No Taste, Burnt Tobaco

Hi there, Im new, just found this forum. Seems like a realy nice place!

Im a total hookah noob. I smoked a few times in Tunisia and I really enjoyed it and i bought two Hookahs/Shishas, one bigger and one smaller. The problem is that I cannot get the good taste and the smoke that I want. It does taste alittle but it tastes mostly burnt.

I have read the New Pepole Faq and other faqs on the web, I have tried different setups but I still get a kind of burnt taste that doesnt even come near the hookah I smoked in Tunisia.

This is what I use:

Tobaco: Nakhla Tobaco - 2 apples - Probably a bit old
Coal: Golden River - Rould Quick Light 33mm bricks

What I do is take one QL and light it on the stove. Prepare the shisha by filling it up with tobaco, keeping it loosly packed. Put foil on top and make holes and the put the QL on top, to the side.

But when I start smoking I do not get a good taste, I get a few OK puffs in the begining then it just start to taste bad and the smoke is not thick at all. From what I understand you should be able to smoke for atleast 45 mins and the taste and smoke should stay nice, thick and tasty the whole time.

Sny suggestions?

If you're only using one coal, try splitting it into halves and place the halves on each side. With Nakhla in a Egyptian bowl, I usually use 2 33m quicklits on the edges.

Edit- you said the shisha may be old, which means it may be dry, try adding some honey to it to make it wetter Edited by ryno

QUOTE (ryno @ Jul 15 2008, 12:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you're only using one coal, try splitting it into halves and place the halves on each side. With Nakhla in a Egyptian bowl, I usually use 2 33m quicklits on the edges.

Edit- you said the shisha may be old, which means it may be dry, try adding some honey to it to make it wetter

Thanks for the replys. The tobaco could be old but it feals fresh, its nice soggy and jucy. I have this typ of bowl

Should I ues more than one 33mm maybe?

QUOTE (eggz @ Jul 14 2008, 06:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (ryno @ Jul 15 2008, 12:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Edit- you said the shisha may be old, which means it may be dry, try adding some honey to it to make it wetter

Thanks for the replys. The tobaco could be old but it feals fresh, its nice soggy and jucy. I have this typ of bowl

Should I ues more than one 33mm maybe?

If its burning you need less heat. That looks like a small Egyptian bowl. You don't have the coal on the middle of the bowl do you?

Hey I'm swedish to smile.gif
adda mig på msn om du undrar något... bamboocha_08@hotmail.com

I had the same problem until I got some fresh nice Nakhla Double Apple...

Use natural coals, they tend to give no flavor while quicklites give this chemically flavor..
Coconara and Cocobrics are the best...

The shiny side of the foil should be down, and use two layers of foil (both shiny side down)

Put ice cold water and ice into the bowl.

Make sure everything is airtight

Dont loosly pack it, pack it until everything is filled and there is tobacco on the edges..

Try putting the stem and hose into the freezer 15mins prior to smoking, this does a huge difference.

Dont put large shunks of tobacco but try to break it into smaller pieces.

One coal is usually perfect for me, i start it on one edge and rotate it around the bowl.

Around 25 small holes with a needle is enough (In a circular pattern) Edited by Loggan

QUOTE (Loggan @ Jul 14 2008, 04:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Use natural coals, they tend to give no flavor while quicklites give this chemically flavor..

The shiny side of the foil should be down, and use two layers of foil (both shiny side down)

Dont loosly pack it, pack it until everything is filled and there is tobacco on the edges..

Try putting the stem and hose into the freezer 15mins prior to smoking, this does a huge difference.

One coal is usually perfect for me, i start it on one edge and rotate it around the bowl.

Around 25 small holes with a needle is enough (In a circular pattern)

if its in bold DONT do it

ice and overly cold water can dull flavor

double foil is the dumbest idea floating around the fourm just use reynolds heavy duty foil

putting the hose in the freezer will just make it stiff and cause condensation in the hose therefore causing rust

that is a fairly tiny bowl. save yourself any future problem and buy yourself a bigger bowl.

Edit: I got a bunch. I can sell you one at a reasonable price. PM me if you are interested.

QUOTE (NickReppinThe909 @ Jul 14 2008, 07:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

double foil is the dumbest idea floating around the fourm just use reynolds heavy duty foil

putting the hose in the freezer will just make it stiff and cause condensation in the hose therefore causing rust

2nd

QUOTE (mattarios2 @ Jul 15 2008, 02:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

2nd

Thanks

I have tried as above. I just cant get the thick, nice smoke that I want. Maybe my choal is bad, seems like it gets cold even though I keep smoking. Edited by eggz

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (eggz @ Jul 15 2008, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (mattarios2 @ Jul 15 2008, 02:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

2nd

Thanks

I have tried as above. I just cant get the thick, nice smoke that I want. Maybe my choal is bad, seems like it gets cold even though I keep smoking.

I just got some fresh tobaco. I'll try It out tomorrow....

Make sure your holes on the foil aren't too big.

Like everyone else said, heat management is important.

Purge the old stale smoke by blowing into the hose.

When you put your coal on your bowl, put it on the outside, not in the middle, and rotate it slowly.

Never leave it standing at one spot, because that will cause the shisha to burn.

Also, don't add too much honey if you add any. I would recommend adding glycerin which is easily available at any pharmacy. Too much honey and you'll end up burning honey which isn't very enjoyable.

The ice thing, and cold and stuff is really up to you. If you are finding that your flavor is too harsh, add a couple ice cubes into the vase and this will cool down the smoke. It's all your preference really.

QUOTE (eggz @ Jul 14 2008, 03:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi there, Im new, just found this forum. Seems like a realy nice place!

Im a total hookah noob. I smoked a few times in Tunisia and I really enjoyed it and i bought two Hookahs/Shishas, one bigger and one smaller. The problem is that I cannot get the good taste and the smoke that I want. It does taste alittle but it tastes mostly burnt.

I have read the New Pepole Faq and other faqs on the web, I have tried different setups but I still get a kind of burnt taste that doesnt even come near the hookah I smoked in Tunisia.

This is what I use:

Tobaco: Nakhla Tobaco - 2 apples - Probably a bit old
Coal: Golden River - Rould Quick Light 33mm bricks

What I do is take one QL and light it on the stove. Prepare the shisha by filling it up with tobaco, keeping it loosly packed. Put foil on top and make holes and the put the QL on top, to the side.

But when I start smoking I do not get a good taste, I get a few OK puffs in the begining then it just start to taste bad and the smoke is not thick at all. From what I understand you should be able to smoke for atleast 45 mins and the taste and smoke should stay nice, thick and tasty the whole time.

Sny suggestions?

Try to pack the bowl NOT to the top of the bowl, but right beneath the ridge.

Put the foil on top, poke the holes, and then try to shake it up and down.

Coals should be on the outside, but the egyptian bowl seems small.

I disagree with some of the posts advising you against things.

1) double foil is fine if you dont' have heavy duty, it's all about preference, some people find that one sheet of regular foil tears too easily.

2) cold water/ice is fine, it never kills the flavor for me, however with a smaller hookah the smoke may still be "so hot" that it gets shocked when it hits the water.