Adhesive

ara_ups

2 part epoxy... but get the kind designed for high heat applications cuz that wont put off any toxins

If you need to glue it, I second the epoxy. Mix a little at a time though, you don't want to make too much and have it dry too fast. Even 10 minute epoxy dries way to fast for most projects, so 5 minute is probably not a good idea. Prefit everything and clean it before you glue it.

And if you can find it, there are some adhesives designed for water piping and the like, and are safe for food and drink, but not sure about the heat. There is also a lot of argument over how hot a stem gets during a drag. I personally don't think they get hot enough to cause a problem, but I'd recommend the epoxy over a pipe adhesive.

Can you explain better what part broke off and how? A picture would be even better. You probably can't have it welded (or soldered), but you could probably drill and re-tap the hole and buy a new stem or maybe an adaptor for your current stem.

It would be metal right? Is welding a feasible option?

If you want to go with epoxy, search for 66525A21 at http://www.mcmaster.com/

I'm not sure how expensive epoxy typically is, 1.4oz for USD 15.11 does seem pricey. But, it is foodsafe. As long as its towards the bottom of your downstem (ie, not near the coals), I don't think it'll be anywhere north of 293°F.

QUOTE (kudomonster @ Aug 9 2008, 05:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A cheap method that will hold you over is electrical tape. I have some all weather stuff and it's keeping my QT stem together, I haven't had to replace the tape yet and it's been a week!

nice idea man thank you. I've been hookahless for about 1.5 weeks waiting to borrow some jb weld from a friend and ive got electrical tape right frickin next to me! Now if only i had coals lol.

JB weld in particular the original not the quick is a superior metal to metal glue/filler. and it can handle heat.
It is runny at first so I would put something in the shaft that can be removed when it starts to set, just to be sure the passage is left unobstructed.. Edited by daidhaid