Your Ideas On Using Exotica Coals

Hey guys I just got my first order of exotica coals from Neil yesterday and I love how they look and feel. I just haven't perfected using them on my phunnel bowl yet so I made a thread.

first off: Breaking: They seemed difficult to break but I just put one end on the table and tapped it with a tack hammer a few times and got a clean break. But I was only getting about 3 pieces out of each stick.

So the question is: how many do you break a stick into and how do you do it?

secondly: I packed my phunnel bowl with some SB last night, did the bulls eye pattern with the mod and once without.
1 stick (in 2 halves) and 1/3 of another stick

WITH the 1/3rd it was Too harsh
Without it, i wasn't getting enough smoke/taste

any opinions?

lol at bjelder, I was considering getting some Cocos next time, but I wanted to try both and make a fair judgment on which I like better.

Yeah I considered using a serrated edge knife, I think I might do that.

3 quarters on a med or large phunnel bowl, really? Hmm I may have been doing something wrong with heat management b/c it wasn't working for me last night

QUOTE (SimplexCoda @ Jun 4 2008, 12:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When I used exoticas i would take my tongs and score all sides of the coal and break it into quaters. For a regular bowl I would use two quaters, but for a funnel maybe 3.

+1 thats how I've always done mine and havent had problems. I would also suggest giving coconaras a try too, but I myself prefer Exoticas

well guys that's what i'm doing right now

Med phunnel with 3, 3rds. and it's working great so far. I guess I just messed up last night, or the mod may have had something to do with it, I don't know. Just glad it's working now wink.gif

Yeah I do the serrated knife trick on 2 sides and then break them into 4 pieces. When I break into 3 they seem to get a little outta hand with the heat.

Welll you had to figure at least one coco fan boy would pipe up tongue.gif

As to how to use them - same as everyone else. Use a knife score in teh brick so you can break into 1/4's. Job done biggrin.gif

I've got a few photo's in the potion review threads showing how i place them on my everyday standard egyptian bowl.

JD

i break a 4th off on the counter using leverage and my hand...

then i start the remaining 3/4 piece. when its hot, i just use tongs to break it into 3 pieces so i have 3 1/4 stick pieces.

I originally used a hammer to tap it a bit and got equal thirds, but a little sawing and taping and perfect fourths. I think I'll stick with that.

I didn't realize the mod made it difficult to manage heat, hmmm. Well last night was my first time with my glass mod, before then I had been using my foil DIY mod and it seems to work ok.

I think when I use them with a mod I'm going to use my windcover for more heat.

But tonight, I used 3, 1/4th pieces and got great smoke, only (good/bad) problem was that my shisha wouldn't burn lol I could get some flavor but I sat there for 2 hours and still had plenty of fresh in the bowl. Going to have to try it again, always something new to learn with hookah

QUOTE (liquidglass @ Jun 3 2008, 11:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey guys I just got my first order of exotica coals from Neil yesterday and I love how they look and feel. I just haven't perfected using them on my phunnel bowl yet so I made a thread.

first off: Breaking: They seemed difficult to break but I just put one end on the table and tapped it with a tack hammer a few times and got a clean break. But I was only getting about 3 pieces out of each stick.

So the question is: how many do you break a stick into and how do you do it?

secondly: I packed my phunnel bowl with some SB last night, did the bulls eye pattern with the mod and once without.
1 stick (in 2 halves) and 1/3 of another stick

WITH the 1/3rd it was Too harsh
Without it, i wasn't getting enough smoke/taste

any opinions?

Score them with a knife and then just break them off in your hand, it is really easy to crack them when they are scored and you get perfect cracks as well. I use 4 pieces per stick, 2 pieces for a regular bowl and 3 for a phunnel, just sit them on the edges of the bowl.

QUOTE (voski @ Jun 4 2008, 12:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
saw it into 4 pieces and use two placed on opposite ends. Add another if you need it. Buy coco-naras.

Yah coconaras are better, but I don't know if they are 6.50 a box better. Coco's 84 pieces = 14.95 ~ 17.8 cents a coal. 25 exotica sticks, 4 pieces a stick, 100 coals = 8.50. = 8 and a half cents a coal, exoticas are even less than half of what coco's cost.

I mean I will too probably be switching to coco eventually, but exoticas are damn good for the price.

QUOTE (liquidglass @ Jun 4 2008, 01:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
lol at bjelder, I was considering getting some Cocos next time, but I wanted to try both and make a fair judgment on which I like better.

Yeah I considered using a serrated edge knife, I think I might do that.

3 quarters on a med or large phunnel bowl, really? Hmm I may have been doing something wrong with heat management b/c it wasn't working for me last night

Well its nice that coco's are pre shaped, BUT, it is also nice that you can make the coal whatever size you want w/ exoticas, that way you can customize and tweak the perfect amount of heat.

I lay three sticks side by side on the brick hearth in front of my fireplace and score them into fourths with a miter saw, then break them up and toss em in a ziploc bag. Usually I do a whole kilo box at a time, that way I only have to vacuum up one large dust pile once every few weeks rather than getting bits of charcoal on the floor every time I smoke.

QUOTE (Ehorizon @ Jun 4 2008, 02:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I lay three sticks side by side on the brick hearth in front of my fireplace and score them into fourths with a miter saw, then break them up and toss em in a ziploc bag. Usually I do a whole kilo box at a time, that way I only have to vacuum up one large dust pile once every few weeks rather than getting bits of charcoal on the floor every time I smoke.

I find when you do that, it makes the coals crack and split on you more often than if you only score and crack them when you are having a bowl.

If all of the coals are sitting on eachother in a ziplock bag, and are always clunking against eachother it makes the coals weaker IMHO from experience.

QUOTE (mattarios2 @ Jun 4 2008, 12:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I find when you do that, it makes the coals crack and split on you more often than if you only score and crack them when you are having a bowl.

If all of the coals are sitting on eachother in a ziplock bag, and are always clunking against eachother it makes the coals weaker IMHO from experience.

This could be my problem..I broke up about 4 sticks and now that I think about it, only the ones that I broke up days ago are breaking while ashing.

QUOTE (mattarios2 @ Jun 4 2008, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Interesting....I haven't noticed any more cracking or splitting since I started breaking up a whole box at a time, but now I'll watch for it. Thanks for making me paranoid wink.gif

Actually, I just got three new boxes of Exoticas today; I'll try both my method and just cutting what I need for a session for the next month and see if there's any difference. Offhand, the only thing I can think of that would cause more cracking/splitting (other than banging the full ziploc around; mine just sits on a shelf on my tiki bar) is the increased surface area in relation to the exposure to air and any local humidity. If you are in Mass. mattarios2, I know from experience how much more humid it is there compared to here in Colorado, so maybe the local conditions can affect the coals.

Hmm glad you brought this up because I was thinking about doing that too lol.

But if you wanted, you could just use small sandwich bags to store the coals 3 (1/4th pieces) per bag for each "session" it would probably keep them from bashing into one another wrapped up so small and it's like Coals to Go! in a handy hour lasting pack.

Actually I might do that wink.gif Buy some exoticas, make them into 4ths, wrap every 3 pieces into some plastic wrap and sell them on here as "Exoticas to Go!"

One more question guys, how many exotica quarters would you use for a med phunnel bowl of tangiers? 3 like always?
I've got some tangiers and just haven't had a chance to really spend some time getting it ready and smoking it, want to get it right the first time.