I know of that I am missing is Sharepoint.

QUOTE (Sherwood @ Jun 11 2009, 11:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (delSol_si @ Jun 9 2009, 09:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
All operating system CAN be free.

He didn't pay anything for the OS or office software and neither did I.

That's not free, exactly. That's stolen.

My thoughts exactly. pirate.png

My biggest problem with stealing software is that the user becomes accustomed to not worrying about the messed up prices the corporations are charging for the software. Price becomes less of an issue. That 'steals' some of the value away from my Linux arguments. If people had to equate $200 for Vista and $350 for Office 2007, Linux would look less intimidating.

QUOTE (freeOS @ Jun 11 2009, 12:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My biggest problem with stealing software is that the user becomes accustomed to not worrying about the messed up prices the corporations are charging for the software. Price becomes less of an issue. That 'steals' some of the value away from my Linux arguments. If people had to equate $200 for Vista and $350 for Office 2007, Linux would look less intimidating.

This is true. However, I still don't believe linux is ready for home users. I tried letting some of my family run ubuntu and they were lost, and that is *uber* friendly linux.

They shouldn't make OS so damn expensive. What does a license cost them? Next to nothing. I agree that it cost a lot in R&D and they should be compensated for that, but I think they take it too far.

Main reason I hate Windows is because it always fucks up, and on top of that, they are just playing a game. First, they will come out with a badass OS, then they will come out with some fat bloatware POS OS and convince everyone they HAVE to have it, shove it down our throats, make it so it is THE ONLY thing you can get, and then once everyone is converted, they will come out with yet another new OS that actually runs properly and then convince everyone again that this is the best version and they must have it because of all the flaws with the last version. BULLSHIT!

At least with OS X 10.5 it was an OK OS, not a total piece of shit. 10.6, just by the numbers, the proven specs and features, actually does provide tons of improvements.

Windows 7 upgrade: about $170 for "Ultimate"
OS X 10.6 upgrade: $29 or $49 for a family pack (5)