"flavor" + Shisha?

So, I hear a lot about the flavor of shisha.

I've smoked it numerous times.. at the lounge and packed at home. However, no matter what I can never "taste" the shisha. The only time I could distinguish any flavors whatsoever is when I blow it out my nose, and only then can I smell it.. never taste though.

So whats the deal? Are my tastebuds really that fucked, or has the lounge and myself been packing wrong?

Here's what I have smoked..

Fantasia cotton candy
Fantasia green apple martini
Fantasia peach fuzzy navel
forget-the-name-brand vanilla

I've tried drinking water before I smoke, but no matter what I can never really genuinely TASTE the shisha.. only smell when I blow it out my nose.

When people say taste, are they really referring to smell?? Is my smoking technique wrong? I just breathe in, keep it in my mouth for a second or two and breath out...

Any input please help haha

QUOTE (r1v3th3ad @ Apr 15 2008, 07:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
how do you pack, how many coals do you use, whats your setup?

I take it out of the package with my forefinger and thumb, and sorta "sprinkle" it in the bowl. I'm using a traditional egyptian bowl. I leave about 1/4 inch between the top of the shisha and the foil. Wrap the foil on tight, use a toothpick or the spoke on my tongs to poke numerous holes in it just like I've seen in pictures. I use two 33mm coals on top with about 1/4 of the coal hanging off the edge.

I get pretty good smoke out of it.. just no flavor! all smell.... even when I was in the hookah bar

It sounds like you're doing everything correctly. Its surprising that you haven't tasted Fantasia! That's one of my favorite brands, and you should definetly be tasting that stuff no matter the flavor. I would do as mentioned above. Try packing more in the bowl, and yes...it is ok to pack a little bit. Try larger holes in the foil, and if all that doesn't work, use warm water in the base (it amps up the flavor).

If you still get nothing, try Tangiers. tongue.gif

QUOTE (bjelder @ Apr 15 2008, 08:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, I hear a lot about the flavor of shisha.

I've smoked it numerous times.. at the lounge and packed at home. However, no matter what I can never "taste" the shisha. The only time I could distinguish any flavors whatsoever is when I blow it out my nose, and only then can I smell it.. never taste though.

So whats the deal? Are my tastebuds really that fucked, or has the lounge and myself been packing wrong?

Here's what I have smoked..

Fantasia cotton candy
Fantasia green apple martini
Fantasia peach fuzzy navel
forget-the-name-brand vanilla

I've tried drinking water before I smoke, but no matter what I can never really genuinely TASTE the shisha.. only smell when I blow it out my nose.

When people say taste, are they really referring to smell?? Is my smoking technique wrong? I just breathe in, keep it in my mouth for a second or two and breath out...

Any input please help haha

sorry, if you can smoke fantasia cotton candy there is no hope for you. youll never be able to taste it..

to be honest it took me a while to taste the flavors.

Is it harsh? Heat management could be a problem. If it gets too hot or too cool, you get no flavor. I've met a couple people who thought smoking hookah was supposed to be a little harsh, and since they were used to smoking cigarettes, it never phased them. You want it to be like breathing sweet air.

To me, that sounds like a lot of coal, if you have it hanging off the edge. My Fantasia Peach Fuzzy Navel doesn't take a lot of heat to get a good smoke, and I get plenty of flavor out of it. On my KM bowl, I have 1-1 1/2 3k coals (also 33mm) on it, and they don't go off the edge, and are perfect.

Try a deep inhale (if it's not harsh), as that provides the best flavor experience, IMO. Another thing to try, which I like to do sometimes, is use your tongue to 'nozzle' the incoming smoke. Basically making it a small hole so it becomes a jet onto your tongue. That gives a nice strong flavor.

I'm the same as the op. What other people describe as really strong tastes are just hints for me.

Closest I got to feeling a flavour was with:
Tangiers Cocoa
Nakhla DA
Nakhla Mint
AA Cherry
AF Grape
AW After 9

But they're strong hints at best. AF Strawberry and SB White Peach are even fainter...

My setup is a KM w/ice chamber, squeaky clean. Washable hose (clean-ish), Coconaras, and the standard Egyptian KM bowl.

I dont really get a full taste either its usually just hints of flavor, it might just be that our tastebuds arent as sensitive as others. I still enjoy smoking though even without a full bodied taste. The most flavor I get are from citrus flavors like orange, pink lemonade, and margarita.

i was always able to taste the flavor, and what i have found as far as tasting the shisha, is put the tip of ur tounge just infront of the the tip of the hose, to me it feels like the flavor is driping onto my tounge

QUOTE (Bushbr @ Apr 15 2008, 06:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i was always able to taste the flavor, and what i have found as far as tasting the shisha, is put the tip of ur tounge just infront of the the tip of the hose, to me it feels like the flavor is driping onto my tounge

I've noticed the flavor like that also it just happens on rare occasions. It feels wierd but I get the most intense flavor that way.

QUOTE (Toxik916 @ Apr 15 2008, 10:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I dont really get a full taste either its usually just hints of flavor, it might just be that our tastebuds arent as sensitive as others. I still enjoy smoking though even without a full bodied taste. The most flavor I get are from citrus flavors like orange, pink lemonade, and margarita.

I remember the first few times I smoked shisha it always had a strong flavour, and I'm pretty sure the place served Nakhla. It's weird because when it comes to food my taste buds are really sensitive...

BTW: Reducing heat didn't work.

When I first started smoking the flavors weren't too intense for me, but now I know strong flavors from weak flavors very easily. You sorta develop the ability to separate the flavor from the generic hookah taste, basically the less it tastes like hookah tobacco and more like the flavor - the stronger it is. Just keep smoking and trying new brands, and if you still cant taste flavors - then, well you can buy a hella lot of nahkla for cheap and smoke that the rest of your life lol (not that theres anything wrong with the brand, it just isnt known for the most flavor).

Actually, instead of smoking more I was planning to take a break for a few months; maybe my buds are just fried right now? The few-day breaks I took didn't really help but I need to quit for the summer anyway wink.gif

I wouldnt say your taste buds are screwed and all... But I kinda feel your pain...

When I first started smoking I could definitely taste the differences in shisha's... Now, its not so prominant, but I still can guess flavors pretty well...

My best advice is to try something new... I've never had Fantasia, and actually never heard of it before....
Try some brands like Al-Waha, Nakhla and Tangiers. 3 of my most favorite brands.

Yep, with some help I got it figured out for the most part last night. Just wasn't putting enough shisha in, so I was essentially smoking coals.

QUOTE (NoDeadBodies @ Apr 16 2008, 10:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
try a mint tobacco

see if you taste it

like AF mint

Now that you mention it, I was at a friends house and tried his lemon-mint and I could taste it pretty well.

Thanks for the help guys.. proper packing technique and heat management FTW!

I have smoked ciggs and cigars for along time now and hookah for over a year, iv had strong sessions but i think I'm doing something wrong in my new set up. I'm using a 32' Mahsal and a small phunnel bowl and right now I'm trying a new layalina Passion fruit. It smells like real passion fruit juice. Its like i just got off the plane on Kona and was handed a piece at a lou ou. However, when I'm smoking it doesn't seem to make large clouds or have a distinctive taste. It was pretty gooey and I'm using one stick of sultan charcoal broken into 4 parts. How can i maximize the flavor of this brand. there is a big tickle in the back of the throat on this one.