"cloves" / Kreteks

RPhil

Reading http://www.hookahforum.com/index.php?showtopic=7603 , I thought I'd make a thread more dedicated to cloves.

Aside from the occasionaly cigar, cloves were my first "regular" smoke.

For me, Djarums are easily the best (and only around to my knowledge) clove to smoke. More specifically, Blacks.

The first time I tried them, I was drunk, and thought they tasted pretty good. I've tried Djarum Menthols, Bali Hais, Cherrys, Splashes, and others also. My first, and still favorite, are the Blacks. They are rather strong and spicy. I enjoy that, because it deviates from the traditional cigarette.

Smoking them after I'm a few beers down and already am feeling a small buzz is a wonderful feeling.

Feel free to share thoughts/opinions/experiences with cloves! Edited by RPhil

I love all of the above...
I discovered cloves through my days of avid activism in the goth scene tongue.gif

I haven't been able to find the Djarham Vanillas in a while

Its just too bad cloves cost soooo much money

i had discovered cloves though the little tobacco shop that i had worked at for a while and still smoke them once in a while, hookahs have taken over that need now but blacks are one of the most amazing guilty pleasures

QUOTE (Cybersist @ Mar 25 2008, 06:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ive seen a box of blacks for around 6 or 7. not much cheaper though

College Park 'eh? I might be paying UMD a visit shortly... could very well be going there for the next 4 years of my life.

QUOTE (chinamon @ Mar 25 2008, 10:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i have never smoked a clove cigarette. what is the purpose of them? what do you get out of smoking them?
i smoke regular cigarettes because i need the nicotine. biggrin.gif

I've never smoked "normal" cigarettes. They are basically cigarettes with enhanced flavor. Illegal in many states because, basically, they taste so good that the local government thinks it will encourage underage smoking. I believe so, at least

When you mention kreteks. I remember my trip to Indonesia..so wonderful country..
There, kretek or kreteks mean strong taste cigarette..made by home industry or by big company...then for the lower nicotine level cigarette they called it filter..
Djarhum..hm..looks similar with an old brand in Indonesia..name Djarum..Djarum has many tastes too, they also produces kretek and filter cigarette..Almost forgot! I'm new here. Hi to everybody!

QUOTE (Henry_Royter @ Mar 25 2008, 07:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When you mention kreteks. I remember my trip to Indonesia..so wonderful country..
There, kretek or kreteks mean strong taste cigarette..made by home industry or by big company...then for the lower nicotine level cigarette they called it filter..
Djarhum..hm..looks similar with an old brand in Indonesia..name Djarum..Djarum has many tastes too, they also produces kretek and filter cigarette..Almost forgot! I'm new here. Hi to everybody!

We are talking about Djarum i think he just misspelled it. They are the same ones.

Oh, Ok SmokinMoose! Thanks! I thought there is another brand..Yup it's originally from Indonesia. Djarum, hm..other that famous too is Sampoerna.. I think hookah is still new there..but cigarette as the local product,can call them the best...kretek yes very strong!! but the filter cigarette,they make many tastes on that,like menthol,even cappucino taste. Very nice Djarum, very nice country, very very nice people...Love it!

QUOTE (r1v3th3ad @ Mar 25 2008, 03:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I always wanted to get a carton of blacks, but you can't buy them in bulk sad.gif

I can get cartons down here in San Antonio, just gotta make sure you know the day there getting the new shipments in.

they are illegal in some use states

because of the clove in it

it also has a chemical in it that will numb your throat so it goes down smooth

gives you a VERY different buzz than cigs, so they are meant as like a snack lol

QUOTE (chinamon @ Mar 25 2008, 10:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i have never smoked a clove cigarette. what is the purpose of them? what do you get out of smoking them?
i smoke regular cigarettes because i need the nicotine. biggrin.gif

There is somehitng in the smoke that induces a slight bleedng in the lungs that somehow ammounts to a weird buzz. That's what I understand at least. Personaly, I hate the things, I gag everytime I walk by someone smoking one on campus.

Kreteks don't actually cause the lungs to bleed, that's an urban myth.

They have a chemical in it that causes a numbing sensation in the throat and mouth that makes them easy to inhale. They are ok once in a while but I cannot smoke them regularly. Menthols all the way smile.gif

I am amazed that many people like the blacks. I have grown to hate them over time compared to Djarum Supers. They advertise that the supers use a special clove blend different from the others. The supers last probably 1.5-2x longer than a regular Bali Hai. If you liked the lights or bali hai's, I recommend trying the supers.

Cloves are nice every once in a while.

They're illegal in some states because they contain a compound called eugenol that essentially numbs your throat, which can be dangerous if you've had too much to drink. They also contain fiberglass (like menthols), and so are much worse for you than most other cigs.

Another thing I've noticed is that a lot of the great taste is in the paper they're wrapped with. I wish they'd wrap everything with that stuff.