Black Light

Hey all,

My session take place in my basement, where a couch is placed in a corner room as well as the hookah. Since theres no light that reaches that room, I purchased a black light today. Does anyone know if the smoke will glow if we get the smoke to be cloudy and snow white? If it does, I think this will increase the experience in each session tremendously, plus its freaking cool xD Anyone ever think about doing this?

i disagree with you there big boss. anytime i've encountered a black light, anything white has "glowed". not necessarily glowed like a glowstick, but the white has always been highlighted.

so blacklight-smoke away thomas, take pics (without a flash) and let us know!

QUOTE (garykainz @ Aug 16 2008, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i disagree with you there big boss. anytime i've encountered a black light, anything white has "glowed". not necessarily glowed like a glowstick, but the white has always been highlighted.

so blacklight-smoke away thomas, take pics (without a flash) and let us know!

Liqiud white-out won't glow. Not everything that is white will glow. It depends on the surface, if the light can reflect or if it is absorbed. Still, I doubt it'll work but it'd be hella cool if i was proved wrong wink.gif

I've tried this, but it was with a blacklight from the 70's that has a giant bulb and spews out tons of unfiltered UV rays. Just looking at it makes you feel like you have cataracts. The smoke didn't look any different, wasn't glowing or illuminated or anything for me. It still is very cool to smoke in the blacklight, though biggrin.gif

I have a 48" blacklight and I can tell you with 100% confidence that smoke does not and will not glow. The reason whites glow from clothes and some paints is because bleach (and some paints) has phosphors in it to make those whites "whiter than white" in the sun (which has a combonation of regular and UV light).

So unless you exhale phosphors, it's not possible. I have been looking at things to safely get glowing smoke but so far nothing has come to light.

QUOTE (darkone253 @ Aug 16 2008, 04:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a 48" blacklight and I can tell you with 100% confidence that smoke does not and will not glow. The reason whites glow from clothes and some paints is because bleach (and some paints) has phosphors in it to make those whites "whiter than white" in the sun (which has a combonation of regular and UV light).

So unless you exhale phosphors, it's not possible. I have been looking at things to safely get glowing smoke but so far nothing has come to light.

I do that everyday

Yeah, I've smoked with a black light before too and the smoke simply isn't solid enough to glow from a blacklight. It's a shame, but that's just how it is. Still, might be cool to try smoke bubbles or something... I doubt it'd work well either, but it'd be fun to do anyhow.

QUOTE (chromecarz00 @ Aug 16 2008, 06:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
strange, mine always glows, every single time ive used it...perhaps your smoke isnt thick enough?

ooooh you have been called out!

i have always thought that regular lights work best i dont know how you can stand to hang out night after night in a purple glow. it would drive me fckn nuts

A lounge near me at home has blacklights only (a bit annoying) and all it does to the smoke is just highlight it a bit purple and that's about it. Doesn't really glow like white clothes do under the light.

• 3 months later...
Sorry to reply to such an old topic but, no, smoke won't "glow" (fluoresce). However, the UV torches usually put out some strong visible cobalt-blue light, which will make just about anything light up, smoke included, though it isn't fluorescing. If you want a show in your smoke, get a laser pointer, add one of those tips that makes a shape, and shine that through the smoke.

If you can get over the nasty taste (or if you like it) let some tonic water go flat and put that in your clear base. If the glass doesn't cut the UV, it'll glow blue if a blacklight is nearby and the room is dark. Tonic water is 'tonic' because it contains sulphate of quinine, which is fluorescent.

Flat tonic water is also a good way to make glowing bottles - fill old (liquor or other interesting) clear bottles with it, and line them up near a blacklight. For variety, yellow-green, (to a lesser extent) green, orange and (even less) pink Hi-Liter markers can make other colors of fluorescent liquid - soak the felt ink reservoir from inside in water and strain - though I wouldn't smoke through this stuff. I doubt it's toxic, but still...

i can tell you that there is a very popular afterhours club here in toronto (which will remain unnamed in this post) that has no lights at all except for blacklights everywhere. everyone's white t-shirts would glow but smoke does not.