Only Top Of The Shisha Burns

Ok so i've looked around and all I found was to let the coals sit for a few min to heat the entire bowl. But even when doing that, and rotating coals every 10 min or so, only the top of the bowl burns. I take off the foil when using tangiers and 1/4th of the bowl is stuck to the foil which is fine, then everything in the bowl is still perfect. What do I need to do to get it to all burn entirely? Or do you guys just scrape off the burnt shisha on the foil, and then add a little shisha and refoil and use some new and old tobacco for another bowl?

I want to be able to just throw on coal after coal but it seems it burns the shisha stuck to the foil and nothing under it burns b/c of the way you have to pack tangier's.

Any advice? Should i just pack it down and not let it push against the foil? B/c i thought you should do that w/ tangiers.

Thanks

QUOTE (Exile @ Jun 3 2008, 04:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you always do that method? Or only with a phunnel?

Do you only use one coal to cover the holes that are made?

And lastly, if the shisha is getting stuck to the foil wouldn't that mean when i rotate the foil the burnt shisha stuck to the foil will follow with the holes as I turn the foil? Seems like it wouldn't make a difference b/c the prob is the tangiers getting stuck to the foil from the nature of its packing method.

QUOTE (HKJON @ Jun 3 2008, 04:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
definately do not let the the tobacco touch the foil. The Mya bowls seem to work best.

Hm, so now i'm being told to not let the shisha touch the foil. I am thinking eternalsoil is gonna come in here and start screaming, IT IS OK FOR THE SHISHA TO TOUCH THE FOIL!!!!

I'm pretty sure it's fine and it is supposed to touch the foil with tangiers. any shisha can touch the foil w/o a prob in my experiences, it's just that it starts to stick and burn eventually and then you can't get the good tangiers at the bottom.

QUOTE (mattarios2 @ Jun 3 2008, 01:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And lastly, if the shisha is getting stuck to the foil wouldn't that mean when i rotate the foil the burnt shisha stuck to the foil will follow with the holes as I turn the foil? Seems like it wouldn't make a difference b/c the prob is the tangiers getting stuck to the foil from the nature of its packing method.

I only use it on special bowls... Bowls that I don't want to burn....

I use 2 finger coals, one over the holes.

Don't worry about the shisha getting stuck to the foil, just tweak your heat management. A few drops of water on burning shisha works wonders. Edited by Exile

QUOTE (Exile @ Jun 3 2008, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (mattarios2 @ Jun 3 2008, 01:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I only use it on special bowls... Bowls that I don't want to burn....

I use 2 finger coals, one over the holes.

Don't worry about the shisha getting stuck to the foil, just tweak your heat management. A few drops of water on burning shisha works wonders.

I'll have to give it a try, but

back to as if I were packing tangiers normal, and about 45 min - 1 hr into the session the shisha starts tasting funny b/c its stuck to the foil, what would you do?

I was told you no longer need the tangiers to sit the way it sits in the jar and you don't need to over pack it anymore w/ the new formula of tangiers. Does this mean I could possibly just pack it like you would pack fantasia, light and fluffy and then push it down so it isn't over the top of the bowl?

QUOTE (liquidglass @ Jun 3 2008, 01:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
so the tailing method works? I might have to try that

as far as the drop of water on the shisha, wouldn't that just evaporate in a second

It does work. Its tricky to get it just right, but you can notice the difference.

No, the water does not evaporate. 3 or 4 drops on top is sufficient.

QUOTE (mattarios2 @ Jun 3 2008, 01:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
back to as if I were packing tangiers normal, and about 45 min - 1 hr into the session the shisha starts tasting funny b/c its stuck to the foil, what would you do?

Well I'd do some coal management, move the coals to the outer rim of the bowl. Blow into the hose to blast out the burnt smoke. If that doesn't help, try the water drops.

So basically since im letting the coals sit for too long the shisha burns in the same spot and then becomes stuck to the foil. If I want it to not stick I need to move the coals around more often than every 10 min. How often do you move yours? Every couple min?

Thanks again guys, I'll give all of this a go tonight.

Ive had different tobacco do different things. With al waha i move the coals alot more because it gets harsh alot sooner then a tobacco like fumaris. As long as you move the coals when it starts to get harsh you should be fine.

Also kind of depends wether or not your smoking more for clouds or flavor. With clouds you can let it sit more where as flavor your moving them alot with 3 brickettes instead of four.

listen to someone who has smoked tangiers before you try anything crazy...

the touch will always have the charred remains of the tobacco on it if youre packing tangiers from my experience. youre just not smoking it long enough. I've smoked a small phunnel for 8 hours once (granted at the end there was no flavor) but when I took the foil off the tobacco came off as a donut stuck to the foil (which happens nearly all the time if youre smoking 4+ hours).

I throw on 4-5 sets of exotica coals (3/4 stick each time) for a single bowl of tangiers...if you don't smoke that long you can always reuse the uncharred remains.

I agree with scoop. When I pack a bowl either my hemi or medium phunnel I go through several sets of coals before I finish it off. Smoke Tangiers Horchata Last night for 4 hours, new set of coals every hour and it was probably 90% spent by the end of it.

I would get a shallower bowl if you don't have the time to spend on it, or just add new coals every hour.

QUOTE (Stuie @ Jun 3 2008, 02:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with scoop. When I pack a bowl either my hemi or medium phunnel I go through several sets of coals before I finish it off. Smoke Tangiers Horchata Last night for 4 hours, new set of coals every hour and it was probably 90% spent by the end of it.

I would get a shallower bowl if you don't have the time to spend on it, or just add new coals every hour.

Ya tangiers can even last that long in a regular bowl if you play your cards right.

QUOTE (Scoop @ Jun 3 2008, 04:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
listen to someone who has smoked tangiers before you try anything crazy...

the touch will always have the charred remains of the tobacco on it if youre packing tangiers from my experience. youre just not smoking it long enough. I've smoked a small phunnel for 8 hours once (granted at the end there was no flavor) but when I took the foil off the tobacco came off as a donut stuck to the foil (which happens nearly all the time if youre smoking 4+ hours).

I throw on 4-5 sets of exotica coals (3/4 stick each time) for a single bowl of tangiers...if you don't smoke that long you can always reuse the uncharred remains.

So I am doing nothing wrong, If I continue to smoke it with new coals it will eventually all be stuck to the foil as 1 big puck.

And if i don't wanna smoke it that long ill just remove the old junk add a little new and be good.

Thanks Scoop.