Tangiers Help

I have read all the how to pack bowl threads and stuff but I can't seem to do it. It doesn't necessarily taste burnt but it doesn't taste good either. I let it acclimate until the smell changes and I'm packing in a small phunnel bowl with a lot of big holes which are poked all the way to the bottom. I am over packing but not A LOT because I don't think thats the issue and compared to some of the how-to posts I already pack more then they do. Plus I don't feel like wasting the tobacco either. Im using two coconara coals so I'm not over heating it. Any ideas? I am gonna try double foiling it with 3 rings of holes next time.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (mdl @ Mar 6 2008, 11:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are you able to take photo of the bowl the way you pack it without foil on?

Next time I will. I try to make it look like yours in your how to thread. It even looks the same when I poke the holes.

Do you have any other coals you could try? I've never used the coconara's so I couldn't say if it is actually the coals but I couldn't imagine it would be. What flavor are you smoking?

I tried other coals and it was the same. I don't understand why some people need to pack so much and other are fine with just a little bit over the brim of the bowl. There has to be another issue and overpaking just counters it.

Ok I just packed a bowl and took step by step pictures.

1. This is the first "layer" of tobacco.

2. This is right before I put the foil on.

3. This is the side view

4. This is when I put the foil on and push it down.

5. This is with all the holes poked and I went all the way down as far as I could

I'll let you know how it goes.

That looks like excellent packing. It should be treating you quite well. Make sure the smoke in the vase is thick but you are still able to make out the downstem. If it gets too thick, you will lose flavor and it'll get insanely harsh.

To me it looks like you pushed the foil down to hard. I just push down enough so I can get a good ring around the bowl and just be able to see the imprint of the middle hole. I do not layer the tobacco either. I just pick it up with my fingers and place it in the bowl packed fluffy and then gently push down the foil.

I'm not sure how you placed the coals, also I've never used those, but I use 1/2 exotic coal in 2 pieces (1/4s). I place them on the edge of the bowl, about half the coal on the foil and the other half hanging over the edge. Everything else looks pretty much like I load a bowl. I use an oyster fork and have some more holes than that, but...

So after trying the same bowl for over an hour and a half the bowl seemed like it was burnt. I took of the foil and there was A LOT of tobacco that was still juicy and looked like it just came out of the bag. So I just fluffed that up until it filled up the bowl and re-foiled it. The smoke was thin so I put a wind cover on and it still went back to how it was before =(.

This is like the 4th day of fail for me =/.

If all else fails, acclimate it longer. I've found that I had to acclimate brambleberry about 3 times before it smoked really nice. Continue with the trial and error process. Try getting some jap coals too, I've found that 2 pieces of jap coal on a small funnel gets the clouds going nice without burning the shisha.

Ya I let it acclimate for like 5 hours when I got it and I have been letting it acclimate for at least an hour each time. I got some jap coals ill throw two of them on tomorrow and see what happens. Maybe tomorrow will be better since im supposed to be getting my new KM hookah!

Leave the shisha out overnight to acclimate. The longer you acclimate, usually the better chance that your session will be nice. Depending on the flavor, 5 hours wont nearly be enough. Brambleberry was a 28 hour acclimation time. Horchata was 12. Orange soda was about 8.

QUOTE (voski @ Mar 7 2008, 11:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
lordy 28 hours! holy shit I am putting it outside right now. I hope I don't wake up with flies and shit in it. Do birds like tobacco?

I have no experience with tangiers, so someone correct me if I'm wrong. I'm assuming by acclimating it, you are letting it adjust to the humidity and temperature changes. I would think leaving it outside would screw this up bigtime with the fluctuating temperature and morning dew and such.