Help! Why Is It So Harsh/ashie?!?!

alright. so i have a pretty big hookah ...

its got a blue glass base with an alu body and just bout everythign else.

my question is WHY ON EARTH is my hookah so harsh/ashie.......so much that it makes me cough.

ive read many DIY and watched many "how to set it up" videos on youtube and such.....but its not helping...

the only thing i can think of is the COALS im using...

im using "planet wood charcoals"

im also using STARBUZZ tobacc. and thick alu foil (its actually the bottom of my pie alu)

im poking bout 15-20 small holes in it with a decent sized paper clip (use as poker)

i ice my water and its COLD.

what could be the problem???

BTW, after bout 1hr of smoking kinda harsh hookah, it starts getting less harsh...

so what could be the problems???

help help help...thank you.

james Edited by sl33pyriceboi

1. Are those coals meant for hookah? If no get some meant for hookah!
2. Use Aluminum foil
3.If the coals are appropriate use lees and move to the outer edge of the bowl.
4.Poke a bunch of tiny holes with like the very tip of a toothpick.

yea. they are "ment" for hookah, cuz i bought it from a smoke shop n he siad thats what he recomended.

as for the foil, i read that its really good to use the alu. foil from a pie...and such.

but its strange, cuz after bout 20mins of smoking it, it tastes good. not harsh.

mabee im putting too much tabaccO?

but i put a lil more dense in the middle, and i left the edges with less tobacco. and i do put the coals on the outter side.

any other help will be much much appreciated.

thank you in adv everyone!

too much heat. try breaking the coal in half and putting the halves on opposite sides of the bowl. MAKE SURE the coals are completely red hot/ashed over before you put them on. when im feeling lazy, i leave the coals a bit black and since they use a strong smelling lighting aid, it tastes crap for a few mins...

I don't know if I'm the only one, but I don't think you should come here asking for advice or to ask for our help with a problem, and then just throw out what we say.

Use aluminum foil for one thing, not the thick stuff from a pie tin and use less heat

QUOTE (sl33pyriceboi @ Mar 9 2008, 04:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yea. they are "ment" for hookah, cuz i bought it from a smoke shop n he siad thats what he recomended.

as for the foil, i read that its really good to use the alu. foil from a pie...and such.

but its strange, cuz after bout 20mins of smoking it, it tastes good. not harsh.

mabee im putting too much tabaccO?

but i put a lil more dense in the middle, and i left the edges with less tobacco. and i do put the coals on the outter side.

any other help will be much much appreciated.

thank you in adv everyone!

You also said Wood Charcoal....I dont think its for hookah, for hookah coals you would probably need Quicklights or natural hookah coal and use Tinfoil! not the hard pie tin shit!

non of the DIY videos you pie pan for foil. You actually have to use something like Reynolds foil. Make sure your coals are red all over and use less. Take pictures and post them it hepls pinpoint the problem.

your best bet is to go and get one (or two) of the following:

3 Kings Quicklite Coals or Exoticas.

Quicklights are going to be your best bet, they're the easiest.

Are you possibly packing your shisha too much? Just 'sprinkle' it in, NO packing, what so ever.

I smoke the StarBuzz so maybe this will help. Like most have said here, get the foil like Reynold's. Next try the 3 kings coals. I actually don't break it into peices when I'm using my Mya (deep) bowl but I keep it on a far edge and I actually get two full uses out of it. If I have to use a modern bowl, I'll only break it into 2 pieces. By the way, i have 33mm ones right now. as far as the hole pattern i start on the outside and spiral into the middle leaving almost a full four rings of holes. make sure your rotate the coal around the bowl slowly working it into the middle. Well that's what I do. Edited by crisbeatz