Relatively New To Hookahs

Well Hello Everyone, I'm new to all this and i have some questions and i need advice but first i guess i'll tell you all my story of why I'm interested in Hookahs. Well I've only smoked it once and until recently i forgot about it until my girlfriend and i were walking through the mall and she came across one and thought they looked cool so I explained to her what they do and what not and we decided we are going to buy one. We want one with at least 3 hoses and relatively big to reduce the amount of carbon monoxide were exposed to. I was wondering if you guys had a personal favorite amongst everyone on this forum that fits my needs couse i would rather here it from experienced users rather than aimlessely buy one form the internet couse it looks like what i need. Also I've done alot of research on the amount of tar and nicotene you take in and how there related to smoking ciggs and stuff and me and my gf are against smoking ciggs so we were thinking to try that SOEX stuff but it doesnt seem to be favored on here....and If you all could do me a huge favor and list like your favorites brands of charcoal and alot of recommendations to get started out so i can sort through and pick the majority vote..I know im asking alot but it would be appreciated or you could kindly link me to a noobies thread lol.

the best i can say is watch the pages for a while, and you'll learn all this in notime. Check the review section and use the search engine alot. All of it comes up many times so you'll learn it all pretty quickly with a little digging. Enjoy the smoking you two.

yes search is key.

However you asked so i will answer. Asking someone what's the best is like asking whats the best car. To each is his own.However for coals 3 kings and Golden coals and very nice especially if your new. Easy to light. Impart no flavor that i can detect. And are relatively cheap. I personally prefer golden coals but hey its an opinion.

As for shisha. They are have their own qualities. Tangiers is not for the faint of heart as the buzz is meant to be fairly strong. I really enjoy al falker as i find the buzz very pleasant and flavour is very flavourfull. but read the reviews on that stuff. Soex isn't well liked here because it lacks flavour and the buzz. That being said i am actually in the process of moving to all soex, i don't mind the no buzz and the lack of flavour is ok (plus i can keep some real shisha for when i get really bored).

As for the hookah. Again is all preference. I'm a HUGE fan of smaller hookah's. I had a 26'' hookah and it was to much work to take anywhere, clean, easy to tip. But again to each is his own. Mya, and KM seam to be on top at the moment but you cant go wrong from hookah's from Social Smoke, or Hookah-Shisha. Having dealt with both of them I was never disappointed with either. As for 3 hoses. I personally think 2 is more then enough. For you and your gf. Its nice when smoking to put down the hose, engage in a conversation, take a break, eat in between smokes, take a drink etc... Also with most hookahs that have more then 1 hose, when smoking you must keep your thumb on the tip when not puffing so the other can take a puff. Unless it has the auto seal.

A good few days of reading and you'll understand most things. If not search. If still not then ask. We're all here to help biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Molson @ Jul 20 2008, 08:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yes search is key.

However you asked so i will answer. Asking someone what's the best is like asking whats the best car. To each is his own.However for coals 3 kings and Golden coals and very nice especially if your new. Easy to light. Impart no flavor that i can detect. And are relatively cheap. I personally prefer golden coals but hey its an opinion.

As for shisha. They are have their own qualities. Tangiers is not for the faint of heart as the buzz is meant to be fairly strong. I really enjoy al falker as i find the buzz very pleasant and flavour is very flavourfull. but read the reviews on that stuff. Soex isn't well liked here because it lacks flavour and the buzz. That being said i am actually in the process of moving to all soex, i don't mind the no buzz and the lack of flavour is ok (plus i can keep some real shisha for when i get really bored).

As for the hookah. Again is all preference. I'm a HUGE fan of smaller hookah's. I had a 26'' hookah and it was to much work to take anywhere, clean, easy to tip. But again to each is his own. Mya, and KM seam to be on top at the moment but you cant go wrong from hookah's from Social Smoke, or Hookah-Shisha. Having dealt with both of them I was never disappointed with either. As for 3 hoses. I personally think 2 is more then enough. For you and your gf. Its nice when smoking to put down the hose, engage in a conversation, take a break, eat in between smokes, take a drink etc... Also with most hookahs that have more then 1 hose, when smoking you must keep your thumb on the tip when not puffing so the other can take a puff. Unless it has the auto seal.

A good few days of reading and you'll understand most things. If not search. If still not then ask. We're all here to help biggrin.gif

Thank you very much molsen and we were thinking of a 3 hose because we have a friend who is investing in one with us...but ill definetly take all that you've told me and put it to good sue pretty soon ill be a regular lol Thanks Guys.

• 2 weeks later...
hey, i have a pumpkin hookah (12 inches i think) at the time i got it to hide from my parents since they were crazy about that stuff... it hits alright, but bigger hookahs give a lot thicker smoke and you can taste the flavor a lot better. I just ordered a 29" Mya Gyro so I'll let you know how that goes. As for coals and tobacco, I use three kings, they seem to work very well and I always smoke starbuzz... I love the flavor starbuzz has and the thick smoke. As for a buzz it doesn't deliver much but I don't care too much for getting buzzed. I just recommend staying away from Havanna tobacco.

I dunno, personally hookah is a good way to relax and hang out with friends, and a large part of the relaxing has to do with the nice head buzz. If you "researched" hookahs on Wikipedia, they tell you that it's worse than smoking cigarettes, but I am fairly sure that the way they conducted the study cited was having one (1) person smoking an entire bowl themselves. I am 100% sure I have never taken even 50 puffs off a single bowl with 2 people smoking, and they say the average smoke is 50-200 puffs. (I really wish it was.)

Frankly, if you don't plan on smoking more than, say, once a week, you might as well buy regular shisha. Herbal shisha tastes like crap most of the time, and smoking ANYTHING is bad for you anyways. Just grab some AF or some Starbuzz and puff away. It tastes 10 times better, and the buzz is enjoyable but not too strong for non-smokers. The other thing you have to take into account is that shisha doesn't have 300+ carcinogens purposfully added to it (like cigarettes). (Other good shisha brands: Laylina, Romman, and Fantasia. I wouldn't suggest Tangiers as it is the shisha with the highest nicotene and not for the faint of heart.)

As for coals: 3 Kings. Easiest to light, best taste of any quick-light, won't explode onto you.

Go for a hookah that looks the coolest to you and fits your needs. Brands to look for are Khalil Mamoun, Magdy Zidan, and Mya. Myas are nice because many come with acryllic bases so they are harder to break. Mya also is cheaper and has quite a variety. If you aren't opposed to getting a 2-hose, Mya sells one for 45$ and it has ball-bearings in the hoses so you don't have to worry about covering the tips with your finger.

Really, it's all up to what you want and what you like best. Happy hunting!