I Need Help If You Can Of Course

ok so, my roomate just recently got put on probation and was therefore assigned a probation officer. they are allowed to make random house visits and search the premises. even my stuff!!!!! but thats not the problem. the problem is that they took one look at our 2 hookahs and told us that they have to go. these hookahs never have and never will be used for anything but shisha. is there anyway around this that anyone knows of. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Claw

QUOTE (clawofodin @ Mar 26 2008, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ok so, my roomate just recently got put on probation and was therefore assigned a probation officer. they are allowed to make random house visits and search the premises. even my stuff!!!!! but thats not the problem. the problem is that they took one look at our 2 hookahs and told us that they have to go. these hookahs never have and never will be used for anything but shisha. is there anyway around this that anyone knows of. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Claw

You could tell them to stick it up their ass, but I doubt that would go over well. lol

QUOTE (J-thehookaholic @ Mar 26 2008, 04:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (clawofodin @ Mar 26 2008, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Claw

You could tell them to stick it up their ass, but I doubt that would go over well. lol

hmm......they had guns so no

theres nothign legally that they can do, its like looking at cigs and saying you cannot smoke them, did you explain what it was. maybe if you show them.

you should have been firm with them and told them then and showed them the shisha.

if i can smoke hookah in the military theres no reason you cant have a hookah in your home

edit

one of my buddies thats on probation smokes with me aswell, hes actually wanting to buy a hookah Edited by Canon

QUOTE (Canon @ Mar 26 2008, 03:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
theres nothign legally that they can do, its like looking at cigs and saying you cannot smoke them, did you explain what it was. maybe if you show them.

you should have been firm with them and told them then and showed them the shisha.

if i can smoke hookah in the military theres no reason you cant have a hookah in your home

edit

one of my buddies thats on probation smokes with me aswell, hes actually wanting to buy a hookah

That is exactly what I was going to say.

thanks alot guys.i dont know about the cabinet idea im pretty public with my smoke plus they search everywhere. i tried to educate them and we showed them the shisha. but if they had called my baby a "BONG" one more time i was gonna kick some ass.

tell them they will have to see you in court before you get rid of it. Tell them its not illegal and is not intended or used for drugs. He legally can do nothing other than saying you defied his authority...but that authority is like said above "get rid of those cigarettes"...
my last day of probation, earlier this month, I told my probation officer all about hookah and he wouldn't believe it...just thought it was a temporary substitute

if the shit hits the fan, call up the ACLU

QUOTE (clawofodin @ Mar 28 2008, 04:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
oh and whats the ACLU

American Civil Liberties Union

they just recently fought and won for a group here on campus to be able to do a flag burning in a demonstration of anti-war/freedom of speech

QUOTE (mushrat @ Mar 28 2008, 05:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tell them the hookahs are yours and YOU are not on probation so they have no juristiction. Ask to speak with THEIR supervisors if necessary. Do it nicely, but insist.

good point but also +1 to what everyone has said.

There is NO WAY they can tell you to take them away,
1stly you are not on probation
2ndly it is your right to smoke hookah with shisha just as much as it someone elses right to smoke ciggaretes and cigars

you are legaly aloud to, so they can't do jack squat about it!!!

-H&S

o, i misread and thought that you were on proby...in that case, if he doesnt listen to logic, just tell him to shove it because there is nothing he can do

In most states I would think it has allot to do with where your hookah is kept, and the division of "common" area.
the PO has the final say, roommie has zero rights, is in essence a limited ward of the state until released. If the PO is an uninformed sort that calls a hookah something that it is not, he has that legal right in most states. If he decides your roomie can't own any yellow plastic cups, or pink plastic flowers, he has that legal right, and they will have to go, or it's a violation. Now you can go sit in front of the judge and argue a point that yellow cups, pink flowers, and hookahs are legal, maybe even win a judges OK... but that sounds like a PITA.

Easier to call them yours, and keep them in your room.

BTW, get a secure lock on your door, and think about using a separate designation for your address, like call you room APT B. A separate address, and secure door are a prima facia defense against a search. Under probation/parole rules the PO doesn't need a warrant to root through your crap otherwise. At least in this state.

QUOTE (TheScotsman @ Mar 28 2008, 08:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In most states I would think it has allot to do with where your hookah is kept, and the division of "common" area.
the PO has the final say, roommie has zero rights, is in essence a limited ward of the state until released. If the PO is an uninformed sort that calls a hookah something that it is not, he has that legal right in most states. If he decides your roomie can't own any yellow plastic cups, or pink plastic flowers, he has that legal right, and they will have to go, or it's a violation. Now you can go sit in front of the judge and argue a point that yellow cups, pink flowers, and hookahs are legal, maybe even win a judges OK... but that sounds like a PITA.

BTW, get a secure lock on your door, and think about using a separate designation for your address, like call you room APT B. A separate address, and secure door are a prima facia defense against a search. Under probation/parole rules the PO doesn't need a warrant to root through your crap otherwise. At least in this state.

pretty good advice there.

+1 on the splitting up your room from his

-H&S

QUOTE (TheScotsman @ Mar 28 2008, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QUOTE (ilikemyusername @ Mar 28 2008, 10:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
if all else fails...bfg 9000 anyone?

+1 and +1 to all

the seperate and designate thing is pure freakin genius, the only thing that worries me however is the fact that the law here in kentucky gives absolutly no leeway for liberal interpretation. i.e. P.O. will find a way to screw us. but maybe will get lucky, getting a new place here in about two weeks so definantly gonna run the seperation idea by the landlord.

and btw bfg 9000........lolz

QUOTE (clawofodin @ Apr 2 2008, 01:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
aight guys this situation is only a few steps from being resolved.
a big thanks to you guys for the advice.
and a win for all us hookah lovers.

Could you elaborate on how the situation got better? I think it would be useful for the forum smile.gif