Salloum Moassel Reviews

mushrat

Post your reviews below for Salloum Moassel Flavours. Questions and comments should be posted in seperate threads. Non-review posts or parts of posts deemed not part of the review will be edited out by Mods. For ease of using the search engine, each review should start with:Salloum Moassel (flavour)

Salloum Moassel Strawberry:

Hookah: Mini Mya
Bowl: Small Phunnel
Screen/Foil: Reynolds HD
Hose: Social Smoke Washable
Coals: Coconaras
Base Liquid: Water

Appearance:
Small cut, dark covered in red dye
Smell: Slight Strawberry
Taste: Strawberry
Smoke: Average Clouds
Buzz: None
Duration: ~120 Minutes

Purchased From: hookah1.com

Overall: 7/10 Not a strong flavor, mild like some Layalina but with better staying power. Great smoke if you already have an after taste. Not the greatest, but you get what you pay for.

• 8 months later...
Salloum Egyptian Apple
Cut: Medium, moist
Hookah: 31" Syrian
Duration: 1.0 hour
Bowl: Tangiers Small Phunnel
Foil/Screen: double layer RHD
Coal/Amount: 3 Coconaras
Smoke: Thick
Buzz: none
Smell/Flavor: One of my favorite apple flavored shishas; mild anise -- nowhere near DA strength
Rating (1 to 10): 8/10

Salloum Grapes
Smell/Flavor: Very tasty, nice grape aroma and flavor. Given all of the difficulty finding a good grape (read: ketchup-y AF), this is quite a find.
Rating (1 to 10): 9/10. Highly Recommended

Salloum Mango
Smell/Flavor: Spot-on flavor. Finding a good mango shisha has been quest for me. I'm done, this is the one
Rating (1 to 10): 9/10. Highly Recommended

• 3 years later...
Salloum Plain 

Pipe: Small Lebanese dedicated black mu'assal pipe
Bowl: Wide and flat Lebanese 
Screen/Foil: Can't remember
Hose: Lebanese leather hose
Coals: 4 Razans
Base Liquid: Water

Appearance: medium sized, square-ish pieces, a few stems, VERY sticky, and black.
Nicotine: No idea.
Smell: Delicious. Sweet honey, molasses, raisin, prune, date, and fig notes. Makes you want to eat it.  
Taste: When foiled, really nice. Mild tobacco taste with lots of those sweet dried fruit notes coming through, especially if you exhale slowly.  When not foiled, those same notes are there but overpowered by the taste of burning tobacco.
Smoke: If prepared the right way (see below), small clouds are possible.  
Buzz: Stronger than Zaghloul, in my opinion
Duration: an hour? Not sure

Purchased From: Local shop

Overall: 10/10 when foiled.  So here's the deal.  You see everyone in the Middle East smoke this without foil, and I've had it that way too.  I don't like it.  The top layer burns and gets ashy, the smoke is very dry, you get a stronger coal taste, and a lot of the subtlety is destroyed by flavors of combustion.  Try putting foil on it, and it takes about 6 coals to get the wispiest of smoke.  However: mix it with 1 tbsp glycerine and/or 1 tbsp honey per 250g, zap it in the microwave for 10 seconds at a time, stir stir stir, and repeat until it's all warm.  You're then good to go for smoking with foil and can get decent smoke out of it without the burning flavor.  It's worth noting salloum comes in a ziplock bag inside the box, which THEN has cellophane wrapping surround the tobacco, so it's usually a bit more moist than Zaghloul even straight out of the box.

Salloum Bahraini Apple

Pipe:Lebanese dedicated apple pipe
Bowl: Slightly wider than normal Lebanese bowl 
Screen/Foil: Reynolds HD
Hose: Lebanese leather hose
Coals: 3 Razans
Base Liquid: Water

Appearance: medium sized pieces, like Nakhla DA but maybe cut a big smaller.
Nicotine: No idea.
Smell: Like Nakhla DA but with less anise.  
Taste: Comparing to the standard Nakhla DA, less anise, more apple flavor, maybe not quite as sweet, but a dryer, lighter smoke.  Very nice for those who want less anise taste.  Not as intensely sweet-apple spice as Rosanna Bahraini, but very good
Smoke: Medium thick clouds, like Nakhla.  
Buzz: Not noticeable, but I wasn't hitting it constantly as I had 4 pipes in rotation tonight. I didn't get the impression that it was that heavy though.
Duration: Who knows. I put on a second round of Razans but then there was an accident and the coals went flying. Was fine at the start of the second round though.

Purchased From: Hookah1

Overall: 9/10. Not as sublime and entrancing as Nakhla DA nor as sweet and engaging as Rosanna, still a very nice, relatively light smoke.  Recommended for variety.  Comes in a cool (heavy plastic) jar, too, which is nice.