Coal + Carpet = Trouble.

Long story short, we were smoking my hookah at a friends place.

His parents aren't home, so dudes weren't just drinking iced tea with their shisha.

One of the guys tugged on the hose to hard, the coal fell on the carpet.

These fools tried picking the coals (2) up with their hands, only to drop them again.

All in all there are like 5 holes in the carpet.

Because it was my hookah I feel kind of responsible, even though I wasn't near the hookah at the time.

He has patches of the carpet, so I was thinking of just taking really small patches and just glueing it into the holes.

Does anyone know a better way?

Depending on how deep the burn is, you can sometimes use a razor to scrape off the burnt bits and make it look as good as new (just slightly lower down than the rest of the carpet, but pretty much unnoticeable).

Option B: Cut out the entire section of carpet and gorilla glue a replacement section in its place.

This is what I was thinking.

The guy has a month before his parents come back so it's not like he has to rush.

what kind of carpet is it? is it that really fluffy stuff, or the real fine/close knit mesh?

either way, I have some great repair tips...just that the latter is very difficult.

1. Fluffy: You can graze off the top, if its not burnt all the way down, with something like scissors. Then, literally shave a section of carpet(take an electric shaver to a corner of the room)...after that, have "clippings" ready and put the very slightest of coating of candle wax on the clean/prepped region. Immediately put the fluffy stuff on the wax coat and hurry to work it in and mold it to shape...wala.

2. (also works for the stuff all the way down) Close Knit, "Short Hair" Carpets: Start off with sewing needles...pluck at the burns. This could take a while...at my old apartment, I sat for two hours just plucking. Pluck until the burnt coating is pretty much completely loose. At this point, you need to clean the hell out of the burns. My first time I hand washed with sponges and soaps and chemicals...barely worked...second run at it, I used one of those carpet cleaning machines(looks like a vacuum that has water tanks and chemical tanks) and it worked like a charm. After area is dry, slowly graze of remaining hard sections/black crispy areas. I say slowly because you can grave off too much and make life a lot harder for you on the repair. Once you have it down, cleaned, and grazed, you have some play space. Look at it, does it need more done. For my first set of burns, it discolored my grey/blue mix carpet. I mixed pen ink with toothpaste to dye it back(you can find carpet dye in stores those). Another time, the burn was noticeable, so I had to take some pieces of carpet from under furniture in a corner, and sew them in at a shaved down to size length. This is the point where you are in the clear and you can improvise.

3. Cut out the section and replace...if its not a huge area, you can take from a closet, or take the cut out to a carpet store and get them to match it and give you new.

I hope this all helps you...detailed carpet repair from burns are a bitch, they take a lot of time, work, and patience. My experience comes from being a college student who rents...dont like losing security deposits.
Any questions along the way, post away...if I dont get back to ya, shoot me a pm.

O ya, I managed to remember my methods with a jeigermeister hangover smile.gif

Def. Use a knife at first to get rid of the black burnt stuff and if the hole is noticeable use those extra sections of carpet to replace the burned holes... cut out around the holes and replace it with the extra carpet...depending on what the carpet lies on either use heavy duty staples or glue. (wood or concrete)

QUOTE (ilikemyusername @ Jul 27 2008, 12:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
in the future you can get a small rug for just such an occasion, been there, done that, 3'x3' rug is the best investment a hookah smoker can make.

yep, I agree. After a few of my friends knocked over the hookah and made some burns, I went to building 19 and picked up some mats for like 15 bucks, now when a coal falls, i picked it up calm and not freaking out, and just say ... Thats what its there for. And then keep smoking!

QUOTE (peterjmag @ Jul 26 2008, 08:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Depending on how deep the burn is, you can sometimes use a razor to scrape off the burnt bits and make it look as good as new (just slightly lower down than the rest of the carpet, but pretty much unnoticeable).

Go with option A I do it all the time

So since we're on the subject of carpets: I'm thinking of buying a new one to use with the hookah. Not going to spent much on it, it'll only be used to avoid marks on the floor (would love to get my deposit back when I move out). What I'm wondering is what material it would be best to get. I don't really care about marks, as I stated it will only be used when I'm smoking, but I would like something that isn't likely to catch fire or anything like that. I hear wool is good. Confirm/deny?

QUOTE (Balthazar @ Jul 27 2008, 01:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So since we're on the subject of carpets: I'm thinking of buying a new one to use with the hookah. Not going to spent much on it, it'll only be used to avoid marks on the floor (would love to get my deposit back when I move out). What I'm wondering is what material it would be best to get. I don't really care about marks, as I stated it will only be used when I'm smoking, but I would like something that isn't likely to catch fire or anything like that. I hear wool is good. Confirm/deny?

If I were you I would just buy some really thick carpeting so if a coal falls on it you have more time to leap into action

Been there, done that, it was a big rug though for the living room. My parents were once on vacation and I dropped a coal in the living room while watching a movie...i picked up the coals and placed them in the ash plate and tried to look for the holes lol..so glad the rug was more dark than bright, and the burn marks are only on the dark parts! phew no one noticed that yet.

• 2 weeks later...
you could always buy them a fashionable throw rug, and just tell them it was supposed to be a surprise, and when they ask why it's 2 feet off center in the middle of the living room sell them some fantastic story about the powers of feng shui... or do the smart thing, and still buy the rug, but spill a huge thing of hawaiian punch in the other corner of the room, and if they ask about the rug, tell them THAT's why... if they dont ask... well... dont tell Edited by Oneeyedziggy

Sweet Christ they tried to pick it up with their hands? Dude I almost had to have a skin graft because a 3k coal fell right into the palm of my hand and I didn't notice initially because the hookah was falling on me and another 3k was in my lap. I have some sick-ass pictures from that.

I recommend you cut the burned section out with box cutters (in a square) and have your friend take it to home depot or something and see if they can match the size and color.

1. sharp, precise, needlenose scissors
2. resolve carpet cleaner
3. brush and paper towels
4. vacuum cleaner

Get on your knees (or even better, on your stomach), and cut out all the burned carpet, being careful to cut just the burned tips. Try to leave some carpet underneath. One of two things is possible:

1. If the carpet is completely burned through, there is no fix. Someone take the blame, and chalk it up as a loss. Buying a section of similar carpet and "cutting and glueing" it into the spot where the burn was stands a 99.9% chance of being totally obvious because the carpet color/style might not match exactly, the grain may run different, or the new carpet will be brighter/cleaner and obviously patched in... in addition to being a major, major hassle (matching the carpet, buying a section, cutting to fit, glueing it, etc., etc.).

2. If just the tips of the carpet fibers are burned, then there is a fix. Cut all the burned tops off, then vacuum. You will miss some burned spots, so go over everything with the scissors again. The surrounding area will still look black/grey/burned, but it will be fine when you're done, so don't worry for now. Vacuum again. Now, spray the burned areas with resolve and work it in with a brush. Leave it for 5-10 minutes. Blot it completely dry with paper towels. Let it dry 10 minutes more. Vacuum. Vacuum the whole area again when completely dry. Should be good to go.

• 3 months later...
QUOTE (925.rose @ Nov 24 2008, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ohhhh that is really an aweful story!
I would freakout if that would happen to me. I have a natural fiber carpet and i would not be happy at all!
I hope you get rid of the damage.

That sounds like an advertisement, only one thought up by a mentally disabled middle-schooler. Hahahaha, so confusing...

QUOTE (AKammenzind @ Nov 24 2008, 08:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (925.rose @ Nov 24 2008, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ohhhh that is really an aweful story!
I would freakout if that would happen to me. I have a natural fiber carpet and i would not be happy at all!
I hope you get rid of the damage.

That sounds like an advertisement, only one thought up by a mentally disabled middle-schooler. Hahahaha, so confusing...

Yeah, I checked out their profile after that post...lol.

Good luck with the carpet deal, I'm sure that if it wasn't winter, you would have been outside to smoke? Right?

QUOTE (srawas89 @ Jul 27 2008, 08:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Def. Use a knife at first to get rid of the black burnt stuff and if the hole is noticeable use those extra sections of carpet to replace the burned holes... cut out around the holes and replace it with the extra carpet...depending on what the carpet lies on either use heavy duty staples or glue. (wood or concrete)

I know this is a girl thing but think individual false eyelashes. Get a silicon type glue, pour some onto a paper plate and dip each individual strand of fiber into the glue before sticking it into place. This way you're a lot more "artistic" as to the blending. Done right and no one will ever know - it will even survive carpet cleaning.

'Rani

go buy some vaseline. wait until about 20 minutes until your buddy's parents arive home. pull down your pants and apply the vaseline liberally to your asshole; wait for the rape which will then ensue.

• 11 months later...
QUOTE (hookah hippie @ Jul 27 2008, 02:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Balthazar @ Jul 27 2008, 01:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If I were you I would just buy some really thick carpeting so if a coal falls on it you have more time to leap into action

My friend tipped over the hookah today and I got a cupple burns on my carpet wallbash.gif