Almost Got A Disorderly Conduct For Hookah

QUOTE (TigerLord @ Aug 26 2008, 08:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The USA is one of the most constipated, close-minded country I have ever set foot on.

You really want to risk jail, or WORSE, getting your beautiful Hookah confiscated?

Parents that called are the same parents that run corrupt MPAA, RIAA and other *AA associations. They have no understanding of the World except their own little circle of beliefs.

Move on.

I rarely, rarely post here, but this kind of post is unacceptably ignorant. You are going to call the USA closed-minded after we just watched the Olympics where the Chinese trampled all over human rights?

You are going to compare the USA to Dubai, where a couple was arrested for making out on a beach recently? Or perhaps African countries who participate in female genital mutilation, because they believe women shouldn't find pleasure in sex? India sure isn't closed-minded; they only kill Christians in their country. That's nothing compared to America, right? Where campus police act like idiots?

You are an absolute egg head if you think the USA is closed-minded compared to countries who don't allow freedom of religion or right to free speech. I've read some dumbass stuff on here, but man. I can only hope this internet America-bashing fad ends when Bush is out of office.

/rant off. Sorry for the hijack.

Maybe I'll post again in a year.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kinda sucks that your one post a year is a negative one - I agree though.

Maybe some positive contribution next year?

Riv it's 1 hour by my time untill you're set to meet, it sounds like you have a great chance at success, and that you're handling the whole thing extremely well, glad to see that we can come together as a community to stand up for what we believe in and give a brothah some help and advice.

Must update asap! Nice one with the family connections btw lol Edited by giant ninja robot

the countdown is 33mins...and damn do I have the butterflies.

I was unable to find a ride to the store to get a recorder and the reporter still hasnt been in to catch my message...it is predicted she will be in sometime this evening since it is a print night...but damn, I'm nervous, haven't been able to eat yet today. I still have my mind set on everything and am still holding ground all the way.

One good thing though. I checked my shipment last night for the two kilos of tangiers dif. flavors, it was supposed to come tomorrow, but now it says it is coming today. So when this is done with, I get to relax into some new flavors.

Wish me luck, I feel like I need it.

The meeting went very well, but all is not over.

I met with the two officials and received a warm welcome. Two men entered the dispatch area, one about 70(head of public safety and police) and the other about 55(lieutenant in charge of investigations). Immediately with a smile they shook my hand and introduced themselves as well as thanked me for coming.

We went to the conference room and began talking in a very civil matter...you'd think we were a bunch of buddies out for tea and politics. They addressed the issue in the manner they have studied it from. I was not doing anything wrong or breaking the law, however when there is a complaint against anything, it is disorderly conduct and has to be dealt with. I responded, "ya, I could be sitting in the Oak Grove reading a book on Hitler, someone of Jewish decent could walk by and not like it, call the cops and I have a disorderly conduct. Or I could be sitting out, reading Barney, and someone who thinks Barney was a pedophile could see me reading it, takes offense and calls it in, again...disorderly conduct. I did my research on the matter and it is a law just, isn't right. The university should adjust their policy towards it because this could cause a lot of issues in the future, like it did just now for me and I'm sure has for others. Having something like this just wastes the time of law enforcement officials when they could be dealing with something serious like theft and assault. I do feel that something like this is harassment. I was sitting there, minding my own business, not doing anything at all, and then all of a sudden, I am targeted, heckled, and threatened. This is why I contacted you rather than being anarchic or going straight to the news and ACLU. I wanted to be civil, get answers and give some answers." Well, they really did appreciate the way I had decided to handle things and how calm and understanding I have been.
However, throughout the half hour meeting, it kept looping into that their balls were pretty much in a vice because of the code of disorderly conduct. The lieutenant is gonna investigate further into the law and what he can do for me and the head is going to go to head of student affairs and bring it up with them. They told me that they really never had a problem with hookah, ever. If I went out right now and set up, they dont have a problem with it, but if someone calls and complains, that is where the problem is. This is why they have to work more with the university on it, because they do not want to tell me I cant, and they do not want to have to issue according a ridiculous outstretched law. I am really proud of the way this was handled by them. They worked with me 100% the whole way, as much as possible. I actually pulled out some Jewel and Kamal and they were intreged, the one actually considered for a moment my offer for him to smoke sometime(he smokes cigars). I fully educated them on hookahs, from how they worked, to the entire history that I know of back to the origins in India.

At the end, they still said, "I have no problem with you going to the Oak Grove to smoke, but I would rather that you wait a little while till I take this up with the university because I do not want you to be arrested for disorderly conduct. Again, as I explained, you are not doing anything wrong, but when someone complains, we have to uphold this law."
I then proceeded to ask him if he minds, since this will be handled by student affairs, if I talk to the student paper, The Penn. "Not all, by all means, go ahead." Me, "Do you mind if I tell all one what had occurred here in this meeting? If I just tell them soley about what transpired in the Oak Grove, it will bring a very negative opinion and atmosphere. I wish to bring it to The Penn to hear the student voice, and not just a one sided one, whether its in my favor or not. This student voice would help the campus on the decision as well possibly put pressure on them to move on it." The Head, "by all means, that sounds like a wonderful idea."

At the end, I gave him my email and phone number to keep in contact and give me status updates. I have a feeling its going to be a few weeks to a month till I really hear anything (unless The Penn speeds things up) because the student affairs deals with a lot of issues and is usually pretty backed up.

Afterword, I went to The Penn and spoke with someone there, I'm not sure if she was the editor or what. Her name is Rachel. I was directed to her yesterday by the secretary. Anyway, I told her all that had transpired and asked if they could help. Well...she did get the note from me and she has been reading HF because I linked her here. Someone will be in contact with me next week(they are printing at the moment and busy).

So, now things are looking more to the positive, my stomach has stopped churning, and I at least know that the campus police is as evil as they had the rumored reputation to be. I will be updating this thread every step of the way.
If I re-read later and notice I left anything out...I'll post.

Sounds like things went as well as could possibly be expected. Let's hope things don't get muddled in the details! Sucks that you are being asked not to smoke in the meanwhile but at least the ball is rolling. Congrats and hoping the ball stays rolling.

Wow, this story is really exciting to read. At the same time suspense.

Love the way you put your dialogues together. Sigh, few have the knowledge of hookah. I wish I could travel to the ARABS and Amsterdam (Well you know what Amsterdam is good for, hehehe).

Thank for this true story of yours. It has enlighten me at some point about the rights of hookah. wink.gif

Man you have made great developments with the university and I wish there would be a quicker resolution since I really want to know the outcome of all this however it is understandable since universities are always cluttered with so much annoying red tape. But anyway I applaud you for your effort to gather answers without being too rash and all. Good work man and keep us updated.

The cops around my school are usually cool about it. I did get a complaint once, same kind of situation..two cops came up, one didnt know what it was so he was questioning me about it, but the other cop explained to him what it was. He seemed to be fascinated with how good/weird sex on the beach smelled, and even took a puff of it :-P But then again, this is florida, I could have been naked and he wouldnt have cared as long as I covered up with a fig leaf when someone complained.

It was funny, the younger cop was the one who didnt know anything about it, asked if I was eighteen (smoking on a college campus) and if it was NHT, the old guy was like of course hes eighteen its a freaking campus and had to explain everything to this guy in his mid twenties :-P

QUOTE (srawas89 @ Sep 5 2008, 01:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Man you have made great developments with the university and I wish there would be a quicker resolution since I really want to know the outcome of all this however it is understandable since universities are always cluttered with so much annoying red tape. But anyway I applaud you for your effort to gather answers without being too rash and all. Good work man and keep us updated.

Thank you, I appreciate it. And will do. Every step of the way I will be back to this thread to update.

QUOTE (Exano @ Sep 5 2008, 02:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The cops around my school are usually cool about it. I did get a complaint once, same kind of situation..two cops came up, one didnt know what it was so he was questioning me about it, but the other cop explained to him what it was. He seemed to be fascinated with how good/weird sex on the beach smelled, and even took a puff of it :-P But then again, this is florida, I could have been naked and he wouldnt have cared as long as I covered up with a fig leaf when someone complained.

It was funny, the younger cop was the one who didnt know anything about it, asked if I was eighteen (smoking on a college campus) and if it was NHT, the old guy was like of course hes eighteen its a freaking campus and had to explain everything to this guy in his mid twenties :-P

lol at the nude fig leaf. Thats pretty cool how they dont abuse the disorderly conduct code there, and that the older one knew...yet alone took a puff.

So, I may have not been contacted yet by the paper, but I think I will be soon...I think they may be building up to it. I just read yesterday's edition of The Penn and there was an article on "The Hookah Trend"...labeled as tobacco waterpipe smoking, working its way into hookah and facts about it.
I hope they call me soon.

As soon as I can get my 3 in 1 printer operating again, I will scan the article and post it up in here...

well, there goes my fight. sad day for me.

I just got an email(that was sent to all students) from the president of the university. Tomorrow starts Pennsylvania's smoking ban. All universities in PA will be 100% smoke free.

Pointless fight now. This is depressing, cant fight it at all because now I can't smoke there....damn.

I now have to check the law to see if it affects the general public, if it does then I'm stuck in my apt., if it doesnt, I have a few locations.
I talked to someone in class today that works for the student paper, and she says they still want the story. Now I'm gonna aim it as an injustice by the university since they KNEW this was coming, just wanted to silence me until further.

I'm going to get a lot of citations because I will smoke cigs when I please. The instance of this thread was me not wanting to risk losing my hookah...I'm not worried about losing a pack of smokes.

I feel for you man. California is about the most smokeless state in the union at this point. If you wanna smoke in a town you gotta smoke in the street realistically. Now this gives you a reason to set up little hookah parties in your apartment. Put up fliers and invite some ladies to the place. It's difficult (not impossible, hehe) to have your hose played with in a public square.

Its a shame though...these guys had to resort to dirty politics...

they pissed me off, I just may have to piss them off. call in and complain about the preacher(that should be disorderly for him)...call in about religious groups, frat sponsoring...anything....I'm going to tie up their cops. Why, because they wasted the little time I didnt know I had left to enjoy my hookah there....fucking pigs. I've been able to keep my cool, but shit like this, where people take advantage of my co-operation, just throws the cool out the window.

Maybe paper will call me, they are supposed to. Otherwise I will talk to the girl tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...