Hookah Your Only Hobby?

bassman65

Hey I was just wondering what other hobbies people like to spend their money on with maybe a quick explanation. I noticed a lot of people are in to cars etc...

Personally, my other hobbies cost me a ton, so I feel guilty spending money on hookah and delaying my other, future purchases.

Guitar: takes up a TON of money, and I'm always subject to random gear acquisition urges. I used to play just straight into my amp, but recently I fell into the vast world of boutique effect pedals, which are easy to become obsessed over and quite expensive. For those who don't know what I'm talking about, effects pedals are just little boxes you put in the chain before your amp that you press and they alter your sound (add echo, make the sound sputter, make the sound fuzzy/distorted, etc.) Boutique effects are handmade, overpriced, etc., but I'm on a quest of "perfecting" my sound.

Video games: I really don't spend money on video games at all. Actually, I never even play them now that I'm at college. However, the one video game that I do play, super smash brothers, is coming out with a new edition tomorrow for the Wii, which I don't even own. I'd have to buy the system and the game (300$+) just to enjoy it with my friends.

Art: Really, this takes up no money at all, but its a hobby of mine, so I thought I'd mention it. I just take paint from the arts center, and find scrap wood or cardboard to work on.

Sorry if this has been done before.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets see. The two hobbies that consistently require some money from me are hookah supplies and video games. But my other hobbies include golf and billiards. Golf requires me to buy golf balls, tee's, etc and billiards I get into buy chalk squares, new billiard sticks, etc. By hookah supplies definitely tend to take up a good chunk of my change.

i spin records. Tribal House on 12" vinyl. the average record is $7 to $10 each. and that's usually just one or two tracks, plus maybe a remix or two. i purchase at least $50 worth of vinyl at a time so i can get free shipping and i would do that like once every few months. i havn't bought records in a while, though. so my wallet isn't in as much pain as usual. lol. it's a pretty satisfying hobby. i like to sometimes combine the turn tables with the hookah. that's a pretty chill experience. just take puffs in between mixes and stand back and let the music move me. dance.gif there are a couple of other hookah-smokin' DJ's that know what i'm talking about. it's a good time.

BTW, i'd like to encourage everyone to read this post:
http://www.hookahforum.com/index.php?showtopic=18937
i'm trying to get as many posts on there for my wife as possible. smile.gif thanks Edited by Dom

1. VIDEO GAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My life changed forever in 1987, when a close friend of the family gave me an Atari 2600 with Combat and Pac Man. I was in Kindergartener with an Atari... I felt like the beezneez. Then the evolution of gaming began and my collection grew and grew. Christmas 1988, Nintendo Entertainment System with the Mario Bros/Duck Hunt combo and Red/Orange Zapper. 1991, Sega Genesis with Sonic the Hedgehog. 1993 Super Nintendo Entertainment System with The Legend of Zelda, a Link to the Past, and Street Fighter II. 1996, Nintendo 64 with Mario 64 and Pilotwings 64. 1998, Playstation with no games. I waited on picking up the playstation because I was such a hardcore Nintendo Fan boy. I didn't buy any games at first, so I was borrowing games from friends. First games purchased were Castlevania Symphony of the Night and Street Fighter Alpha. 2001, Nintendo Gamecube with Wave Race Blue Storm, Star Wars Rogue Squadron, Super Monkey Ball, and 2 other games that I couldn't remember. 2003, Sega Dreamcast with Marvel vs Capcom 2, Crazy Taxi, and Dead or Alive 2. 2005, XBOX with Halo 2. 2006, Playstation 2 with Final Fantasy XII. 2007, Nintendo Wii with Wii Sports of course, Zelda Twilight Princess, Super Monkey Ball 2, and Rayman Raving Rabbids. 2008, XBOX 360 with Halo 3 and Call of Duty 4. I also picked up a 2nd Generation Game Boy Advanced and a Nintendo DS and Nintendo DS Lite. PC Gaming was also big for me for a few years, playing the Unreal Tournament Series and the Call of Duty Series.

In terms of all the systems combined, I probably owned close to or around 300 games... Making this my #1 hobby.

2. MUSIC. CD Collection breached 700. But now it's all about the MP3s. I own 2 electric guitars and an acoustic guitar, and I play out of a Line 6 Spider series combo practice amp. I've been playing guitar off and on for 10 years and love it. I also was really into going to shows/concerts. Probably went to 2 a month, and bought a band shirt and other merch. at the show. My favorite bands right now are The Black Dahlia Murder, Blood Brothers, Explosions in the Sky, Blonde Redhead, Radiohead, Ion Dissonance, Cursive, Joy Division, Smashing Pumpkins, Interpol, and Meshuggah. For all you video game fans, check out the bands the Minibosses and the Advantage. Both bands do video game covers and are pure awesome.

3. SOCIAL WORK. A huge part of my life. Left the computer science field to become a Child Welfare Social Worker... Working with families who want to do foster care or adopt and get kids out of the system. It pays shite but it's fulfilling. Also, I found out that the Social Work field is roughly 85% Women... WHich is damn nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love my job, I love my fiancee (who is also a social worker), and I love the people I work with. There's about 20 of us from work that get together monthly for "game night," which consists of a potluck, board games, hookah (you'd best believe I'd be bringin' it!!!!!!), and good beer/wine/cocktails. Not to mention all the Happy Hours...

4. TRAVEL. I've been to the East Coast and the West Coast, Amsterdam, Frankfurt Germany, Saudi Arabia, Hong Kong, and Vietnam. I think it's essential for everybody to travel out of their own country and experience different cultures. It's a good wake up call and makes you realize that there's a whole world out there and you make up 0.00000000000010% of it.

5. FOOD. Some people have dead or mellow taste buds, but not me. I love going out to restaurants and trying new foods and beers.

Hookah of course is a huge hobby too. 7 years of smoking hookah, a current collection of over 70 different shisha brands/flavors, and 6 hookahs. I also believe in Hookah Charity... giving hookahs to people that are lacking one.
I'm lovin' life. Edited by MrMoodz

Hookah and DJing. Vinyl is rather expensive. I try to purchase 6-7 records every two weeks so that adds up pretty fast.
Nothing like setting up a hookah and throwing on some breakbeats.
Cars was a hobby but I am done with my car for now till I get a new one.

Hobbies:

Wrestling: I wrestle in the offseason like 3-4 times a week in practice then maybe two tournaments a month. My number one priority during season. I love it!

Gym: I go to the gym with three of my friends everyday right after school.

Music: I go to a concert a month.

Chorus: I sing in my school choir, a church, and a band(not too serious though). And ive been known to bust a rhyme every once in awhile.

Anyone else wrestle here?

QUOTE (mathuv @ Mar 8 2008, 05:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
guitar and hookah....unfortunatley i dont have much money so im stuck with shit gear, fender squier strat and an orange 15W amp...no effects

Aww man...I feel for you, my guitar was a Squier. I hated that thing but at least its not the worst guitar you could get.

By the way, hobbies

Guitar, Drums, Bass, Vocals
Retro Video Games
Skateboarding on occaision
Enjoying delicious beverages
Collecting MST3K dvd's (yeah, I'm a little bit of a nerd)

Filmmaking - More than just a hobby really. It is one of my current majors, but I love it. This one is gona set me back about 10 grand in the next few months.
Halo - do we really need a description?
Rugby - It's a sport that 97% of us Americans have never heard of, much less played. But I played for two years for my previous college, there is talk of restarting the team that used to be at my current school. I hope this is true.
Guitar - but not to the point of spending more money than I already have.

QUOTE (taquitos459 @ Mar 8 2008, 10:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
im actually a semi pro paintballer and get to travel a lot. takes up a good portion of my time cuz i also work at a paintball shop too haha.

I used to paintball.

Actually, i like to build/tune my car and track it. Ive been into cars since i can remember.... Its my #1 hobby

Guitar, biking, snowboarding, frolfing, reading, paintball was the best in highschool, various activities with the gf, anything interesting. Hookah is just another fun activity set for the weekends.

Hookah constitutes about 5-10% of my paychecks per order.

-QM Edited by QuiltedMaple

Movies, music, photography, golf, sports in general, video games, martial arts!

I enjoy nearly everything. I love my martial arts the most. Muay Thai in particular. I'm thinking of going BJJ soon so its grappling techniques can compliment the Muay Thai which is a striking style. Yay for beating the crap out of drunken people who are trying to hurt someone else while I'm drunk as well!

Golfing, Disc golfing, snowboarding, drinking (this is a legit hooby in college, correct?), lifting (not sure about hobby, but its an activity that I'm very into)

QUOTE (Jeff_T @ Mar 8 2008, 07:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Golfing, Disc golfing, snowboarding, drinking (this is a legit hooby in college, correct?), lifting (not sure about hobby, but its an activity that I'm very into)

Ahh yes! anothor Frisbee/Disc golfer, the best way to spend summer (well at least in northern indiana) and yes, drinking is a hobby in college.

But yea, i bowl constantly (my bro runs a pro shop, im actually in here now), music, used to play the drums, and rc cars

QUOTE (MechAnt @ Mar 8 2008, 02:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Movies, music, photography, golf, sports in general, video games, martial arts!

I enjoy nearly everything. I love my martial arts the most. Muay Thai in particular. I'm thinking of going BJJ soon so its grappling techniques can compliment the Muay Thai which is a striking style. Yay for beating the crap out of drunken people who are trying to hurt someone else while I'm drunk as well!

Sounds like the standard MMA combo. Yay for Muay Thai! I used to do judo for a while, and our sensei used to train the olympic team. I wished I stayed with it.

I make music visualizers, play video games, use music mixers to make trance (yup the cost is $0), and I play guitar.

Guitar doesn't need to be too expensive. I've got a $200 tube amplifier, my AX7221 customized 7-string which was also $200 (bought it used from the guy who did the job, it's pretty unbelievable), a $50 distortion pedal, and a $120 Wah. So my price tag was around $570, and I'm really damn happy with the way my setup sounds.

I like working with computers.

I love to fish, my greatest passion. I spend probably $1500 on fishing annually. I go all over Northern California usually fishing rivers, lakes, and creeks. One of the most relaxing and at the same time exhilarating activities that I've ever done.

I like to play pool as well. We usually go to pool halls and bars. I want to start competing once I get really good.