Question About Acclimating

Just acclimate the whole batch. Either lay down some foil and spread it out or if you have a glad container just leave the lid off and stir it every could hours.

• 4 weeks later...
ok, so basically i just need to worry about tangiers and the rest should be ready to go out of the tub. Kinda confusing because im reading many different views. Some say acclimate it all, others say its brand dependent, which is probably true. Perhaps ill just experiment. Try one bowl un acclimated, then acclimate another bowl and compare. Once my orders come in and i experiment ill let yall know how it went

You should be able to tell whether your shisha needs acclimation or not. If it smells right (and by right I mean like the box suggests) theres no need for acclimation. I've had tangiers that was good straight from the package, and some that needed to acclimate for long before they smelt right.

hmm, so go by smell. If the box says "apple" and it smells like apples then it should be good to go, but on the other hand it smells like...something other than apples then i should acclimate it. I don't mean to be stupid or anything, just don't want to ruin my shisha is all.

I understand, and this is confusing when you're new to it. Shisha that needs acclimation often have a "weird" smell. It's not like Tangiers Watermelon smell like Tangiers Orange Soda, and after a couple of hours the soda-smell has turned into watermelon smell. Usually it will smell vaguely like the flavor the box suggests and also more of a soy-ish flavour. That's usually been my experience, at least.

QUOTE (Balthazar @ Sep 26 2008, 01:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I understand, and this is confusing when you're new to it. Shisha that needs acclimation often have a "weird" smell. It's not like Tangiers Watermelon smell like Tangiers Orange Soda, and after a couple of hours the soda-smell has turned into watermelon smell. Usually it will smell vaguely like the flavor the box suggests and also more of a soy-ish flavour. That's usually been my experience, at least.

Can anybody explain the chemical compounds that make acclimation necessary? It's very intriguing, I've never run across it myself.

Nicotine is hygroscopic, it "takes" water molecules from its surroundings. Considering humidity is the amount of water vapor in the air, yaddy yaddy yada, acclimate the Tangiers so it is in equilibrium with the surroundings.

Why only Tangiers and not other unwahsed shisha? Eh, dunno.

-QM

QUOTE (QuiltedMaple @ Sep 26 2008, 01:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nicotine is hygroscopic, it "takes" water molecules from its surroundings. Considering humidity is the amount of water vapor in the air, yaddy yaddy yada, acclimate the Tangiers so it is in equilibrium with the surroundings.

Why only Tangiers and not other unwahsed shisha? Eh, dunno.

-QM

Nice explanation! Thanks! I guess it does make sense then...

Nakhla needs it too on occasion. It really depends on how much change is happening from day to day or from where the tobacco is shipped to where you are. Between here and San Diego, where Tangiers is made, the humidity is pretty similar as well as the temperatures. I can get away with acclimating for only a few hours, but I choose, usually, to acclimate a new batch over night, just in case.

i try to acclimate my tangiers constantly. like my K-Cherry container has a crack in the lid, so it is always the same humidity as my house. it won't hurt it at all to keep the container non-air tight - in fact, it helps tangiers.