Hookah Clogged Or Something Help Please

Hey guys, so i just bought a new hookah and smoked out of it once and then next time i went to smoke it i couldn't pull any air through, i believe i set everything up right and i cleaned it after i smoked. Could anyone send me suggestions on what im suppose to do or anything that could help. Since i've only used it once. I almost think that the air valve balls are rusted shut.

Thank You to anyone that can be some assistance.

FrankieBaby

Yeah, most likely you've got a rusted/clogged valve. Take off the hose port (should screw off) and wiggle the ball around till it comes loose. Happens all the time, just hit it with some sandpaper and you'll be fine.

If that's not the case make sure your hose isn't clogged or kinked, that happens now and then as well. That's about all it could be really...

Unless it is a Mya or other high ticket hookah, there shouldnt be any ball bearings in it. Look where your hose plugs into the stem, if you can see straight through there isnt a ball in there ( and there most likely isnt supposed to be one). Problems with drawing are most commonly related to an overpacked bowl, or a hose that has fractured and blocked itself.

If the tobacco that you are using has alot of molasses make sure that the head is able to be drawn through. After you load the bowl blow through it (from the bottom) if there is no air coming through that will be a problem.

Take the hose and try to blow through it. If you cant there is a block in it. This has happened to me alot with the cheap hoses that commonly come with hookahs. If that is the case you are out of luck for that session.

Assuming the block is in the hose, and not in either end (if it was in the ends it would be glue the seeped in during production. then the hose wouldnt have worked at all the first time smoked through) you can replace the actual hose with tubing.
Here is a few how to threads:
http://www.hookahforum.com/?showtopic=24192
http://www.hookahforum.com/?showtopic=20407

when you washed the hookah did you use anything like baking soda? I remember one time I was cleaning my hookah drunk, bad idea, and baking soda got clogged in the heart where the hole goes to the hose port because I didn't rinse it out well enough.

I worked with Frankie yesterday in chat and here's what I got out of it:

The stem is not clogged - he can blow through the top of the stem and feel air at the bottom of the stem and a flashlight test (flashlight at the bottom, look through the top to see any obstruction) confirmed the stem is ok.

The hose is not clogged - he can blow through the hose not connected to the hookah and get air.

He says it is a non-removable hose port. I'm not familiar with anything but mya and cheap knock off, but my stems all unscrew for ease of use.
He says there is a bar midway up the port that holds the BB in. Unlike my mya, there is no screw to undo to pull the bb out and sand it/clean it.

I advised him another long soak in baking soda, and an attempt to stick something (pipe cleaner/stem brush) in the hole through the heart and try to poke the bb out a little. Unfortunately, if the bb never comes out, it's difficult to wash, so hopefully a good baking soda soak will do the job.

I also gave him the lighter tick (heat the port and it will expand quicker than the ball allowing it to come loose) however none of us really wants to take a lighter to our hookah, so that's a "last ditch" effort.

Hopefully we hear back soon!

• 10 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In the hose port or the purge valve? If so, I would try to poke it out with a piece of wire or something like that?  I'm not sure if we can post pictures here now but a picture of your problem would make helping a lot easier.

Let us know if you got it fixed.