Ingredients To Make Shisha

Hey all, i was just reading some of the discussion forums after a few attempts at making my own shisha, and I had some questions that maybe someone could answer? In making shisha, I used American spirits rolling tobacco, which were really thin strips of tobacco, not the thick cut that most shisha is made out of. But when it came time to sweeten and flavor it, I used fruit, honey, and vegitable glycerin. I tried mango and berries and stuff, but none tasted very good, took a long time to light, and once lit produced thin smoke. I know I may have used to much honey or too little glycerine, but thats not my question, I guess my main question is, can one use flavored syups to sweeten the shisha? I mean, when you smell shisha, it smells like artificial flavors(especially flavors like Coca cola and other odd flavors) but I know that syrups contain fructose, or some form of sugar(glucose etc.) and someone told me that you cant smoke sugar, that is why you have to use honey or molasses to sweeten the shisha, it is all natural, unprocessed sweetener. That seemed odd to me, but i know homemade shisha would taste way better if you could add a little of that artificially flavored syup like that snow cone syup you can buy at walmart and stuff? Just wondering if I can indeed use those kind of syups to flavor my shish? thanks.

QUOTE (wtrujillo @ Jun 10 2008, 04:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just wondering if I can indeed use those kind of syups to flavor my shish? thanks.

you could certainly try it, but i would boil it down to make it more concentrated, and thicker. then add that mix to my very well DRIED tobacco, so that the tobacco itself sucked up as much flavor as possible, ten i'd let it dry some more, THEN add honey, glycerin, molasses and the like

QUOTE (ilikemyusername @ Jun 10 2008, 04:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (wtrujillo @ Jun 10 2008, 04:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just wondering if I can indeed use those kind of syups to flavor my shish? thanks.

you could certainly try it, but i would boil it down to make it more concentrated, and thicker. then add that mix to my very well DRIED tobacco, so that the tobacco itself sucked up as much flavor as possible, ten i'd let it dry some more, THEN add honey, glycerin, molasses and the like

Thanks, and yea, the tobacco is very well dried, I just didn't know if you could smoke syrup with artificial flavors as most recipes I have seen say to use fruit to flavor the shisha. Its just that fruit goes bad even in the presence of heavy honey coating, and within a day my homade didn't smell bad, it just didn't smell good either. I just know that when I smell other shisha, it smells like artificial flavors, never like real strawberries or real mangos.

QUOTE (ilikemyusername @ Jun 10 2008, 09:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
like i said, you could TRY it, whats it gonna hurt?

I dunno much about grocery store extracts and such, but most of them are made for high temp (cooking). Also, check out places like homebrew (beer/wine) shops as they often have a very good variety of artificial flavorings. They're also made for use in boiling hot wort (beer before the yeast gets to it and turns it into beer), so I would assume that it's just fine for making shisha.

Honey=sugar (mix of fructose, glucose, small amounts of sucrose, and other obscure sugars)
Molasses=sugar (mix of fructose, glucose, sucrose, and other obscure sugars)
Glycerin=alcohol
You should be fine to smoke sugar based syrups, but I wouldn't make them the main component.