Km Diffuser

Wharbone

QUOTE (K1024 @ Nov 11 2009, 08:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Jeff_T @ Nov 10 2009, 11:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Made one a few weeks ago from a sample shampoo bottle with the top cut off and a gasket that was lying around. Put about 20 holes in it, so far its working great. Although I like the noise of the draw from the KM, I also really enjoy how quite this made it. Quieter than my QT and pull was not affected much at all.

the pull should actually be easier..

Wouldn't any type of extra filtering/diffusing create a little more restriction, thus creating a slightly harder pull?

QUOTE (Jeff_T @ Nov 13 2009, 04:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wouldn't any type of extra filtering/diffusing create a little more restriction, thus creating a slightly harder pull?

The key phrases here are "a little" and "slightly harder". I would say that a diffuser's effect on the pull of a hookah is negligible. I just recently put a Heba diffuser on my KM and I don't notice it at all, even with raising the water level about an inch. I've found this to be the case on small and large hookahs alike. The only thing you'll notice is slightly bigger clouds and an almost silent hookah.

I couldn't get my diffuser to fit over the huge flange on the downstem of my OG Trimetal without modification, so I just cut two 1/8" slits in it, and it slid right over. I love this hookah even more now biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Jeff_T @ Nov 13 2009, 02:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Made one a few weeks ago from a sample shampoo bottle with the top cut off and a gasket that was lying around. Put about 20 holes in it, so far its working great. Although I like the noise of the draw from the KM, I also really enjoy how quite this made it. Quieter than my QT and pull was not affected much at all.

it increases the surface area...thus blah blah blah decreases the pull. idk im to tired to explain correctly.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (K1024 @ Nov 13 2009, 09:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it increases the surface area...thus blah blah blah decreases the pull. idk im to tired to explain correctly.

That's pretty much what I was getting at. Don't know why the pull would be easier, or where that comment was coming from. It doesn't affect it that much, but you can tell the diff between having the diffuser on and off the downstem.

I made that exact same diffuser the bottle and hole pattern looks the same and everything. The rubber grommet would be from lowes. Looks so similar i started to think i too those pictures.

I attempted that myself but although i just have a strait pipe i had to mcguiver the mcguivered technique already.
Just took my stem and fit it with nylon tubing the size below 5/8's i believe. in order to create a wider base for the bottle to fit and then just poked hole and tada!
How it looks like by itself
Side

Top/bottom

Stem with nylon tubing

Final product

QUOTE (Jeff_T @ Nov 24 2009, 01:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (K1024 @ Nov 13 2009, 09:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's pretty much what I was getting at. Don't know why the pull would be easier, or where that comment was coming from. It doesn't affect it that much, but you can tell the diff between having the diffuser on and off the downstem.

heba diffuser (courtesy of hookah-shisha.com)

ok so you see how the heba diffuser is, it slips onto the hookah then has holes all around including the top right? that means that you break surface tension of the water and then it bubbles up through those holes, via the smoke being less dense then the water. so the force that your pulling against is still the same force that was there before.

I'm not a physicist so i took this to a few friends and asked them, and they said i was wrong about it making the pull easier. it in fact does not make it any harder though, as long as you aren't "maxing out" the diffuser. basically keep the diffuser low enough below the bottom of the down stem that the smoke doesnt go out of the very bottom, thus removing the chance of restricting the air flow because of the diffuser.

QUOTE (Riktar @ Nov 30 2009, 12:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

where as this diffuser will affect the pull, if it at the bottom of the stem. if the bottle was further up the stem then it would be the same case as the heba diffuser above.

So then an ideal diffuser, if using a bottle, would be to place it a little further up the stem, maybe an inch or 2? Still having it fully submerged though, correct?

I tried it yesterday with my girl and to be honest, we did notice a bit more flavor, i don't know if it's just the placebo effect but i didn't want to say anything until she tried it and she noticed it. As far as the pull i don't sense a difference honestly, then again i can't hear the bubbles so i'm thrown off by how much i should pull LOL. and the fact that my hose is a bit wider than my old traditional hose so that probably has something to do with a easier pull.

I'll give that idea a try tho since the tubing is adjustable i'll just move it up a bit and secure the bottle a bit higher and see how it smokes..

QUOTE (Jeff_T @ Dec 1 2009, 02:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So then an ideal diffuser, if using a bottle, would be to place it a little further up the stem, maybe an inch or 2? Still having it fully submerged though, correct?

yup

QUOTE (Riktar @ Dec 1 2009, 08:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I tried it yesterday with my girl and to be honest, we did notice a bit more flavor, i don't know if it's just the placebo effect but i didn't want to say anything until she tried it and she noticed it. As far as the pull i don't sense a difference honestly, then again i can't hear the bubbles so i'm thrown off by how much i should pull LOL. and the fact that my hose is a bit wider than my old traditional hose so that probably has something to do with a easier pull.

I'll give that idea a try tho since the tubing is adjustable i'll just move it up a bit and secure the bottle a bit higher and see how it smokes..

hey if it worked good for you i wouldnt change it. to be honest, the difference in draw that would be there should be pretty small anyways.

My Heba diffuser didnt really fit on my KM cafe, I had to make 4 little slits in round rubber hole in order to slide it on with more ease, but all in all, a heba diffuser will fit on a KM :)

Im gonna pick my pipe up today from my friends and then smoke it out, I just got a Phunnel bowl thru the post today, so im very keen on trying that out :P Edited by Cheng

The diffusers I tried so far work, it shuts up the rumbling but I like the noise.
It didn't affect the pull that much but It was harder than before, other than that I did not feel any difference so Id rather smoke without it.

• 1 month later...
I dont know why you guys are going through all the trouble of making your own Diffusers for your km's because the heba diffuser DOES fit the bottom of a KM absolutely perfectly. Honestly it fits so nice it looks like it was made specifically for it. It takes a little effort but once you get it on its golden. I didnt cut anything all i simply did was put a little effort into it by forcing it over the flange at the end of the downstem and it looks beautiful!!! If anyone as any questions on how to do this get at me but it works with the Bigger of the two heba's.

[quote name='J Hunta 696' date='24 January 2010 - 09:32 AM' timestamp='1264343539' post='447420']
I dont know why you guys are going through all the trouble of making your own Diffusers for your km's because the heba diffuser DOES fit the bottom of a KM absolutely perfectly. Honestly it fits so nice it looks like it was made specifically for it. It takes a little effort but once you get it on its golden. I didnt cut anything all i simply did was put a little effort into it by forcing it over the flange at the end of the downstem and it looks beautiful!!! If anyone as any questions on how to do this get at me but it works with the Bigger of the two heba's.
[/quote]

Also the best reason i could come up with of why the heba diffuser is SOOOO amazing is that the big giant bubbles are slower to rise to the top of the water as opposed to the tiny little one which make the pull much easier and effortless in my eyes.

[quote name='J Hunta 696' date='24 January 2010 - 09:49 AM' timestamp='1264344576' post='447422']
[quote name='J Hunta 696' date='24 January 2010 - 09:32 AM' timestamp='1264343539' post='447420']
[/quote]

Also the best reason i could come up with of why the heba diffuser is SOOOO amazing is that the big giant bubbles are slower to rise to the top of the water as opposed to the tiny little one which make the pull much easier and effortless in my eyes.
[/quote]

Here are some pictures to show the beauty of this thing on my KM! Enjoy

I just picked up the rubber piece that is in the first post from lowes and had to mess with one of those plastic shampoo bottles to get it to "grip" the ridge but after i got it on it smokes AWESOME..... much less noise, easy pull.... cant say the smoke is any different but it is a movie watchers dream....

[quote name='J Hunta 696' date='24 January 2010 - 08:32 AM' timestamp='1264343539' post='447420']
[/quote]

not all km downstems are the same......the large fits on my exotica, but not my trimetal. (Oh wel; i bet you didnt use force,.....Yes i did)
Get it?

All in all the original point of this thread looks great, ive done something like this with a sahara pipe i had years ago.

[quote name='b1acktigress' date='01 February 2010 - 12:07 AM' timestamp='1265011668' post='448856']
will a diffuser make it healthier or less healthy, Theoretically your filtering hot gas, through plastic. Or is it cool, enough already to not be harmful. Also, as it diffuses more into the water, does it get filtered more.
[/quote]

the plastic part of the diffuser should be in the water, so theres no real worry there. it does make it healthier theoretically. its hard to really tell without having a lot of fancy equipment, but it makes the smoke bubble coming out of the hookah into many tiny bubbles, thus increasing the surface area of each bubble. more surface area=more contact between smoke and water=better filtration.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
nice thread I didn't like the idea of using a shampoo bottle because of the prior soap. But similar is size was a 5 hour power bottle. i found that putting holes only at the bottom and about half of an inch up the bottom was better because the air would only come out the top holes and not use the entire bottle so with he holes lower you can put them deeper in the water increasing the their contact with it.