Canon

What is your religious views?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you fit in?

• Judaism
    • Christianity
    • Islam
    • None of the above

I grew up as a christian and im at that point in my life that i believe everyone goes through, ive been doing research over islam for a while (2-3 months) and it seems to make alot of sense, i havent looked at judaism at all because atm i believe the old testiment covers it but im sure im missing something there.

what do you guys think? where do you fall and why do you believe what you believe?

if you dont fall anywhere then you can add to this aswell but this topic is not intended on proving whether or not God exists. I want to increase my knowledge on the Abrahamic religions.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

none of the above

...I'm on the edge of agnostic, but my ties lay closest to paganism and shamanism.
I follow my father's footsteps...I take a little from every religion and put into my own path to what lies beyond

I have looked at a lot of religons and at the heart the basic tenants are the same The rituals are different. But not by much. This includes the big three as well as Buddhism, Hindiuisn and Hare Kristshna as well.

At the heart they are all the same. Every religon is divided into different sects that interpret the texts and tenants differently. But the core value is always the same.

To me they all lead to the same place, yet each travels a different path to get there. Since the destination is the same I can not reconile the notion that there is any one "true" religon. Or that any religon is better than another.

Go where you are called.

Muslim.

Canon if you're interested in Islam and would like to speak to someone about it your always welcome to PM me.

That invitation goes out to everyone else as well.

At the same time, I hope no one is offended by my offer. I'm not trying to disrespect any of you.

Religion is such a sensitive topic, and rightfully so. It should absolutely be treated as such.

southern baptist. i wasnt raised it so to say, i was more religious then my parents and chose to go to church, i moved onto alot of churches looking for the best one and the right views of christianity but never really found the right one. my original church was a southwest baptist church where i went to when i was 2-9 then i stopped going then i went to a church of God from 12-14 then i went to another baptist church then moved back to my original church for a year then i went to a church of christ for about a year, then i stopped going until 2 years ago where i went for about a month. since then i havent been to church.

when i went to florida to visit snoopy we talked about religion and thats where i learned that islam was similar to christianity, it took me by suprise so i decided to look into islam and to me islam makes alot more sense then christianity but it still has areas that confuse me. i guess its because christianity allows you to get away with more then islam

QUOTE (Canon @ Aug 3 2008, 12:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
when i went to florida to visit snoopy we talked about religion and thats where i learned that islam was similar to christianity, it took me by suprise so i decided to look into islam and to me islam makes alot more sense then christianity but it still has areas that confuse me. i guess its because christianity allows you to get away with more then islam

How so? If you feel that you'd be happier as a Muslim I won't rock your boat. I'm just curious about that last sentence. Getting to the original question at hand. I consider myself a Christian, specifically LCMS (Lutheran Church Missouri Synod.) I grew up in religious family and attended private (aka Lutheran) schools my whole life as well. When I was 17 or so I turned my back to all religion and considered myself something like an spiritualist that did not believe in any god. I have since rediscovered my faith and at the same time kept a little bit of my spiritualist side. I've experienced too many things not to have a spiritualist side but thats another story for another day. Like I said earlier, if you feel like you'll be happier as a Muslim, I won't rock your boat.

QUOTE (Big Boss @ Aug 3 2008, 04:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Canon @ Aug 3 2008, 12:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How so? If you feel that you'd be happier as a Muslim I won't rock your boat. I'm just curious about that last sentence. Getting to the original question at hand. I consider myself a Christian, specifically LCMS (Lutheran Church Missouri Synod.) I grew up in religious family and attended private (aka Lutheran) schools my whole life as well. When I was 17 or so I turned my back to all religion and considered myself something like an spiritualist that did not believe in any god. I have since rediscovered my faith and at the same time kept a little bit of my spiritualist side. I've experienced too many things not to have a spiritualist side but thats another story for another day. Like I said earlier, if you feel like you'll be happier as a Muslim, I won't rock your boat.

being a christian theres nothing you really cant eat, you can pray whenever you want but theres no requironment on prayer, you go to church 1-2 times per week, theres really no ritual you have to do to cleanse yourself before you pray or go to church, though alot of people wash up and put on a good pair of clothes. theres no dress regulations, just as long as your not wearing outright tempting clothes your fine, you can wear jewlrey if your a male (gold, silver). you accept Jesus and your saved, nothing can take that away except straying away from God and not believing anymore. or outright living a sinning life.
being a muslim you have to watch what you eat, you are strongly encouraged to pray 5 times per day, church i believe is 5-7 times a day but strongly encouraged on friday. you usually have to go to a Mosque to pray but you can do it at home/work, before you pray you have to cleanse yourself, same thing goes before entering a mosque. theres a strict (and debatable) dress code for women, when you are judged as a muslim your good and evil are weighed and your level of heaven/hell is then decided.
thats all the ones i can think of atm

I know you said you did not want to discuss the subject - as such. I dont really want to start a debate either.
But I am curious if what you are interested in is the ritualistic life that Islam offers or if you are really seeking stonger guidance in your daily activities?

Just curious - ignore the question if you like.

I'd just like to add though canon. you really didn't grasp True Christianity. most of the denominations you've listed are... in a nice way... out of reach from the true core of christianity.

QUOTE (mettalikatt @ Aug 3 2008, 05:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd just like to add though canon. you really didn't grasp True Christianity. most of the denominations you've listed are... in a nice way... out of reach from the true core of christianity.

I wish I actually knew what you guy's are talking about lol..I never really got into the whole "religion" deal.I have nothing against it but I feel that I am better off just staying away from it ya know.

Islam is called Deen, meaning in Arabic a complete way of life. There are reasons for everything you do to be a better person and help others and submit to God's words and not your own desires. Islam is complete, even how to use the bathroom. The stories of ALL Prophets are in the Qur'an, and even a whole Surah(verse) dedicated to Mary. The Surah Yusuf, still makes me cry when I read it.

When you pray 5 times a day, you have that awareness of God all day long. One prayer to the next you are thinking of the next prayer and all you did wrong between those prayers will be forgiven if you repent to God and sincerely pray for the sake of God and looking for forgiveness and help to be a stronger person.

QUOTE (pigpen @ Aug 3 2008, 04:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have looked at a lot of religons and at the heart the basic tenants are the same The rituals are different. But not by much. This includes the big three as well as Buddhism, Hindiuisn and Hare Kristshna as well.

At the heart they are all the same. Every religon is divided into different sects that interpret the texts and tenants differently. But the core value is always the same.

To me they all lead to the same place, yet each travels a different path to get there. Since the destination is the same I can not reconile the notion that there is any one "true" religon. Or that any religon is better than another.

Go where you are called.

I agree with "Pigpen". I am for lack of a better word listed under the term
"Ultra-Orthodox Jew". Not as in the Coptic,Assyrian,Greek,Russian or Armenian Christian
"Orthodox". (It sounds so boring and stifling!). We are Hasidim of the Chabad-Lubavitch group which is the largest Hasidic group . The main point of our belief is of course the literal written and oral Torah .In Torah G-D said when giving the Torah two words at the exact same time. "Guard" & "Remember". We are to Guard and follow all the laws and comandments and fulfill them, but also was said "Remember" which is the spiritual, mystical soulful understanding behind the law and doing it with joy.
I do agree with PigPen since we as Jews are forbidden to look for converts. By law if a non-Jew asks a Rabbi to convert, he must be told on three separate occaisions to vamoose! "Its dangerous if you lookat our history". "Its not what you were born as". Don't like your religion? Look into Islam, Hinduism, Jann, Christianity, friday-nite-bowling league. Each soul which is infinite is enclothed in a body at a particular time and space, her/his name is part of it's life source in this particular physical world.Mineral,Vegetable.Animal,human each build on the other taking the life-force of the former and if used correctly like in eating, the holy sparks in the food will be returned to their source in one of the infinite spiritual realms. There are 4 classes here, but there are also infinite physical worlds created and being infused with life force from G-D, he's not ancient,decrepid or on vacation in Toronto. So we do our job and the Hasidic approach is with joy, singing, dancing on every Sabbath (Saturday) and holidays,I stopped drinking, but the local beverage is vodka, since it is "clear", a glass of vodka will burn out the spiritual impurities, lift the feet dancing which can go on for hours along with the singing. But since G-D is Infinite He/She as One has infinite paths of service. Each person ,animal,plant and mineral was brought down with it's particular life-force in a particular time and space to do a task in joy which only it can do in order to put this world back together since we are partners with G-D. The "He" is the seminal Thought of G-D which Created the infinite worlds and the "She" is of course called in english "Mother Nature", the life force which constantly nourishes all creations so they will not revert to nothing ex nihilio. That being, nothing like smoking the hookah and contempating the simpicity of it all. In life its the same. If you need to buy an ipod and you paid the right price but were given a loaf ofbread, then someone is not doing his job. Or after buying a new expensive home from contractor with a guarantee for free workmanship up to ten years on your home, you otice a leak in the water system, call up the contractor and who comes to your door? A piano tuner. Yo would think, that is not the right person for the job. If in physical things this is true, the more so in spiritual truth. Look into existensialism, other ideas, people that you respect, read about or see online, set up the hookah while you think "Why am I here"? and more important :"What am I here FOR"? If you'll excuse me, I have to wash the dishes!

QUOTE (TizaNabi @ Aug 10 2008, 11:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We are Hasidim of the Chabad-Lubavitch group which is the largest Hasidic group . The main point of our belief is of course the literal written and oral Torah .In Torah G-D said when giving the Torah two words at the exact same time. "Guard" & "Remember". We are to Guard and follow all the laws and comandments and fulfill them, but also was said "Remember" which is the spiritual, mystical soulful understanding behind the law and doing it with joy

That's interesting, I've have encountered Baal Shem Tov's name few times when reading about Judaism. Are the Lubavich still in inner "crisis" about the messiah issue? I'm referring to Schneerson's status of course.

btw, hope you got my PM reply, it didn't show in my outbox so was little worried... Edited by diatonic

I'm an observant Muslim.

I wasn't always confident of expressing why I was a Muslim (born into it) but reached an intellectual appreciation a few years back. I accept the validity of the kalam cosmological argument i.e. I believe we live in a reality that had to be created by an unlimited Creator and am writing a book on it right now. Happy to discuss if anyone wants to PM me!

H

QUOTE (Canon @ Aug 2 2008, 07:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[. . .] what do you guys think? where do you fall and why do you believe what you believe? [. . .]

I'm a devout Catholic - or at least I try to be devout, though I oftentimes fall short.

I don't believe one's search for God should resemble shopping for your next purchase. While possible conversion and discernment require a great deal of research, it does not make much sense to base one's choice of religion on one's likes or dislikes (e.g., "I don't have time to pray five times a day, so I have to rule out Islam," sort of thing). If you accept that religion is man's conformity to God's will, then choosing the "right" one rests clear outside our preferences. Instead, we have to discern our calling: Where is God calling you? This approach, I believe, acknowledges the primacy of God's will in your search, and places subservient to that, your will, which may not necessary like where it lands.

Inasmuch as many religions celebrate the same virtues and aspire towards similar ends, each is different from the next. Each contradicts another in some way. It should be clear that it would be unreasonable to believe that God has instructed us through more than one religion, foremost because religions conflict. One religion must be right, or all must be wrong. That's the necessary conclusion; the dogmatism of most religions do not allow for their relative/partial acceptance.

Discerning which religion we're called to should respect these two brute realities: we should follow God's will; and that someone's got it right, or no one has it. . . Edited by judgeposer