• Pc
    • Linux
    • Mac and Pc

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've used both extensively...

Mac computers are, overall, much easier to use and more functional.

That being said, Apple, like many other software developers I could name, like to decide how you use your computer for you. Download the program Startup Monitor and just see how many applications like to throw in little mini-apps that work in the background because the developers think you're a moron.

PCs are much more customizable and tweakable for those of us that know just how we like to work and play on our computers, and that's why I find that they are, at least for me, better.

QUOTE (D-Rock @ Sep 3 2008, 11:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
PC with Windows/Ubuntu dual boot. Windows for games and programs like Photoshop, Ubuntu/Linux for websurfing and online purchases.
Great combination for diversity and security, PC ftw!

yeah i got that same set up, im still working on geting some of my drivers to work right on ubuntu though.............

QUOTE (gaia.plateau @ Sep 4 2008, 04:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
PCs are much more customizable and tweakable for those of us that know just how we like to work and play on our computers, and that's why I find that they are, at least for me, better.

i totally agree with that. and besides; macs are for pretentious artsy fartsy types (just my ipinion, no need to get all offended).

I currently own both. I like how easy the mac is compared to the pc. I use my Mac more.
Depending on what you really want to do with your computer will matter some as well.
I use my Mac for music stuff and for art.
My Pc is just strickly used for work and some web surfing.
I believe a PC can be tweaked a little more than a mac.
They both have pros and cons. Edited by waterboi

I owned a ibook before this crazy fad happened.
I love seeing new mac users who have no idea how to use one.

That being said, I feel that macs come a little faster (stock) than PCs (stock).
If you need a laptop/computer for school/entertainment get a cheap HP.
Macs aren't worth it, especially if you're a poor student.

I have used both extensively and prefer mac to pc by far. I used to build Pcs and i used to buy Pcs, they had crashing issues. Also there is not good, stable video editing software out for pc that is as powerful as final cut is. I know some people are going to argue that that isnt true, but let me ask this: when a movie companies choose final cut over everything else i think they are onto something, esp. considering they have spent millions of dollars on their projects they dont want it all to be wasted because of software. In terms of useablility. Mac is much easier. I used Pc's for about 17 years and then the day i got my mac i used it for about 3 hours and then tried to use my pc again. PC's are hopelessly less responsive and intuitive than macs are. As for the people saying that PC's are more customizable than mac's i dissagree on that as well. I can point you to about 10 websites that all they do is sell parts for macs. Anyway, thats how i feel about it.

They both have there own pro's and con's depending on the individual using them, for me personally I like to keep both around. Gaming is next to impossible with a Mac as far as I've determined so I keep my PC around for that, on the other hand I love to do my Music editing and video editing on my mac. Therefore I vote they are dead even depending on what your needs and uses for your computer are.

Personally, PC will always win. First off, it's more customizable. If you lock it down properly, it will run and run and run and run. I've had this stable XP partition for going on 2 years. Before that I liked to do more experimenting so reformats would happen often. Now that I have this stable setup, it seems like it will never quit. For security, nothing so far has surpassed ESET Nod32 antivirus and firewall. Not. One. Thing. Linux is fun to dabble with here and there. I love the OS just for its control level, server features and ability to customize it. It still has a lot of quirks though. Flash internet sound doesnt work on my Ubuntu build and I've deployed every trick in my arsenal to get it. Otherwise, I'd be purely Linux at this point. WINE takes care of most of my Windows Apps quite well.

PCs win every time hand down, as long as you know what the hell you're doing.

(unless you're a graphic designer (i'm smoking a few hookahs with 3 of the right now)) you don't have a need for a Mac unless you're just trying to be trendy or you don't know what the hell you're doing with a computer.

I mean if you own a mac, yay for you. But I think they're overhyped, over priced, and generally nothing more than a pretty looking package/case.

- some if not most of Mac owners are pretentious and that's because they don't know anything they just believe they're awesome because of the BS apple feeds them. On the other hand people who know how to use PCs properly and own macs aren't pretentious because they bought the mac for a reason, not because they were sucked in by marketing.

- Apple prioritizes their stuff way too much, if you want to do anything, it's just through them and only through them. Unless you know enough to do it yourself....but then, you'd probably just own a PC (too).

- Apple patronizes their customers "it just works" and "just pick a color, we'll do the rest" they act like people buying their products don't know anything beyond pretty colors and native apps. Which most of them probably don't.

I can run my PC better than any mac with less crashing and I can produce exactly what a mac produces, as long as I'm not lacking knowledge in the area, I know a lot but I don't know everything.

Plus, bet the Mac fanboys didn't know this. Mac's have more security flaws than XP or even Vista at almost double or triple the number. I've got the article around here somewhere.

But to cool all the mac boys (the ones who don't know what they're doing) off I am against pre made PCs as well. Not saying you have to build it by hand but customize your options and don't buy it from a big box company.

Well, I have a mac laptop and I love it. However, I also have a desktop PC which I also love. I bought my mac because I do a lot of photography and aperture is great for me.

I mainly use my desktop for games and...well, that's it. It's pretty much just a game console. haha I've used desktops my whole life up until last year so I know how to use them but, really, my mac can do anything I need on a daily basis that my desktop can so my mac gets used a lot more.

Anyway, I say, if you can do it, run both. It's just easier.

I voted Mac, I just got a MacBook this summer for school and it's just so much easier for me to use.
I'm not really into gaming so that doesn't really play a part, and the little picture editing that I have done has been a lot easier on my Mac.

I can definitely see how gamers and people who like to customize would prefer a PC, but for me Mac just makes more sense.

QUOTE (liquidglass @ Sep 11 2008, 01:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But to cool all the mac boys (the ones who don't know what they're doing) off I am against pre made PCs as well. Not saying you have to build it by hand but customize your options and don't buy it from a big box company.

I dont have a clue what Im doing on a computer or whats going on inside. Macs look sleek (I have a black macbook), run everything I need to and hasnt crashed on me in a year and a half (Knock on Wood). I dont video edit, I dont do photography,
but it gets the job done for me. I do record music occasionally, but I could probably do it on a PC.

And this wasnt suppose to be a, OMFG!!!!!!!!!!5!!! YOOR A DUMBASS MACS FTW LOLLERSK8S!#$(#*$!!! post, Im admitting to being a fan boy and not knowing what Im talking about, Ive had to wipe my PCs hard drive at home multiple times, My mac seems to run faster and more reliably then my PC ever did. Maybe my problem was I did buy it from a big box comapny, but the Mac ran better out of the box for me.

Not quite sure what I like the most. I've used mac, windows and linux for a long time. Currently only using my laptop (didn't bother to bring my stationary when I moved out) and I'm running Linux Mint on it. I don't use my computer for games or video-editing or the likes anymore, so it suits me perfect. For "normal use" I think I'll have to go with Linux. But as a all rounder I'd chose Windows.

Ive used linux, windows, osx.....

mac hardware and pc hardware....

my personal opinions

the best looking interface- mac

most functional - linux

most compatible - windows

best performance, linux EXCEPT most games have to be emulated to run messing up the performance anyways so, windows

Hardware, i run quad core sli with duel 8800 gtx's 8 gig ddr3 ram a nice audigy sound card and 2 terrabyte hdd space (4 500 gig) now ive installed all 3 OS's on here at different times (yes even mac with many difficulties) and i am really loving ubuntu but for every day use windows really takes the award.

How much would this hardware cost to get in a mac if its even possible? im no expert on mac hardware........

Steve

It all depends on what u use it for, depending on the uses both work very well, hate viruses get a mac, but many programs dont run on mac just yet, patches are coming out let me know if u got any other ?s i work at bestbuy computers for years, so lemme know pce