Techno

Canon

so, i just got 100 techno songs and i was wondering what you guys think, i was thinking of having this stuff along with rap/rock in my hookah bar that i will eventually open up.

would you go to a bar that serves good hookahs and has techno playing?

as far as volume goes, its not going to be blaring loud but its more of a background noise.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are different types of techno (and I'm not up on all of them...most for that matter). Do you have the type of stuff where it is the remix of an existing song to be like a club mix or full out techno like that "sandstorm" song.

If its the first I could easily deal with that, I've heard some great remixes... If you're really looking to find some good stuff download episodes of "a state of trance" by armin van buuren. Its a weekly radio show that features a ton of different DJs and remixes. You can find the torrents on piratebay.org

I love techno. If you are gonna play it in a lounge or something I highly suggest investing in some albums by a band called Bond. You'll see why they ar great for a hookah lounge when you hear them. LEt me know what you think of them Btw.

I love listening to ambient beats when I smoke as long as it isn't too upbeat

+1 on ratatat, I love them

I've been meaning to listen to RJD2 to add to to my playlist, I hear great things

I'm into electronica (trance, ebm, synthpop, and industrial, to be exact) but not techno. Most "techno" wouldn't be appealing to the masses because of its redundant beats and loud synths. Epic/melodic/chill trance would be the best bet for a lounge, imo Edited by Hookah_Bob3

Well techno is such a big Genre.

There is many different kinds of "techno". Trance, breakbeats, electronic, progressive house, house, ambient, hardcore. Many more.

I love trance and breakbeats. I spin breaks mainly but also trance when i am in the mood.
I probably have over 40gigs of Techno and Hundreds of vinyl

But to answer the question, I like going to some hookah bars and listening to trance/ambient music.Majority of what I really listen to is techno, so I dont mind it at all. Edited by waterboi

QUOTE (Canon @ Mar 17 2008, 05:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
would you go to a bar that serves good hookahs and has techno playing?

depending on the mood, but i'd rather not. i'd suggest having the techno during weekend evenings to cater to the partygoing crowd, during the week many people go to a hookah bar to just relax.

Oolatec, for some reason I never liked what di.fm plays(Maybe I don't listen at the right times...) not a bad station though... wide selection
Anyways, back to the question on would I go to a hookah bar that plays it, answer is yes!!! Techno/Trance is all I listen to..
Butttttt if it were up too me, I would suggest Non Vocal trance (more chill I think)

Also to what phishphood said, if you have an iPod or iTunes, Armin van Buuren has a bunch of his "A State of Trance" mixes on it for podcast downloads. 21 of them, all around 20minutes long
DJ Tiesto has his radio 538 on podcasts, as well as a bunch of other djs

Off topic but, www.puredj.com and liquid.fm are good inet stations
Also, if ANYONE can tell me what the hell happened to rise.fm, imo they had the best mixes. Edited by avtomat

I love vocal trance! I wish the lounges here played it. Paul van dyk's album in between is amazing. I just bought two George acosta CDs and those are bomb too! Armin, tiesto, ATB, above and beyond, ferry cornsten, delirium, deadmouse, David guetta, and I can keep going and going.

QUOTE (avtomat @ Mar 17 2008, 08:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oolatec, for some reason I never liked what di.fm plays(Maybe I don't listen at the right times...) not a bad station though... wide selection
Anyways, back to the question on would I go to a hookah bar that plays it, answer is yes!!! Techno/Trance is all I listen to..
Butttttt if it were up too me, I would suggest Non Vocal trance (more chill I think)

Also to what phishphood said, if you have an iPod or iTunes, Armin van Buuren has a bunch of his "A State of Trance" mixes on it for podcast downloads. 21 of them, all around 20minutes long
DJ Tiesto has his radio 538 on podcasts, as well as a bunch of other djs

Off topic but, www.puredj.com and liquid.fm are good inet stations
Also, if ANYONE can tell me what the hell happened to rise.fm, imo they had the best mixes.

Yeah they seem to change up the techno channel a lot during the day... some weird stuff for sure. But most of the good stuff is played at night... even on the DJ Mixes/GOA channels. smile.gif

Then there is always PureDJ.com... and soma.fm for those mellower occasions...

QUOTE (waterboi @ Mar 17 2008, 10:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is many different kinds of "techno". Trance, breakbeats, electronic, progressive house, house, ambient, hardcore. Many more.

I love trance and breakbeats. I spin breaks mainly but also trance when i am in the mood.

But to answer the question, I like going to some hookah bars and listening to trance/ambient music.Majority of what I really listen to is techno, so I dont mind it at all.

techno is techno. it is not house or trance or progressive or breaks or whatever.
people that dont have the knowledge of electronic dance music always mistake techno as the parent genre.

edit: to answer the original post, i think techno would generally be a little too hard to play at a hookah lounge. epic/uplifting trance, progressive house/trance, tech house, deep house, minimal techno and maybe some tribal house would be good. this is just my opinion, of course. Edited by chinamon

QUOTE (chinamon @ Mar 17 2008, 11:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (waterboi @ Mar 17 2008, 10:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But to answer the question, I like going to some hookah bars and listening to trance/ambient music.Majority of what I really listen to is techno, so I dont mind it at all.

techno is techno. it is not house or trance or progressive or breaks or whatever.
people that dont have the knowledge of electronic dance music always mistake techno as the parent genre.

edit: to answer the original post, i think techno would generally be a little too hard to play at a hookah lounge. epic/uplifting trance, progressive house/trance, tech house, deep house, minimal techno and maybe some tribal house would be good. this is just my opinion, of course.

Said well. That is what I was trying to say but couldnt get it out. That is why I put techno in quotation marks. Thanks wink.gif

for those who care...
john digweed's essential mix from october 2007 is phenomenal. definitely one of my favourite sets from 2007.

my friends, djs manzone & strong, are two very popular house djs here. they have played alongside many of the world's biggest names.
here is their latest set if you feel like taking a listen.

DJs Manzone & Strong - Live @ This Is London Club (Feb 8, 2008)
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Part 1: http://www.crackedmeup.com/manzoneandstron...02-08-2008).mp3
Part 2: http://www.crackedmeup.com/manzoneandstron...02-08-2008).mp3
right-click... save as...

www.thisislondonclub.com
this is the club that i work at on fridays

QUOTE (chinamon @ Mar 17 2008, 11:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
for those who care...
john digweed's essential mix from october 2007 is phenomenal. definitely one of my favourite sets from 2007.

my friends, djs manzone & strong, are two very popular house djs here. they have played alongside many of the world's biggest names.
here is their latest set if you feel like taking a listen.

DJs Manzone & Strong - Live @ This Is London Club (Feb 8, 2008)
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Part 1: http://www.crackedmeup.com/manzoneandstron...02-08-2008).mp3
Part 2: http://www.crackedmeup.com/manzoneandstron...02-08-2008).mp3
right-click... save as...

www.thisislondonclub.com
this is the club that i work at on fridays

John Digweed is a really good DJ. I have alot of his mixes. Thanks man.

For a hookah bar... maybe psychill.

Something like Shpongle or Hallucinogen. Unfortunately, they both have a lot of drug references, so a hookah bar might not be too good for those particular sets. Look around and you'll find something good.

I say psychill because I'd want something ambient that sounds good, but calm at the same time in a hookah bar.

For techno in general, I like Infected Mushroom, Shpongle, Hallucinogen, Philter, and SOME of prodigy. Psytrance is amazing.

Try this site. It's how I found Philter.

http://www.psyradio.fm/

QUOTE (St. Goodypants @ Mar 18 2008, 06:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Infected Mushroom

we have them here on thursday night (amongst many other djs.. big event)
not a fan of I.M. though.. ive seen them quite a few times and their sets always sound the same.
mstrkrft is playing as well (woot!)
so is exacta
and sander van doorn
and others...

QUOTE (St. Goodypants @ Mar 18 2008, 10:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For a hookah bar... maybe psychill.

Something like Shpongle or Hallucinogen. Unfortunately, they both have a lot of drug references, so a hookah bar might not be too good for those particular sets. Look around and you'll find something good.

I say psychill because I'd want something ambient that sounds good, but calm at the same time in a hookah bar.

For techno in general, I like Infected Mushroom, Shpongle, Hallucinogen, Philter, and SOME of prodigy. Psytrance is amazing.

Try this site. It's how I found Philter.

http://www.psyradio.fm/

I agree it creates a better vibe but it might freak out some customers.